Macfarlanes Vacation Scheme Application Form

Gareth Sloman

Standard Member
Jan 17, 2019
Would anyone be able to help me with applying the STAR method to an academic achievement?

I thought it would be straight forward but I’m finding it difficult. The achievement is that I came quite high in my cohort in college and was given an outstanding academic achievement award. So how would I apply the STAR method to this as there isn’t really a clear situation or task, only action and result?

I guess the situation would be that I was at college and the task would be to complete my studies to a high standard, but it sounds really trivial especially in STAR order.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thank you!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Would anyone be able to help me with applying the STAR method to an academic achievement?

I thought it would be straight forward but I’m finding it difficult. The achievement is that I came quite high in my cohort in college and was given an outstanding academic achievement award. So how would I apply the STAR method to this as there isn’t really a clear situation or task, only action and result?

I guess the situation would be that I was at college and the task would be to complete my studies to a high standard, but it sounds really trivial especially in STAR order.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thank you!

STAR is more applicable to situations, which is probably why it feels difficult.

Is there some sort of situation you can think of that applies in this example? Something beyond simply being at college and wanting to do well. For example, did you overcome any obstacles along the way?

Note that if this is just for an application question asking about your academic achievements, you can just state the action and result.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Gareth Sloman

Gareth Sloman

Standard Member
    Jan 17, 2019
    STAR is more applicable to situations, which is probably why it feels difficult.

Is there some sort of situation you can think of that applies in this example? Something beyond simply being at college and wanting to do well. For example, did you overcome any obstacles along the way?

Note that if this is just for an application question asking about your academic achievements, you can just state the action and result.
    Hi Jaysen,

There weren't any obstacles as such, unfortunately, it was pretty straightforward.

This is just for the academic achievements sections on Macfarlanes application, so I think I'll stick to stating the action and result.

Thank you!

Reactions: Jaysen

Gareth Sloman

Standard Member
    Jan 17, 2019
    Hello everyone,

Does anyone had any ideas on the 'other activities section'? This is isn't the same section as ' Use this section to provide details of your non-academic interests. (500 words)', this is a different section that asks you to do this - 'On this page please give details of time spent out of education or work, for example, time spent travelling.'. There are boxes that allow 50 words each.

I've travelled to a few different places and I've been to Glastonbury a few times but I don't know whether that's a good idea to mention.

If anyone has any suggestion, I would love to hear them!

Thanks everyone.

6Demetris

Star Member
    Sep 8, 2019
    Hi guys,

Just thought I'd create this thread so people who are thinking of applying to Macfarlanes can bounce their ideas off each other.

I myself did an Insight Scheme at the firm last year and, as a result, was able to go through the application form in a fair amount of detail with the Graduate Recruitment team (GradRec) which was very helpful.

The form is the following questions:

1. Please provide details of any noteworthy achievements e.g. awards, prizes, positions of responsibility, particular exam marks and your position in your cohort. (500 words) - Refer to academic achievements here, using the STAR structure.

2. Use this section to provide details of your non-academic interests. (500 words) - Refer to Extra Curricular activities here using the STAR structure.

3. Please explain why you are applying to Macfarlanes and what your career ambitions are. (500 words) - the first part of the question seems fairly straightforward i.e. why Macfarlanes but how are you expected to know what your career ambitions are when applying for a vacation scheme? Not sure what to include on that end - would it be as simple as saying 'I want to be a partner in the Corporate/M&A team.'?

4. Please outline the qualities which you think you possess to be a successful lawyer at Macfarlanes. (500 words) - here one of the qualities that GradRec highlighted was teamwork due to the small deal teams that Macfarlanes have. However, other qualities that are listed in their brochure include resilience, determination and communication skills so using the STAR structure would be perfect here.

Then there is a cover letter (with no word limit) which, according to the form, is where you should 'include any information to support your application that is not included in any other part of the form' - Since the other questions are so detailed, GradRec said that it would be completely fine to just include 'Why law?' and introduce yourself here; it doesn't have to be long.

Thanks guys, I hope this is helpful for you and obviously if you agree and/or disagree with the above please let me know! Would love to hear your thoughts :)
    Hello guys, this is an old post but my question relates to Macfarlanes's application anyway. What does it specifically ask in the 'other activities' section? It suggests travelling outside of work or education. Does it mean summer holidays or something more specific which has developed a soft-skill or something?

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hey guys,
    I hope you are all well and safe.

I am currently writing my cover letter and I wanted to mention Macfarlanes 'expertise in private client and tax. I have no whatsoever experience in this area,and I was wondering how can I link their expertise back to me. Can i say that i enjoyed studying tax law both during my Masters in Italy and the LPC?

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018
    Hey guys,

I am currently writing my cover letter and I wanted to mention Macfarlanes 'expertise in private client and tax. I have no whatsoever experience in this area,and I was wondering how can I link their expertise back to me. Can i say that i enjoyed studying tax law both during my Masters in Italy and the LPC?

Have you got a genuine interest in tax law? I would honestly try to deepen your research into the firm and find some reasons which draw you to them which might be a little bit more genuine and easily substantiated through your experiences if this isn't the case. I do think that when it comes to interviews etc, it is best to try and stick to genuine 'why them' reasons as you will be naturally enthusiastic and it means you can respond honestly if you are asked follow-ups or questions which delve a bit deeper into your motivations. Obviously, if you do really have an interest in tax law and this was catalysed by your studies then say it if it is true and authentic as this does serve as evidence.

Reactions: Jaysen and S87

jan28

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 12, 2019
    Hey guys,

I agree with what Alice said above but just as an additional point, if you're finding it difficult to back your interest in tax you can also just mention their private client practice which is definitely one of their USPs. Private client can be easily discussed with any prior experience in customer service, volunteering in legal clinics or anywhere you've had to work with individual clients and customers :)

Last edited:
    Reactions: S87 and Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.