Macfarlanes Vacation Scheme Application Form

Discussion in 'Vacation Schemes and Training Contracts 2018-19' started by Daniel Boden, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Oliver Gilliland

Oliver Gilliland Distinguished Member
    Vacation Schemer

TCLA Credits:
    They took about a month to reply to me and I applied super early so I wouldnt worry too much! Pretty sure they have ACs running all through feb too

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Gareth Sloman

Gareth Sloman Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    Would anyone be able to help me with applying the STAR method to an academic achievement?

I thought it would be straight forward but I’m finding it difficult. The achievement is that I came quite high in my cohort in college and was given an outstanding academic achievement award. So how would I apply the STAR method to this as there isn’t really a clear situation or task, only action and result?

I guess the situation would be that I was at college and the task would be to complete my studies to a high standard, but it sounds really trivial especially in STAR order.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Thank you!

3. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    STAR is more applicable to situations, which is probably why it feels difficult.

Is there some sort of situation you can think of that applies in this example? Something beyond simply being at college and wanting to do well. For example, did you overcome any obstacles along the way?

Note that if this is just for an application question asking about your academic achievements, you can just state the action and result.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gareth Sloman

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jaysen,

There weren't any obstacles as such, unfortunately, it was pretty straightforward.

This is just for the academic achievements sections on Macfarlanes application, so I think I'll stick to stating the action and result.

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gareth Sloman

TCLA Credits:
    Hello everyone,

Does anyone had any ideas on the 'other activities section'? This is isn't the same section as ' Use this section to provide details of your non-academic interests. (500 words)', this is a different section that asks you to do this - 'On this page please give details of time spent out of education or work, for example, time spent travelling.'. There are boxes that allow 50 words each.

I've travelled to a few different places and I've been to Glastonbury a few times but I don't know whether that's a good idea to mention.

If anyone has any suggestion, I would love to hear them!

Thanks everyone.

6. 6Demetris

6Demetris Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hello guys, this is an old post but my question relates to Macfarlanes's application anyway. What does it specifically ask in the 'other activities' section? It suggests travelling outside of work or education. Does it mean summer holidays or something more specific which has developed a soft-skill or something?