TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 3, 2021
Hi guys, just been in a meeting with one of my professors who used to be a partner at a magic circle firm. He's beat me down quite a bit by telling me that my 64% grade average for my second year means that I won't have much success at vac scheme/ training contract applications. What are everyone else's opinions/experiences? I have just been diagnosed with ADHD going into my final year but don't know if firms will care. Feeling really down about this whole thing.
Completely untrue! I had a 63 average and was still able to land a vacation scheme at a US firm, got to an AC for another firm and managed to get past the first stage for a few other firms.

I will say though that I went to a super competitive and tough uni but if you go to a russell group uni you should be ok!

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
Hi guys, just been in a meeting with one of my professors who used to be a partner at a magic circle firm. He's beat me down quite a bit by telling me that my 64% grade average for my second year means that I won't have much success at vac scheme/ training contract applications. What are everyone else's opinions/experiences? I have just been diagnosed with ADHD going into my final year but don't know if firms will care. Feeling really down about this whole thing.
I wouldn't pay much attention to his advice. A 2.1 is the requirement set by most firms (so good on you for getting that 64!). Moreover, I wager your professor doesn't know much about your background, work experiences, your motivations, and mitigating circumstances - which are all important aspects of your application. YOU get to set the narrative in your application - not your professor (with all due respect to him lmao). Good luck and don't let advice like his get you down!

Last edited:
D

daisy_yawn

I got a 64% average in my final year and I was still able to land a vac scheme and get to AC stage at 5 firms (including a magic circle) so far so don't lose hope!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Eurghhhh - I don’t find this at all helpful.

Angry Fire GIF by Gerbert!

His view might be based on his experience at his law firm, but for the vast majority of firms a 64% average is going to be more than enough - and that’s including at other MC firms.

Don’t listen to this dinosaur IMO.

ms167bs

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Nov 17, 2021
Also, does anybody know if firms let you extend TC signing deadlines? I have a Spring Vac Scheme sorted with Weil that I would love to be able to do, but if I get a WVS with another firm I am not sure how long they would give me to sign/maybe swap to the summer vac scheme so I can do my spring scheme. Not sure if people have experience with this

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Also, does anybody know if firms let you extend TC signing deadlines? I have a Spring Vac Scheme sorted with Weil that I would love to be able to do, but if I get a WVS with another firm I am not sure how long they would give me to sign/maybe swap to the summer vac scheme so I can do my spring scheme. Not sure if people have experience with this
General approach is to see if they can offer you an extension, explaining you have an upcoming scheme. If they say no, then you can accept and then renege at a later date, unless there is something in either of your contracts/offer documents that prevents you from doing so (but even then I am not convinced a firm would have the ability to check this, enforce such a rule as your employment doesn't start until the first day of your TC).

ms167bs

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Nov 17, 2021
General approach is to see if they can offer you an extension, explaining you have an upcoming scheme. If they say no, then you can accept and then renege at a later date, unless there is something in either of your contracts/offer documents that prevents you from doing so (but even then I am not convinced a firm would have the ability to check this, enforce such a rule as your employment doesn't start until the first day of your TC).
Yeah my spring scheme contract has a clause which says I can't do it having accepted a TC elsewhere so would be scuppered if the WVS firm didn't let me extend singing. I may ask grad rec before actually accepting the VS although that's a bit cheeky ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.