TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnTCSilVousPlait

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 4, 2021
    DLA Piper updated my application on the portal a few days ago for the first time since submitting it a month ago. I took the WG 3 weeks ago. People who have applied to DLA before, does this mean anything?

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Does anyone know where I can find Mayer Brown competencies or values.
    On their ‘Meet the recruiter’ page for lawcareers.net, they say “At Mayer Brown, we’re looking for hard-working and committed individuals who demonstrate a passion for the work we have on offer for our trainee cohort. We want our trainees to be intellectually curious and business minded. As a firm, we also pride ourselves on our culture, and so we’re looking for authenticity and enthusiasm in our prospective trainees. Throughout the recruitment process, we’ll be testing candidates’ resilience, adaptability, and commercial awareness, as well as placing an emphasis on their knowledge of the legal industry and, specifically, Mayer Brown.”

Also, could I please ask how long it took to receive the test post-application?

• 🤝
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad and AvniD

Ambs123

Legendary Member
    Feb 19, 2021
    Hi @Ambs123- with the attention to detail task, I'm guessing it will be a document checking exercise where you have to identify and correct errors. My best tip for this is to ensure you're reading everything line by line and keeping an eye on grammar, cross-referencing, obvious legal error (misspelling a piece of legislation or including an unrelated one).

As for the commercial awareness exercise, I have a feeling this may be modelled on a classic case study. Have you checked out this article by any chance? It's got some great tips on how you can approach such case studies!
    Hi Avni! Thank you so much for the advice, I will definitely read the article that you have attached :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: AvniD

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    One of the Pinsent Masons VS applications questions is What are the things that have shaped you into the person you are today?

What are they looking for with this? Obviously the things that really shaped me are the things I can't really put on an application like mental illness, trauma etc. All I can think of is my year abroad, but would need to think of something else too. Could I write about books/films/TV shows, or is that too superficial?

Thank you!

starman

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Hey, has anyone had any experience with Withers (vs, tc, ie etc.) and would be willing to tell me a little bit about the firm?

Totally unrelated to applications, I’m just genuinely curious about the firm’s culture and its deals.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    For the question ‘tell us about a news articles that interest you and why?’ Does my answer have to relate to law? And if so, should it be an area of law that the firm practices?
    It should have some kind of relevance to law firms. For instance, would their lawyers be interested in the story because it has some form of implications for either them or their clients? Will it change the way they do business or the advice they give to their clients?

I would stress this covers a broad spectrum of commercial stories though - whether it’s supply chain issues in supermarkets or large scale redundancies across tech companies will all be of interest on some level to law firms given the clients they work with.

Reactions: AvniD

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    Can firms e.g. Clifford Chance see the work that you submit for their virtual internships on Forage? I can't seem to figure out how to opt out from sharing any of the work I submitted to the employer.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Can firms e.g. Clifford Chance see the work that you submit for their virtual internships on Forage? I can't seem to figure out how to opt out from sharing any of the work I submitted to the employer.
    Even if they could access it, I highly doubt they'll use the work you submitted for a Forage internship to decide whether to progress/reject your vac scheme/TC application as that's unfair to you and your peers from an assessment stand point. I wouldn't worry too much about this if you're unable to figure out how you can opt out!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

lw2000

Distinguished Member
    Aug 19, 2021
    I don’t know if I’m reading too much into this but I just got an email after completing last stage of application process (written exercise) saying that my application is still under review but asking me to confirm my availability for the scheme, is this a good sign 🤨

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.