TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfoapplicant

Esteemed Member
Dec 7, 2020
Apologies for the duplicate post - I'm curious as to whether anyone has any tips as regards the following question@

@Jessica Booker

Hi guys,

The Akin Gump website contains the following words:

“Tell us in your own words what attracts you to Akin Gump and how our practices and client focus match your own commercial interests and career aspirations. (Don’t waste the application word count telling us facts we already know about our firm.)”

With that in mind, do you think it would be okay (or, for that matter, preferable) to link either of the following application questions to Akin Gump (i.e. through connecting bits of my answer to things about Akin Gump, like the small trainee intakes, its strength in restructuring, etc)?

• What motivates you to pursue a career as a commercial Solicitor? Explain how you would add value as a Trainee in the London office of Akin Gump
  • What are the most important rewards you expect in your career?
Thanks in advance!

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
I was hoping someone could advise regarding where to put mitigating circumstances on a form that does not directly ask for them. There are two possible sections, in my opinion. Which of these would be better? Thanks in advance.

1) Please use this space for additional information about your undergraduate degree.

2) If applicable please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
For Bird & Bird's question: What attracts you to a Trainee Solicitor role at Bird & Bird? What is motivating you to pursue a career at Bird & Bird?

As its only 200 words should I skip the why commercial law and focus on just why Bird & Bird?
I passed the application review stage, and I spoke about why commercial law in this, but weaved it into why Bird & Bird. I think I maybe had 2 sentences where I mentioned why commercial law, e.g. I spoke about the teamwork aspect of the career, and then linked to how Bird & Bird specifically matched this. Hope this is helpful :)

• 🏆
Reactions: ssolicitorz

annalaw

Standard Member
Feb 16, 2022
I think as long as your answer is still concise and well structured, you could go beyond 750 words if you wanted to.
This might be a silly question but how can you get it to be that long? What size font should you be using. I have a cover letter of about 400 words and it just about fits on a page with the addresses and things like that.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Does a 2 week vacation scheme count towards SQE qualifying experience?
No, it is the firm that needs to agree that your work can count towards the QWE. You cannot determine it, your supervisors have to sign and approve it. Their professional reputation is at stake so firms are very careful when it comes to QWE.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
No, it is the firm that needs to agree that your work can count towards the QWE. You cannot determine it, your supervisors have to sign and approve it. Their professional reputation is at stake so firms are very careful when it comes to QWE.
This is not quite true. The firm cannot determine this - only the SRA framework determines this. The power is no longer with the firm, it is with you and the work that you do.

If the work meets the SRA framework standards, you can get it signed off. If firms do not allow you to do this, they can be investigated by the SRA.

The firm can make it very difficult for you to get it signed off (I know some are even making people sign agreements that suggest you agree to never requesting your QWE being signed off). But if a firm was being really problematic about it and you wanted to get it signed off, you could get an external lawyer to do so and report the firm to the SRA!

Last edited:
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Uvaia and S87

Rina

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 14, 2021
    I applied on 10 November and am still waiting to hear back. I received an email last week asking for clarification of my grading system, but nothing since. Portal still says "application under consideration".
    Same here - assuming this for their direct TC, when did you guys apply? I was hoping to have heard back by now

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I haven't received an email from Slaughter but when I visit the website it now states application withdrawn... suppose that means PFO :( (or maybe accidentally withdrawn?? a little confused aha).
    Withdrawn typically means that its been requested by the candidate to withdraw the application. So I would contact them to see if it is an error.

Bubbles

Legendary Member
    Jan 19, 2022
    Hi, I applied to the Charles Russell speechlys vacation scheme and open day. Their email said they would be in contact about the open day by the end of this week, has anyone heard anything from them? (Kinda worried)

Rina

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Nov 14, 2021
    Hi, I applied to the Charles Russell speechlys vacation scheme and open day. Their email said they would be in contact about the open day by the end of this week, has anyone heard anything from them? (Kinda worried)
    I got the same email about the Open Day and haven't heard yet, I expect we'll hear by tomorrow evening?

Reactions: Bubbles
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.