TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would massively appreciate some advice. I have a video interview to complete for a firm, and my deadline is Friday. They are one of my favourite firms, and recruit on a rolling basis.
I have not had a voice for nearly a week now, and it does not feel like it is close to returning - I have also been super ill. I am unsure if I should ask for a deadline extension - due to recruitment being rolling, I would not want to miss out by deferring my video interview, but I also don't know what other choice I have. TIA.
I would email grad rec sooner rather than later explain the situation, in these circumstances they will hopefully understand.

In terms of rolling basis - Jess Brooker made some really valid points earlier in the thread "The standard the firm will expect will not change whether you apply on the first or the last day of applications - it is not like your chances lessen as the application window progresses. Therefore, if you think you were a good applicant in September, you are still a good applicant now and should apply." I think this also applies to video interviews.

If you feel like you won't be able to put your best foot forward, I personally would request an extension so that no matter the outcome I know that I did my best. Whereas if I was unsuccessful after doing the VI ill I would be gutted as I would be thinking if only I hadn't lost my voice I may have passed the VI.

Hope you feel better soon and good luck with VI when you come to completing it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I would massively appreciate some advice. I have a video interview to complete for a firm, and my deadline is Friday. They are one of my favourite firms, and recruit on a rolling basis.
I have not had a voice for nearly a week now, and it does not feel like it is close to returning - I have also been super ill. I am unsure if I should ask for a deadline extension - due to recruitment being rolling, I would not want to miss out by deferring my video interview, but I also don't know what other choice I have. TIA.
If you cant talk and you have been unwell, you need to ask whether your interview can be deferred. They may say no, and then the decision is made for you.

But if they say yes, it is much better for you to defer and do it when you are better. I wouldn't worry about it being rolling - your priority is doing this when you are well enough.

Narince

Distinguished Member
Nov 8, 2022
The status of my application on DLA Piper's portal has been updated ('withdraw' button still there) but it doesn't tell me the outcome. Should I wait until they contact me or just email them for the result, since I'd rather not wait just to be rejected but also don't want to come off as annoying? :)

*It was updated on the 17th of November
mine was updated yesterday and same with the withdraw button. could you lmk if you end up contacting them regards to what they say? Im also wondering if this means anything! :)

readylawyer1

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 16, 2021
Trying to answer a question on why a transactional focused firm, but I'm not sure what the specifics are between transactional and other areas, if anyone has any resources on this I would be very grateful!

traineedreamer

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Oct 23, 2019
Heard absolutely nothing back from NRF yet and I submitted quite a while ago - wondering if this is a bad sign ...
Not a bad sign, NRF is non-rolling and their applications only closed 10 days ago.
That being said, I was in a webinar with them a couple days after the deadline and they mentioned that the deadline just passed. They said they will be looking at applications over the coming weeks, so I don't think it's anything to worry about as of yet.

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    is it too late to be submitting applications for firms with rolling deadlines that are coming up quite soon? like reed smith (12th) and skadden (15th)? has anyone who has applied to them already received any communication yet? thanks!

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    On the work experience section of the Gowling application system, it says "Please list up to 3 pieces of work experience below that you consider to be most relevant in reverse chronological order, with the most recent first. " But I tried and I can add more than 3. Should I add more or stick to what they said?

Reactions: daisy_yawn

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    is it too late to be submitting applications for firms with rolling deadlines that are coming up quite soon? like reed smith (12th) and skadden (15th)? has anyone who has applied to them already received any communication yet? thanks!
    If it helps, I believe Reed Smith’s vac scheme is non-rolling - I think they said so on a recent Instagram post if you want to check!

ssolicitorz

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 3, 2021
    I applied for Stephenson Harwood's winter vacation scheme as my first choice but put down spring and summer as the other choices. As winter offers have already been given/its too late, does that mean I am automatically being considered for spring and summer?
    I haven't received a rejection for winter

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.