Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’m submitting CMS today. I honestly feel like it’s too late. CMS was one of the few firms that I felt like I had a shot at getting into, and I just feel like I’ve left it till too late. All the spaces have been filled up. I hate the fact that I had my dissertation appendix looming over my head, whereas everyone else got far ahead with their applications.
What programme is this for? And are you 100% sure they have filled all the spaces (e.g. has this been communicated to you by the firm)?

I’m submitting CMS today. I honestly feel like it’s too late. CMS was one of the few firms that I felt like I had a shot at getting into, and I just feel like I’ve left it till too late. All the spaces have been filled up. I hate the fact that I had my dissertation appendix looming over my head, whereas everyone else got far ahead with their applications.
Don't worry last year I submitted my CMS app on the day of the deadline and got a VI invite so don't count yourself out! Yes submitting closer to the deadline is a bit more of a gamble but most firms have certain pass mark in which candidates need to meet before processing with rolling basis you will never know how many candidates have met that pass mark until you apply!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @AK105 firms receive a large volume of applications (about half if I'm not wrong) on the day of their deadline so you're not alone! You'll just be competing against a larger number of people now so ensure that your application is free of errors and proofread it a couple times to ensure your answers are written well and then send it off. The best you can do is make sure you application is of a high standard and the rest you have to take on faith I guess. Wishing you the very best 🤞🤞🤞

RB2022

Valued Member
Sep 28, 2022
The status of my application on DLA Piper's portal has been updated ('withdraw' button still there) but it doesn't tell me the outcome. Should I wait until they contact me or just email them for the result, since I'd rather not wait just to be rejected but also don't want to come off as annoying? :)
* It w
I'd first check your spam inbox to see if any communication landed up there and if not, then politely email to ask if your application is still being considered as you saw an update on your portal on 17 November but didn't receive any communication afterwards.
Thank you! This is really helpful 😊

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Jan 13, 2021
I'd first check your spam inbox to see if any communication landed up there and if not, then politely email to ask if your application is still being considered as you saw an update on your portal on 17 November but didn't receive any communication afterwards.

Yep, good advice! I did this on Friday and haven’t heard back yet but will let anyone know if I get a response

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    What programme is this for? And are you 100% sure they have filled all the spaces (e.g. has this been communicated to you by the firm)?
    This is for CMS Academy ( their summer vacation scheme). The deadline is the 24th December. They have no minimum requirements, so I can apply with my BBC at A Level, 2.2 in first year, low 2.1 in second year and a mid to high 2.1 in third year. But now I’m gonna have to compete with people who have excellent grades. I swear it’s only those with excellent grades who manage to make it past the app stage when they apply close to rolling deadlines. With my academics I feel like I only had a shot if I had submitted it in September. Oh well onwards and upwards.

AK105

Esteemed Member
  • Mar 7, 2021
    Don't worry last year I submitted my CMS app on the day of the deadline and got a VI invite so don't count yourself out! Yes submitting closer to the deadline is a bit more of a gamble but most firms have certain pass mark in which candidates need to meet before processing with rolling basis you will never know how many candidates have met that pass mark until you apply!
    You probably had the grades though tbf. I don’t have the grades, so this is such a gamble. All my hard work in this application went down the drain. I still have some corrections left loll.

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    This is for CMS Academy ( their summer vacation scheme). The deadline is the 24th December. They have no minimum requirements, so I can apply with my BBC at A Level, 2.2 in first year, low 2.1 in second year and a mid to high 2.1 in third year. But now I’m gonna have to compete with people who have excellent grades. I swear it’s only those with excellent grades who manage to make it past the app stage when they apply close to rolling deadlines. With my academics I feel like I only had a shot if I had submitted it in September. Oh well onwards and upwards.
    If they have no minimum requirements, it likely means that they hold other aspects of the application in higher regard than grades. You are still a fair way from the deadline and should be in a good position to get past the app stage if you write a good app. I really feel like you are self-rejecting before you even give yourself a chance. If this is a scheme you really want to go on, at least give yourself an opportunity to have your application read. Worst case scenario is that you get rejected and have had a bit more practice writing applications.

Adrian_S

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Jan 13, 2021
    If they have no minimum requirements, it likely means that they hold other aspects of the application in higher regard than grades. You are still a fair way from the deadline and should be in a good position to get past the app stage if you write a good app. I really feel like you are self-rejecting before you even give yourself a chance. If this is a scheme you really want to go on, at least give yourself an opportunity to have your application read. Worst case scenario is that you get rejected and have had a bit more practice writing applications.

can i just take a second to appreciate the excellent advice that you’ve been giving people on the forum??? you’re just 🔥

• 🤝
    • 🏆
    Reactions: Dib31 and j.s.cox

jessicamcnamara

Esteemed Member
    Jan 17, 2022
    Congrats! I would prepare to cover:

• Why law?
    • Why Mishcon?
    • Examples of any Mishcon's expected competencies.
    • An explanation of a news story, why it interests you, and why it is applicable to Mishcon.
    I wouldn't over-rehearse these, but maybe come up with bullet points for each question that you feel you could easily expand on. Make sure you know how much time you'll have to read and answer the questions, and perhaps see if you can find previous experiences. For one of the VIs I did, I read that they had previously asked some people "how would your friends describe you?". I would have been stumped by this if I hadn't thought about this beforehand (although I realise this is a weird question to be asked and probably won't come up in your VI).

I have never done a Mishcon VI, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I have been successful in almost all of the VIs I have done and this is the approach that I took. Hopefully it is helpful for you!
    Thank you for this, I really appreciate it🙏

• 🤝
    Reactions: j.s.cox

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Unless you have been told directly by the firm that the spaces are filled, I think this is a dangerous assumption to make. Unless the firm has said something directly to you, I don't think what you said above reflects what is happening with this firm.

The standard the firm will expect will not change whether you apply on the first or the last day of applications - it is not like your chances lessen as the application window progresses. Therefore, if you think you were a good applicant in September, you are still a good applicant now and should apply.

Most applicants will apply in the last few days of the application window. Even if you applied in the next couple of weeks, you'll probably be ahead of over 50% of applicants who will apply in the last 2 weeks of the window, so I really wouldn't feel like you have missed out.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    GIF by Kim's Convenience

Reactions: rose888

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    For the Mishcon application, what kind of thing have people put in the activities and achievements section? I have more work experiences (EG - part time jobs) that I couldn't fit in the actual work experience section, so could I use these? What about open days or virtual internships?

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    I would massively appreciate some advice. I have a video interview to complete for a firm, and my deadline is Friday. They are one of my favourite firms, and recruit on a rolling basis.
    I have not had a voice for nearly a week now, and it does not feel like it is close to returning - I have also been super ill. I am unsure if I should ask for a deadline extension - due to recruitment being rolling, I would not want to miss out by deferring my video interview, but I also don't know what other choice I have. TIA.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.