TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawstudent1

Oct 19, 2022
Any advice for Stephenson Harwood's case study?
Drink a big coffee before, it is long-winded...

But in all seriousness, just be familiar with how a deal works, the kind of risks involved (legal and commercial), and the best way to present that to a client/partner. (the case study situation isn't the same for everyone).

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I was hoping someone could advise regarding where to put mitigating circumstances on a form that does not directly ask for them. There are two possible sections, in my opinion. Which of these would be better? Thanks in advance.

1) Please use this space for additional information about your undergraduate degree.

2) If applicable please state any additional information which you think is relevant to your application or which you think has not been covered adequately in this form.
I'm unsure if this has been answered yet but I would put any mitigating circumstances in the second box, unless they relate directly to your undergrad degree grades (rather than any other degree).

• 🤝
Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

WN20

Star Member
Nov 30, 2021
Drink a big coffee before, it is long-winded...

But in all seriousness, just be familiar with how a deal works, the kind of risks involved (legal and commercial), and the best way to present that to a client/partner. (the case study situation isn't the same for everyone).
same as above, i went through 3 coffees doing mine. was intense. huge emphasis on time control
Brilliant - thanks so much! Will deffo have some coffee ready then haha. Have you heard back post-case study?

N_16

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 11, 2022
Any advice on approaching the question 'What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession?' - Are they looking for a commercial answer or things like hybrid working, technology etc? Sorry if this is an obvious question but just wanted to make sure I wasn't approaching it from the wrong perspective!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Any advice on approaching the question 'What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession?' - Are they looking for a commercial answer or things like hybrid working, technology etc? Sorry if this is an obvious question but just wanted to make sure I wasn't approaching it from the wrong perspective!
Please see my recent post below- I think this will help you as well!
I think a good place to start is a simple google search on 'current issues facing the legal profession' and start from there- it'll definitely throw up stuff you've already mentioned like AI and inflation but maybe there's other things too like dealing with burnout or making hybrid working successful for clients and junior lawyers. The goal here is to ensure that you're able to 1) identify a 'current' issue 2) elaborate on the impact it may have on the legal profession (good and bad) 3) discuss how lawyers may prepare for this. I hope this helps!

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
Does anyone else have problems submitting applications through Vantage? For some reason, it won't let me save changes to my profile, so it automatically inputs the wrong information in my applications, which I then have to change manually each time. The portal in general is also really buggy. I wish firm's stuck to standard application portals.

Saumya

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 29, 2022
did mine yesterday, it was pretty straightforward questions and answers!
Hi, thanks for sharing! Do you maybe remember how many questions in total were asked? And if it leaned more towards motivational or competency style interview. Also, was wondering if you have any advice for what kind of commercial questions I can expect or how would you suggest going about preparing for it.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Does anyone else have problems submitting applications through Vantage? For some reason, it won't let me save changes to my profile, so it automatically inputs the wrong information in my applications, which I then have to change manually each time. The portal in general is also really buggy. I wish firm's stuck to standard application portals.
I used to have problems with Vantage too! If I remember correctly, I think I emailed them (found their email in FAQs or their T&Cs on their website) to ask if they could help with the issues I was facing. Maybe you could do that too?

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
I used to have problems with Vantage too! If I remember correctly, I think I emailed them (found their email in FAQs or their T&Cs on their website to ask if they could help with the issues I was facing. Maybe you could do that too?
Thanks Avni, will do!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

WAL007

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jun 19, 2022
Hi guys - does anyone have experience in interviews where scenario based questions are asked? How do you prepare for these - do you make pre-made answers, etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.