Status
Not open for further replies.

B A

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 4, 2020
I don't know about you guys but I honestly feel so lost and demotivated. :/ don't know where I am heading. I have few more applications to draft this cycle but duno where to start and on the edge of giving up :(
Sorry to hear that. I've been there, so feel free to dm me if you want to talk about it!

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

N_16

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 11, 2022
Have you heard back yet? I did the tests for Mayer Brown today. Yes, the SJT is not timed, but all sections of the verbal reasoning test is. I took a couple of mins between each session before you click start module :)
I did the tests on Thursday last week, got the results on Saturday! The results are in the format of a report - for the SJT it tells you your top three strengths and for the VRT it tells you whether you got below average, average or above average on each section. I haven't heard back from the firm about whether I got through to the interview stage yet though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi, Taylor Wessing receives applications until 1st December. Just to confirm, does it mean I can still submit my application on 1st December?
Yes - a deadline will always include the day of the deadline. When that deadline is though could be 5pm as some firms may turn off applications at the end of the working day.

Harrison.jm

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 25, 2022
Anyone heard anything back from Baker McKenzie? Deafening silence
They review applications on a rolling basis, but their actual interview schedule is not rolling. The same applies to many other firms. I feel the word rolling is confusing as it suggests a similar structure to that of banks. Yet, for many law firms, "rolling" means actively reviewing applications, deciding which ones to bin or keep, yet waiting until the deadline has passed to make final decisions. The only caveat is that as time progresses, the standard to pass the screening phase increases, thus why they suggest an early application.

Reactions: aniraz

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
White & Case PFO this morning - was expecting it since I know some others got their application outcome almost 2 weeks ago (although some other people hadn't heard last week afaik).

Will hopefully get some feedback from them but I mainly want to know why it took them so long to give a decision? The vacation scheme literally starts in 7 days... just curious if anyone has ever had a successful vacation scheme application and found out so late?
Hi @Wazflame, I've heard of several instances when people have found out that their application was rejected a week or so before the scheme and maybe a couple instances where their application was accepted in the same timeframe (it's rare) and I've always rationalised it as the firms possibly opening up their reserve list to pick applications from because they weren't able to fill their scheme. Though I'm not a 100% sure about this!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I went to an international school overseas which didn't conduct any secondary school or equivalent exams (GCSE, etc.) - so I just don't have any age 14-16 exam grades to use for application forms. Can I just put that in the "additional information" section under education? Might it prejudice my application?
This should be fine- ensure you explain this as accurately as possible so there is no discrepancy between your school transcripts and the text box in which you include this additional information.

Had a Stephenson Harwood interview yesterday - has anyone been invited to the Round 2 case study yet? If so, how long after your first interview? Thanks!
Hi I wouldn't read into timings with SH because last year came back to me within the hour, this cycle the wait times have been a lot longer, I think it just depends of the time of year. They're probably really busy with winter, spring and summer placements, plus trainees will be approaching their mid-seat reviews soon. So try to put it at the back of your mind (easier said than done!)

Reactions: Phoebe123451

Narince

Distinguished Member
Nov 8, 2022
Does anyone have advice for the EY Job Simulator? I haven't done any VIs before so I'm nervous about the video answers and just generally don't know what to expect.
completed mine a couple weeks ago. It is pretty straightforward just know their values and practice areas/sectors well! there are also some questions about how the role might involve travelling/how you would deal with that! The rest of the test is pretty straightforward with SJTs and some emails to draft. Hope this is helpful

• 🤝
Reactions: lawstudent22 and AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I would also like to hear anyone's tips on the application question about a news story.. do you have to link your answer back to the firm? how would one structure their answer; a brief background detailing the story and explaining why the news story interests you - would that suffice?
You absolutely don't have to link it back to the firm, and in fact doing so may come off as forced or unnatural.

I think the structure you've mentioned works well- start with discussing the background (who the parties are, which industry and country/countries the story concerns etc.) ➡️ go into analysing the main commercial and legal issues ➡️ pinpoint the role of lawyers and law firms in mitigating the impact of the issues or exploring opportunities that may arise in the future.

I hope this helps!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
hi guys, for gibson dunn's q:

an outstanding personal achievement which added value to either your academic or working environment

What does 'added value' entail?

@Jessica Booker
Hi @turtlebrownrice, the way I interpret this is how has something that you achieved outside of your academics/professional environment that made you better at your studies/job. So for example, if you paint as a hobby, maybe that's help you develop your creativity and perspective and helped you discover new ways of solving problems in your studies or at your job. Does this make sense?

Reactions: Jessica Booker

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi everyone

Does anyone know how to tackle this question for the Allen & Overy vacation scheme application, 'Why do you want to become a commercial lawyer at A&O and what do you think are the key skills and qualities required for success?'.

Not sure if this is a why commercial law question or why A&O especially because the word count is only 250.

Thanks!

@Jessica Booker
Hi @tatianakalaji, I'd dedicate half the word count to what your motivations for working at A&O are and the other half to discuss the competencies you think are required to succeed in commercial law. Maybe having a couple, well-developed points for both would be a good way to fill out your answer. Does this make sense? Or do you have another approach in mind?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi! Reed Smith's app form has this question: What current issues do you think have an impact on the legal profession? How will they impact and why?

Does anyone have any ideas what sort of things we are supposed to mention here? Something like AI, or macro commercial issues like inflation?
I think a good place to start is a simple google search on 'current issues facing the legal profession' and start from there- it'll definitely throw up stuff you've already mentioned like AI and inflation but maybe there's other things too like dealing with burnout or making hybrid working successful for clients and junior lawyers. The goal here is to ensure that you're able to 1) identify a 'current' issue 2) elaborate on the impact it may have on the legal profession (good and bad) 3) discuss how lawyers may prepare for this. I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.