Training Contract Applications

Shane O'Hanlon

Star Member
Feb 8, 2019
Hi guys quick question. So white and case TC applications close in a couple of days. I'm just wondering whether I should apply for the TC or wait and apply for the vac scheme as they recruit primarily from the scheme. I'm just wondering if I'm unsuccessful directly applying for the TC whether that will impact my chances when applying for the vac schemes, as you are usually expected to have improved your application after a rejection and applications are quite close to each other.

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi guys quick question. So white and case TC applications close in a couple of days. I'm just wondering whether I should apply for the TC or wait and apply for the vac scheme as they recruit primarily from the scheme. I'm just wondering if I'm unsuccessful directly applying for the TC whether that will impact my chances when applying for the vac schemes, as you are usually expected to have improved your application after a rejection and applications are quite close to each other.

Ultimately it’s totally up to you and don’t believe you’ll be massively disadvantaged in making an app now if you have the time to. But I know they do recruit largely from schemes and I just have a personal feeling against last minute apps as I don’t think they present you in the best light and allow time for the required research. If you have time there’s no harm in making an app but I agree it would need to be at least slightly different to the one you’d apply with next year.

To be entirely honest with you if I was in your shoes, at this stage, I’d apply next cycle for a vac scheme. Their open day is very competitive so I would think it’s worth putting the time and effort into making an app for that and then one of their schemes next year.

It’s really a personal thing though and if you feel confident in completing a strong app at this stage then go with your gut and give it a shot.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Amy1

Jan 30, 2019
Hi Amy,

I completed the W&C VI in January this year for the spring vac and on the top of my head, I was asked three questions and they were:

1. Why have you applied to White & Case?;
2. A question which related to White & Case 2020 strategy (I do not remember the exact words); and
3. What key skills do you possess which will ensure you will be a successful solicitor at white and case (providing examples).

The questions might change for your training contract video interview but I hope the above helps as a starting point.

Salma
Thank you so much. I didn't see this before my VI but they didn't ask me any of these questions. Please do you have any experience with their telephone interview?

Amy1

Jan 30, 2019
Hello, I've just been invited for a telephone interview with White & Case. It's for a training contract. Please does anyone have experience with this/can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Eamon

maccies

Standard Member
Apr 5, 2018
Hi Amy,

I have the W&C telephone interview coming up and I was wondering if you would be able to offer any insights? Thank you!
Hello, I've just been invited for a telephone interview with White & Case. It's for a training contract. Please does anyone have experience with this/can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

Eamon

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
Hi Amy,

I have the W&C telephone interview coming up and I was wondering if you would be able to offer any insights? Thank you!

So it wasn't a conversation; the grad recruitment person had a list of questions and she literally just went through them. They were really generic questions, so prepare lots of answers on those basic questions and let your skills and understanding shine

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.