Training Contract Applications

Discussion in 'Vacation Schemes and Training Contracts 2018-19' started by Salma, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Shane O'Hanlon

Shane O'Hanlon Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi guys quick question. So white and case TC applications close in a couple of days. I'm just wondering whether I should apply for the TC or wait and apply for the vac scheme as they recruit primarily from the scheme. I'm just wondering if I'm unsuccessful directly applying for the TC whether that will impact my chances when applying for the vac schemes, as you are usually expected to have improved your application after a rejection and applications are quite close to each other.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Alice G

Alice G Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    Ultimately it’s totally up to you and don’t believe you’ll be massively disadvantaged in making an app now if you have the time to. But I know they do recruit largely from schemes and I just have a personal feeling against last minute apps as I don’t think they present you in the best light and allow time for the required research. If you have time there’s no harm in making an app but I agree it would need to be at least slightly different to the one you’d apply with next year.

To be entirely honest with you if I was in your shoes, at this stage, I’d apply next cycle for a vac scheme. Their open day is very competitive so I would think it’s worth putting the time and effort into making an app for that and then one of their schemes next year.

It’s really a personal thing though and if you feel confident in completing a strong app at this stage then go with your gut and give it a shot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Amy1

Amy1 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thank you so much. I didn't see this before my VI but they didn't ask me any of these questions. Please do you have any experience with their telephone interview?

4. Amy1

Amy1 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hello, I've just been invited for a telephone interview with White & Case. It's for a training contract. Please does anyone have experience with this/can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Eamon

Eamon Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    I'm going to do my VI tomorrow, any chance you could tell me the questions to prepare for?

6. Eamon

Eamon Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    I can ask my friend who did it last year if you want?

7. Amy1

Amy1 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Yes please, that would be really helpful!

8. Amy1

Amy1 Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    There were three questions in total, but I can only quite vaguely remember two:
    Why do you want to be a trainee at W&C
    Something along the lines of a challenge I'll face as a trainee

9. maccies

maccies Standard Member
    Vacation Schemer

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Amy,

I have the W&C telephone interview coming up and I was wondering if you would be able to offer any insights? Thank you!

10. Eamon

Eamon Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    So it wasn't a conversation; the grad recruitment person had a list of questions and she literally just went through them. They were really generic questions, so prepare lots of answers on those basic questions and let your skills and understanding shine

11. Mel

Mel New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Anyone waiting to hear back from HFW post final interview?