TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

HLL

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 26, 2021
In the context of telephone interview and interviews overall, does anyone have tips on how to come off well prepared (with good research into the firm etc) yet still show ability to think on the spot? Is it appropriate to take 3-5 seconds to think before taking each question? Or generally any tips on keeping the flow natural?

Reflecting on my ti experience with nrf, Im not entirely sure which part I fell down but GR said in an answer to my question that they look for someone who can think on the spot. Think I might have relied on my preparation too much (jumped at each question immediately as I found out I did some prep) and didn't really satisfy this

Reactions: prettymuchit
D

daisy_yawn

In the context of telephone interview and interviews overall, does anyone have tips on how to come off well prepared (with good research into the firm etc) yet still show ability to think on the spot? Is it appropriate to take 3-5 seconds to think before taking each question? Or generally any tips on keeping the flow natural?

Reflecting on my ti experience with nrf, Im not entirely sure which part I fell down but GR said in an answer to my question that they look for someone who can think on the spot. Think I might have relied on my preparation too much (jumped at each question immediately as I found out I did some prep) and didn't really satisfy this

I think it really depends on the question- sometimes I take 2-4secs to think, some I answer immediately but yeah maybe try not to sound too rehearsed!

• 🤝
Reactions: HLL

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Taking a brief pause is very normal. You think 3 seconds is a long time but it is no time at all really and your interviewer won't really have noticed it was a pause. You can often buy yourself some additional few seconds by saying something like - "can i just have a moment to think about that".

• 🏆
Reactions: AvniD and HLL

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am actually beyond stupid , I had a call yday from Davis polk but somehow missed that ontop of the voicemail. I hope I didn’t lose my place
I very much doubt this - firms do not expect you to be immediately contactable, just give them a call back at the earliest opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.