TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arch1234

Jan 5, 2023
Hi guys, could anyone help me with this scenario?

1. Did a VS at Firm X, a TC Interview is in 2 weeks.
2. Got an offer for a VS at Firm Y. The deadline to confirm the offer is in 1 week.
3. You care a lot about Firm X but want to have a backup option

Can you accept offer Y, assuming you’d get a TC in 2 weeks? Is it perhaps forbidden per TCs to work for any other law firm? But what if you accept Y before you know you’re successful with X?

I apologise for the confusion 😂
I'm sure Jessica did a post somewhere in the thread about
something similar. You might be able to search for it!

Reactions: starman

lawpersongirl123

Star Member
Premium Member
Sep 13, 2021
Linklaters AC tomorrow. It’s my first in-person AC ever so I’m really nervous. I also heard from someone who did it last year that they left their AC in tears, which is reassuring 😂. Does anyone have advice for managing nerves or completing Links’ AC in general? Thanks 😭
I did it last year for the winter, didn’t get through but honestly that was just because i was overthinking too much in the case study! I had such a concrete plan of how to go about a case study from TCLA resources, that I didn’t just take it at face value. If i did, I was told I would’ve gotten through. So my advise would be, when they tell you you don’t need to prepare for the case study, it’s semi true- just don’t over-prepare and assume questions if that makes sense. The competency interview is really chill, HR does it and they want you to do well! Something that will help nerves, is that it’s not a competition. If everyone meets the benchmark, everyone will go through. So don’t psych yourself out!! The benchmark also isn’t ridiculously high, if you’re in the AC assume they’ve chosen you and you just need to not make a major error. If the partner interview is still 2 partners, remember that they’re only human and just want you to succeed to. The written exercise is based on the case study and is pretty straightforward. I didn’t actually finish in time, yet they told me I passed the written exercise in my feedback call. They’re just looking for a good structure. Trust me- you’ll do amazing. It was my first AC and either way a really helpful and positive experience even though I didn’t get through. Best of luck!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys, could anyone help me with this scenario?

1. Did a VS at Firm X, a TC Interview is in 2 weeks.
2. Got an offer for a VS at Firm Y. The deadline to confirm the offer is in 1 week.
3. You care a lot about Firm X but want to have a backup option

Can you accept offer Y, assuming you’d get a TC in 2 weeks? Is it perhaps forbidden per TCs to work for any other law firm? But what if you accept Y before you know you’re successful with X?

I apologise for the confusion 😂
You can accept the VS as you haven't got a TC yet.

It would only be if you had accepted the TC that you should withdraw from the interview process for this and any other roles.

This happens all the time in recruitment and especially with vacation schemes. It is why so many firms run "hold" systems for other candidates, as there is always a good chance of come candidates reneging on their acceptance where they have either secure a TC or a better SVS offer.

• ℹ️
Reactions: starman

Arch1234

Jan 5, 2023
Has anyone heard back from Mishcon post VI? I did my VI beginning of December and idk if it’s a PFO or not
They said in the email to me we wouldn't hear until January - the closing date for applications was Jan 6th so they might be similar to Baker Mckenzie, who only review all VIs after they review all applications.
Also just bear in mind how many applications they have to get through - I wouldn't panic yet. They say all short-listed applicants will get a response, and by doing the VI you would surely be classed as a short-listed candidate.

kab

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Feb 15, 2020
I've done an NRF AC if anyone wants advice as I saw a few people had invite s come in, just msg! still looking for tips on Latham's VI :)
Hi, I did Latham’s VI last year (2021/22) and made it to AC. It was a mix of competency and commercial questions (note that this might have changed this year). Here are some general tips that helped me:

• Understand the firm, how it operates, who its clients are, how it supports its clients’ objectives. I also went a step further and considered why their clients are successful
  • Keep an eye on commercial trends that would affect Latham’s clients. Take a holistic approach to this i.e. consider the bigger picture.
  • Prepare your motivational and competency questions. Practise selling yourself and your skills (keep in mind the skills Latham values)
I also found that TCLA had some good insights on the Latham VI and VIs in general. Hope this helps and good luck!

Last edited:

RB2022

Valued Member
Sep 28, 2022
I did it last year for the winter, didn’t get through but honestly that was just because i was overthinking too much in the case study! I had such a concrete plan of how to go about a case study from TCLA resources, that I didn’t just take it at face value. If i did, I was told I would’ve gotten through. So my advise would be, when they tell you you don’t need to prepare for the case study, it’s semi true- just don’t over-prepare and assume questions if that makes sense. The competency interview is really chill, HR does it and they want you to do well! Something that will help nerves, is that it’s not a competition. If everyone meets the benchmark, everyone will go through. So don’t psych yourself out!! The benchmark also isn’t ridiculously high, if you’re in the AC assume they’ve chosen you and you just need to not make a major error. If the partner interview is still 2 partners, remember that they’re only human and just want you to succeed to. The written exercise is based on the case study and is pretty straightforward. I didn’t actually finish in time, yet they told me I passed the written exercise in my feedback call. They’re just looking for a good structure. Trust me- you’ll do amazing. It was my first AC and either way a really helpful and positive experience even though I didn’t get through. Best of luck!!
Thank you so much for your advice!! This is super helpful and I definitely feel a little less nervous about going in tomorrow. I’m also worried about the case study as it sounds like you need to have a very high level of commercial awareness to succeed, but I think I’ll be able to do ok as long as I don’t overthink it (as you said!) 😊

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    hey everyone, I applied to latham mid-november and still haven't heard back. should I assume a PFO? or could they just be sending them out in batches
    My guess is that they are working on Spring rn (sending it out in batches).. That’s how they’ve done it over the last few years! With the extended deadline it can be a while until we hear back.
    I applied for summer and I am waiting too! Hopefully it’s good news for all of us :)

Momo

Esteemed Member
    Nov 21, 2022
    Hello, I am applying for the White & Case VS and I am not sure whether to answer yes or no to this question: "Do you require permission to work in the UK?". I am currently pursuing my LLM here in the UK and will be converting my student visa to a postgraduate visa for 2 years starting this July 2023.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.