Status
Not open for further replies.

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Hi - if anyone has applied for Vinson & Elkins or is applying, please could I have some advice?

You need to address the Cover Letter to their Training Principal - is it still Andrew Nealon? All the information I can find with his name in is from a while back - I want to make sure I put the right person or else I'll be off to a bad start haha.
    Andrew Nealon is the Training Principal. You can find the info (and more helpful tips) in their training brochure.

desperateTCseeker1998

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2023
    NRF AC invite! I have never been to an assessment centre before so I would greatly appreciate any info/guidance!

Hi- Congratulations! I was just wondering if you have been given a date for your AC? My interview scheduler doesn't seem to be working so just wondering how you navigated it/found out the date?
    Same here, would love to hear any advice people have

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Same here, would love to hear any advice people have
    NRF AC

Case Study
    • This is a really simple exercise. You get given a powerpoint with information on lots of different slides, 30 minutes to prepare a presentation, then a certain period to discuss with an associate. It is often asking what the best option is out of a series of choices.
    • The information is going to be all over the place. You need to quickly organise it in a way that makes sense to you, decide the best option, then practice a verbal presentation. Structure, analytical ability, and summary are really key here.
    • It's not a hard exercise, but it is time pressured. Make sure you have finished your prep well in time.
    • The associates are really nice and will only ask questions to understand anything you haven't explained clearly. I got asked 2 questions and spent the rest of the time talking to the associate about the firm and their experiences.
    Partner Interview
    • This can be very daunting. There is often a good cop and a bad cop, don't let this scare you.
    • Make sure you understand absolutely everything you have written down on your application. E.g. if you wrote about drafting LIBOR transition rate amendment agreements, understand everything about what you did and why, and understand the greater context.
    • If you weren't asked the question about where they should open an office and why, prepare this question!!
    • You are likely going to be given a lot of ethical and situational judgement questions. Make sure you are prepared for this. They aren't looking for a correct answer, they are looking for a thought process, so guide them through your thought process.
    • Stay calm! I can't emphasise this one enough. They want someone who is calm in the face of challenges. This is a really hard one to train yourself to do.
    • Find out as much as you can about the partners. The more you can get them to talk, the better. Have lots of questions up your sleeve and ask them questions as you go along (e.g. they have given you a difficult situational judgement question, and you have answered to the best of your ability, now you should ask them what they would do in the same situation).
    Group Exercise
    • You need to show that you can work really well in the group you are given. They are really looking at your teamwork skills here.
    • This is often in the style of a negotiation. Make sure you understand which of you are covering which points and be flexible.
    • You need to really analyse what is being asked of you and who you are representing.
    • Much of what is assessed is during the preparation period. They will also ask you to send a copy of your private chat with your team mate and this can demonstrate the effort you put in whilst you weren't talking.
    • Keep a note of time and remind people (including your own team mate/s) if you are running over time.
    Other Advice
    • The Early Careers team are your friends and make final decisions. Get on their good side. Even smiling helps.
    • Ensure that throughout the assessment centre, you are giving an outward demeanour of being happy to be there and excited for a future at NRF.
    • You are being tested on the same competencies as at TI stage:
      • Commercial awareness
      • Interpersonal Skills
      • Teamwork
      • Intellectual Curiosity
      • Intellectual and analytic ability
    • Try and weave these competencies throughout the AC without forcing them. The teamwork element will primarily be tested during the group exercise, the others should easily come up in all three assessments.
    Preparation
    TCLA has some good preparation courses and I would go over as many situational judgement questions as you can beforehand. Otherwise, try to relax as much as possible and enjoy the process.

Good luck!

starman

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 21, 2021
    Hi guys, could anyone help me with this scenario?

1. Did a VS at Firm X, a TC Interview is in 2 weeks.
    2. Got an offer for a VS at Firm Y. The deadline to confirm the offer is in 1 week.
    3. You care a lot about Firm X but want to have a backup option

Can you accept offer Y, assuming you’d get a TC in 2 weeks? Is it perhaps forbidden per TCs to work for any other law firm? But what if you accept Y before you know you’re successful with X?

I apologise for the confusion 😂

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    Hi guys, could anyone help me with this scenario?

1. Did a VS at Firm X, a TC Interview is in 2 weeks.
    2. Got an offer for a VS at Firm Y. The deadline to confirm the offer is in 1 week.
    3. You care a lot about Firm X but want to have a backup option

Can you accept offer Y, assuming you’d get a TC in 2 weeks? Is it perhaps forbidden per TCs to work for any other law firm? But what if you accept Y before you know you’re successful with X?

I apologise for the confusion 😂
    I would accept it. You don't have the TC yet so I don't see why Firm X or Y would see it as a problem. Any other thoughts @Jessica Booker ?

Reactions: starman

Arch1234

Jan 5, 2023
    Hey,

What structure would you recommend using?

Thanks!
    Hi, sorry I missed this!
    I wouldn't like to make a recommendation as I'm by no means an expert.
    I just did bullet points outlining my answer. I prepared some answers to typical questions beforehand that could be adapted to fit another question, which helped with 2/3 of the questions I got asked.
    I think keep the bullet points quite brief, use them as talking points or to trigger your memory - you don't want to be reading off a screen.
    Take this with a pinch of salt, this is just what helped me and everyone is different!
    Hope it goes well for you!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.