TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
This is just a guess but it might be because the company have capital from investors which it could use to buy assets like property, inventory and vehicles. These items are classed as equity on the balance sheet, which is why it looks like it has a high net value but it does not mean the company is necessarily turning over a profit from the business itself.
This money could either originate from seed capital or angel investors or private equity investors (usually institutional).

D

Deleted member 24543

This money could either originate from seed capital or angel investors or private equity investors (usually institutional).
That's what I was thinking as well! My train of thought is that they might've gotten these investments from CVCs or angel investors, and not having revenue means they probably have not started selling products as yet --> also implies they probably have not incurred much operating expenses. So no revenue but a high net value is possible. Not sure if this train of thought makes sense though?

Reactions: futuretrainee202X

Civ457

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2022
Hi, I applied to mishcon de reya last week, however, have just noticed in my email inbox that I have received two email confirmations from CVmailUK confirming receipt of my application, 20 minutes apart. Should I email cvmailuk to check the error or mishcon? feeling nervous that I have only recognised this 10 days late and don't know what to do? any advice would be appreciated

lawstudent9

Star Member
  • Apr 16, 2022
    Absolutely bombed my Latham Summer VI. Rambled incoherently on one question (only managed to summarise what I was actually trying to say in the last 10 seconds) and didn't really address the nuances of another, flubbed my last point on a question that was very easily prepared for. RIP
    im so sorry to hear this :(
    would you mind sharing what types of questions you were asked? thank you x

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Absolutely bombed my Latham Summer VI. Rambled incoherently on one question (only managed to summarise what I was actually trying to say in the last 10 seconds) and didn't really address the nuances of another, flubbed my last point on a question that was very easily prepared for. RIP
    I'm sorry to hear this. Although, it does feel like literally everyone struggles with video interviews, and some people have to get through! You never know until you get a response :)

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    That's what I was thinking as well! My train of thought is that they might've gotten these investments from CVCs or angel investors, and not having revenue means they probably have not started selling products as yet --> also implies they probably have not incurred much operating expenses. So no revenue but a high net value is possible. Not sure if this train of thought makes sense though?
    I think you've hit the nail on the head!

sibs23

Legendary Member
    Jan 15, 2021
    Advice pls! I've made a very last min application and feeling tired. I've made an embarrassing mistake by accidentally applying for an Insight Scheme (which I'm not eligible for) instead of Vacation Scheme for Osborne Clarke. My application is submitted and I've been automatically assigned the test. Would it be ok I emailed Grad Rec first thing to correct this? Not sure what else I could do.

Elsa3.1415

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 14, 2021
    Advice pls! I've made a very last min application and feeling tired. I've made an embarrassing mistake by accidentally applying for an Insight Scheme (which I'm not eligible for) instead of Vacation Scheme for Osborne Clarke. My application is submitted and I've been automatically assigned the test. Would it be ok I emailed Grad Rec first thing to correct this? Not sure what else I could do.
    Something similar happened to me with CC between the regular TC and their Legal Tech TC. I emailed grad rec right away, saying I submitted the wrong draft, but obviously the deadline had passed so they could not simply allow me to withdraw my application and apply again for the right vacancy. They answered saying that I should pass the WG first and that if successful they would then speak to the relevant team to see if my application could be transferred.

I passed it and emailed again, then they did not get back to me before rejecting my application a week and a half after. I emailed asking for which route it had been assessed, and they told me it was for the one I technically applied for, not the one I was actually going for. I asked if they could give me an answer from the perspective of the other route, and they replied extremely quickly with a second rejection, without addressing my situation but this time with saying, in a generic message, that I produced a solid app and should reapply next year.

The response was so fast that I have doubts on whether they actually went through my application again at all or not, it was quite late already in the recruitment process... Looking back, I should have called to check in much sooner and insisted more.

Obviously, no idea whether OC would have a similar approach, but hopefully, it goes better for you!

• 🤝
    Reactions: average_jo123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I applied to mishcon de reya last week, however, have just noticed in my email inbox that I have received two email confirmations from CVmailUK confirming receipt of my application, 20 minutes apart. Should I email cvmailuk to check the error or mishcon? feeling nervous that I have only recognised this 10 days late and don't know what to do? any advice would be appreciated
    I wouldn't worry about it - I suspect this is just a messaging error.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    I have a deadline of midday today for a test, and I've requested reasonable adjustments. I only requested them yesterday, when I went to sit the test - usually the format of tests are ok for me, but the practice question here was particularly blurry for me. The firm came back and told me that they would ask the test provider to send me a different test, but it sounded like the deadline could not be extended. If they do not get back to me soon, should I just attempt the the test in its current format? @Jessica Booker any advice here would be appreciated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.