TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
How did you research and/or network with firms if you submitted an app a day?
I did quite a few open days in first and start of second year and wrote notes on everything I did. I think there is an argument that I should have researched firms more but I disagree. I sort of decided that I was going to try and send 20-35 this cycle and I do believe it is a bit of a numbers game. Also by applying to that many firms I have sentences for why I like PE, M&A, TMT etc etc so I can chop and change from app to app whilst still tailoring. Most firms are substantively the same in my eyes with diff intakes, key practice areas, culture and nature of the training being some things that differ. I think you can tailor pretty well with just a couple hours research/reading some successful apps for that firm - especially when youve already applied to 10+ firms. Also I usually work for like 10-14 hours a day so its 5-7 hours an app

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
I did quite a few open days in first and start of second year and wrote notes on everything I did. I think there is an argument that I should have researched firms more but I disagree. I sort of decided that I was going to try and send 20-35 this cycle and I do believe it is a bit of a numbers game. Also by applying to that many firms I have sentences for why I like PE, M&A, TMT etc etc so I can chop and change from app to app whilst still tailoring. Most firms are substantively the same in my eyes with diff intakes, key practice areas, culture and nature of the training being some things that differ. I think you can tailor pretty well with just a couple hours research/reading some successful apps for that firm - especially when youve already applied to 10+ firms. Also I usually work for like 10-14 hours a day so its 5-7 hours an app
That dedication is super impressive! Whenever the only work I complete in a day is application-related, I always end up dreaming about them!!

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
That makes sense, I see where you are coming from! Thanks for clarifying :)

Personally, I tried that in the past app cycle + did 10 interviews but I found the firms differ v. quite a bit if you look past the key headline stats. I respect the volume approach especially if you need to get on a scheme + a TC though!

SamanthaBracey

TLT Graduate Recruitment
  • Sep 14, 2022

Ngl you need to update this or I would have applied if I knew you'd scrapped them

They said at the insight scheme in summer that they had VI too.
    Hi!

I've contacted our comms team to get this changed. This is an older blog but as it's not dated, I can see where the confusion lies!

Some of the Trainees on the Insight Scheme may have been talking about their experience when they applied a few years but I can confirm we no longer use this as an assessment. Do apply for our direct Training Contract which closes in May if you're interested in TLT :)

Reactions: CorpLawyer00

j.s.cox

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 29, 2022
    That makes sense, I see where you are coming from! Thanks for clarifying :)

Personally, I tried that in the past app cycle + did 10 interviews but I found the firms differ v. quite a bit if you look past the key headline stats. I respect the volume approach especially if you need to get on a scheme + a TC though!
    At the application stage, I think it's just about getting to the next stage. If you are successful past this, you should be able to do more in-depth research. I've also found it easier to front end the research by doing lots of networking and attending free virtual events or open days to gather information. I usually collate this and include the names of people who said certain things and use that resource to help with application writing.

The further you get through the process, the more you can focus on the smaller differences. Half the battle is making it through the initial filtering process. I think this saves a bit of time, helping you to write more applications.

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    At the application stage, I think it's just about getting to the next stage. If you are successful past this, you should be able to do more in-depth research. I've also found it easier to front end the research by doing lots of networking and attending free virtual events or open days to gather information. I usually collate this and include the names of people who said certain things and use that resource to help with application writing.

The further you get through the process, the more you can focus on the smaller differences. Half the battle is making it through the initial filtering process.
    That makes sense! Thanks @CorpSmith02 and @j.s.cox for your valuable perspectives - these gave me a lot to think about :)

D

Deleted member 24543

Has anyone had prior experience in realising that you submitted an incorrect grade > I wrote M1 instead of M2 (Pre-U). I still meet the eligibility requirements but of course it ruins the legitimacy of my app which is under consideration?

I'm accepting that it is likely to completely rule out my app from any consideration but would be great to hear of anyone that has gone through the process of trying to amend their app through grad recruitment with success.

Thanks team
    Hey Sachin! If it's of any consolation, I've done the same thing. As an international student I wasn't sure about sixth form systems etc during my first cycle of apps, and I actually submitted my O level Grades to HSF under the 16-18 studies portion (where I was actually supposed to key in my A level grades...). Looking back, I now know A level grades are required by almost every firm, but there I was submitting an app without my A level grades!

Anyways I emailed the graduate recruitment team explaining that I misunderstood the grades portion of their application, submitted the correct grades for them to factor in and they took it well and amended my app accordingly! Got the offer for their spring scheme in the end, so don't worry about it diminishing the quality of your application! Mistakes like these happen to the best of us, and we can't be expected to know everything! In fact owning up to your mistake and emailing them promptly demonstrates you taking initiative :)

The email I sent if it helps:

Dear Graduate Recruitment Team,

My name is ... and my candidate number is ... Upon reviewing my application, I've noticed that my grades for my 14-16 studies were put under the 16-18 section. I have submitted my A-level grades as part of a separate document attached to my application (this was completed when I was 18, but I enrolled into the school when I was 17 owing to the different education system in [my home country]), and the correct 14-16 school examination grades are as follows: English- X, Science (Chemistry and Biology)- X, Mathematics- X. I apologise for this misunderstanding and I hope this information aids in any confusion! Thank you for your time in reading this.

Best regards,
    [My name]

Last edited by a moderator:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    I completed my tests 28th November I think it was. This was for direct TC, don’t think anyone’s heard back yet
    I have been to their open day today. GR said they checking applications slowly and will be running most of their ACs on February. So we still have time until that date.
    I haven't heard back either. However, when I spoke to them at a law fair, they recommended I apply for the VS rather than the open day first then the VS, as they plan to take people through the process before the deadline.
    Thank you all and I think they are getting back to people after the deadline.

Sachin Chandra

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 16, 2020
    Hey Sachin! If it's of any consolation, I've done the same thing. As an international student I wasn't sure about sixth form systems etc during my first cycle of apps, and I actually submitted my O level Grades to HSF under the 16-18 studies portion (where I was actually supposed to key in my A level grades...). Looking back, I now know A level grades are required by almost every firm, but there I was submitting an app without my A level grades!

Anyways I emailed the graduate recruitment team explaining that I misunderstood the grades portion of their application, submitted the correct grades for them to factor in and they took it well and amended my app accordingly! Got the offer for their spring scheme in the end, so don't worry about it diminishing the quality of your application! Mistakes like these happen to the best of us, and we can't be expected to know everything! In fact owning up to your mistake and emailing them promptly demonstrates you taking initiative :)

The email I sent if it helps:

Dear Graduate Recruitment Team,

My name is ... and my candidate number is ... Upon reviewing my application, I've noticed that my grades for my 14-16 studies were put under the 16-18 section. I have submitted my A-level grades as part of a separate document attached to my application (this was completed when I was 18, but I enrolled into the school when I was 17 owing to the different education system in [my home country]), and the correct 14-16 school examination grades are as follows: English- X, Science (Chemistry and Biology)- X, Mathematics- X. I apologise for this misunderstanding and I hope this information aids in any confusion! Thank you for your time in reading this.

Best regards,
    [My name]
    Thanks so much for this. Really useful and given me some hope

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    I've answered a whole question on one experience in detail ("What would you say has been your greatest success to date and how did you achieve this"). Can I refer to this experience in a cover letter, even though I've already talked about it? I feel like it backs up my point nicely, and I would just be referring to it briefly. TIA. @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've answered a whole question on one experience in detail ("What would you say has been your greatest success to date and how did you achieve this"). Can I refer to this experience in a cover letter, even though I've already talked about it? I feel like it backs up my point nicely, and I would just be referring to it briefly. TIA. @Jessica Booker
    If it is making a point that isn't about your greatest success, then that is fine given it is a brief reference. But if the point is effectively trying to reference a significant achievement, I don't think it is needed.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    If it is making a point that isn't about your greatest success, then that is fine given it is a brief reference. But if the point is effectively trying to reference a significant achievement, I don't think it is needed.
    So if I'm referring to the experience being a time where I was innovative, but I haven't mentioned innovation within the 'greatest success' question, it should be ok? For reference, the experience was a year long, so I'm not just referring to a short event!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.