TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 26, 2022
For Osborne Clarke's q: Please outline the reasons why you wish to pursue a career in commercial law at Osborne Clarke.

Did you only talk about OC or also why comm law
Unsure if it's correct as I've only just applied, but I've focused it on why OC, but linked all of my points to commercial law too. I think it's quite hard to talk about 'why OC' without linking to commercial law at all.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
So if I'm referring to the experience being a time where I was innovative, but I haven't mentioned innovation within the 'greatest success' question, it should be ok? For reference, the experience was a year long, so I'm not just referring to a short event!
Yes, that is fine then as they are actually different examples (just within the same experience).

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    An application form asks me 'Have you previously applied to firm X for any position?'. If I have previously applied for a VS and been unsuccessful, does this diminish my chances? I got through to the second stage but did not adequately prepare.
    I know that I will take the process more seriously this time but do not want to be rejected based on my prior application process.
    Please help.
    @Jessica Booker

Reactions: Equal_Rites

DimpledHopper

Star Member
    Sep 20, 2021
    just checked the online FAQs and apparently candidates are applied to apply maximum twice to the company
    Hi, sorry for taking so long to reply! I don't know which FAQs you read but I found this on HL's application form (it's for direct TC but the substance of what it says applies to your VS applications). Basically you can't make a Winter and Summer VS application in the same cycle :(. But you can apply again next cycle. I hope this helps!

Screenshot 2023-01-15 at 7.28.06 PM.png

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    An application form asks me 'Have you previously applied to firm X for any position?'. If I have previously applied for a VS and been unsuccessful, does this diminish my chances? I got through to the second stage but did not adequately prepare.
    I know that I will take the process more seriously this time but do not want to be rejected based on my prior application process.
    Please help.
    @Jessica Booker
    Most of the time, a previous application will not have any implications on your latest one. There are some exceptions - for instance, some firms do restrict people from reapplying in certain timeframes or in certain instances.

Based on the above, I suspect many would ask me "why do they ask the question then?". Well it is important for checking people aren't making multiple applications to the same vacancy in the same cycle or if they do have any policies about reapplying, this allows them to easily check the new applicant complies with the policy.

In some cases, when a decision of whether to invite someone through to the next stage of the process is marginal, the answer to the question may make the recruiters wonder what has changed since the last application. Therefore, they may look for what activities you have done since the last application to see if this could see any personal or professional development that would mean it is worthwhile making a different decision than to outcome of the previous application.

Most of the time, a previous application will not have any implications on your latest one. There are some exceptions - for instance, some firms do restrict people from reapplying in certain timeframes or in certain instances.

Based on the above, I suspect many would ask me "why do they ask the question then?". Well it is important for checking people aren't making multiple applications to the same vacancy in the same cycle or if they do have any policies about reapplying, this allows them to easily check the new applicant complies with the policy.

In some cases, when a decision of whether to invite someone through to the next stage of the process is marginal, the answer to the question may make the recruiters wonder what has changed since the last application. Therefore, they may look for what activities you have done since the last application to see if this could see any personal or professional development that would mean it is worthwhile making a different decision than to outcome of the previous application.
    HSF you have to wait 2 years before reapplying if unsuccessful at interview

travers smith you can never apply again for a VS if unsuccessful at interview

D

Deleted member 24543

Hey guys, for one of the firm's interviews one of my friend's was asked "How can start-ups have no revenue but still have high net value"? Anyone knows a good answer to this, my finance and EBITDA knowledge is fairly limited... I barely know about venture capitals too :')

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2022
    Hey guys, for one of the firm's interviews one of my friend's was asked "How can start-ups have no revenue but still have high net value"? Anyone knows a good answer to this, my finance and EBITDA knowledge is fairly limited... I barely know about venture capitals too :')
    This is just a guess but it might be because the company have capital from investors which it could use to buy assets like property, inventory and vehicles. These items are classed as equity on the balance sheet, which is why it looks like it has a high net value but it does not mean the company is necessarily turning over a profit from the business itself.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.