TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Yeah I’m thinking claridges, the ritz, the landmark or shangri-La then sending Kirkland an invoice afterwards. Idk how it would go down with grad rec tho, especially if I bag a suite
    I think they’d be disappointed if you only bagged a suite, ain’t no PE partner taking you seriously if you ain’t going for the presidential suite, didn’t you see that a ex Kirkland Partner bought a £31 million house?

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    I think they’d be disappointed if you only bagged a suite, ain’t no PE partner taking you seriously if you ain’t going for the presidential suite, didn’t you see that a ex Kirkland Partner bought a £31 million house?

I saw that - no way it’s all his money - even if he’s getting those equity partner megabucks he’d be taxed to death I think his wife is giga rich

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Is it bad practice to ask a firm if they provide accommodation expenses ? I have a couple ACs in London next week and will have to travel the night before. One firm has offered to pay but the other hasn’t. Is it worth asking or j to take the L and shell out for a Spenny gaff to avoid annoying them?
    It isn’t bad practice to ask. The answer will either be yes or no, or only to a certain amount. It will then be up to you to manage it.

Reactions: CorpLawyer00

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022
    Yeah I’m thinking claridges, the ritz, the landmark or shangri-La then sending Kirkland an invoice afterwards. Idk how it would go down with grad rec tho, especially if I bag a suite
    Some firms are flexible but the majority only cover up to a reasonable price. I’d highly doubt they’d cover the expenses for the luxury hotels you have mentioned. For the very reason that they have a budget (they might aswell give you a training contract if they are going to invest that much money into you).

For AC’s, I’d look into relatively cheaper alternatives, Travel Lodge, Premier Inn? (preferably a little on the outskirts of London or further way from central), student accommodation providers such as LSE, or staying with friends/family.

For vacation schemes, I did a six week internship in the Summer and stayed with UniteStudents for £960 for six weeks in total. (£24 per night) but had to pay all upfront. It’s worth mentioning UniteStudents don’t offer their summer stays until March thereof. So you might have to wait.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Some firms are flexible but the majority only cover up to a reasonable price. I’d highly doubt they’d cover the expenses for the luxury hotels you have mentioned. For the very reason that they have a budget (they might aswell give you a training contract if they are going to invest that much money into you).

For AC’s, I’d look into relatively cheaper alternatives, Travel Lodge, Premier Inn? (preferably a little on the outskirts of London or further way from central), student accommodation providers such as LSE, or staying with friends/family.

For vacation schemes, I did a six week internship in the Summer and stayed with UniteStudents for £960 for six weeks in total. (£24 per night) but had to pay all upfront. It’s worth mentioning UniteStudents don’t offer their summer stays until March thereof. So you might have to wait.
    Ahahahah I was joking 💀💀💀💀

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Is there anyone still waiting for CMS post-WG? By this time last year I had already finished the AC & I had submitted my app a day later than this year. Even a PFO would be understandable but radio silence seems so odd this late in the season.
    I am in this same position!

It is very frustrating, but I am hoping they have not sent us a PFO as there might be more spaces to complete a VI this coming week or even after.

My heart keeps telling me they will run AC's through till early/mid Feb.

I would prefer a PFO rather than radio silence though, my heart can't take it.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    When asking for format adjustments for an AC (eg. font sizes of documents), at what point should I poke grad rec for a reminder? AC in question isn't for a week, but I asked for adjustments a couple of weeks ago and I haven't yet heard back.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.