Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Thank you Jessica :)

I attended a few events last year with Slaughters and their winter workshop where we were told to make the cover letters concise. They want a brief intro about you, i.e. what you are studying/studied, where that is/was and at what stage you are at now. They want a second para on why commercial law and a third para explaining why slaughters. They say if you have mitigating circumstances then this should form a fourth para but otherwise just sign off. Make sure to sign off appropriately with 'Yours sincerely' as you will be addressing your letter to somebody (Janine Arnold is the recipient for this year still I believe). Make sure it looks professional and appropriately laid out - this matters as much as your content. Check you are using the correct date and all the address details for the London office. I also added a brief line before signing off to state that my CV was attached and to say that I looked forward to hearing from them.

I hope this helps and if you have any further questions please feel free to message/asl in this thread :)

• ℹ️
  • 🏆
Reactions: R203, wwood, AAS18 and 4 others

Brandon93

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 25, 2018
Hi Jessica,

When speaking about open days in the work experience part of the application, should I do one entry and bullet point the events with the date next to it? Or should I speak about my experiences briefly?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

When speaking about open days in the work experience part of the application, should I do one entry and bullet point the events with the date next to it? Or should I speak about my experiences briefly?

Thanks!

I would personally do the former. Its technically not work experience (although this can be the best place to put them, depending on the structure of the application form).

There’s no point telling us what you did on the open day. At best, tell us one key thing you took away/learnt from them. But telling us the format of open days is one of the most tedious (an unnecessary) things to read - it isn’t really about you as the same could be said of all the other attendees.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I totally agree with @Jessica Booker and I only add details of an event if it’s at the firm
I’m making the app to, otherwise I just state the events in succession with the dates I attended next to them :)

See I wouldn’t add details of the event for the firm if you are applying to them. They of all people would know what the Open Day consists of - what you should focus on is why the open day solidified your rationale for applying to them.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
See I wouldn’t add details of the event for the firm if you are applying to them. They of all people would know what the Open Day consists of - what you should focus on is why the open day solidified your rationale for applying to them.
I meant details I.e what I found most interesting about the event and what I learned, not a run down of what the day consisted of. My wording was a bit misleading there so apologies for any confusion but I meant just giving them a bit more depth about what I gained from the day as opposed to simply giving the date of their event :)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Marco Mendola

Jan 8, 2019
Hi Jessica,
I hope you are familiarising well with TCLA.
I have a couple of questions for you please. A short background. I am 33 years old, I hold advanced studies in law and worked in legal but in other jurisdictions. I am now living in the UK, currently working in legal/regulation and finishing my GDL. Looking forward to the LPC and aspiring solicitor.
Question A: Do you think I should apply to vacation schemes or law fairs to develop my network, or do you think this is not my place considering that I am a bit older than the average and I have a bit of working experience?
Question B: Do you think there's a possibility to get a TC without having the LPC yet, again considering that I am not straight fresh after Uni, or do you think it is better to apply to TCs directly having secured an LPC on my own or least in the process?
Any suggestions please let me know from your point of view.
Many thanks.
Marco

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How much experience do you have in other jurisdictions?

The LPC isn’t an issue - but the challenge might be that you are seen as over experiences for a TC.

KayM.

Sep 11, 2019
That's hard to say without seeing the answer. As long as you're using the space to make sure you're focusing on the specific things you did on your internship, you'll be fine. If you feel confident that you've said everything you need to say - and the rest would be just fluff - you can stop there.
Great point Jaysen!

Reactions: Jaysen

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
Hi Jessica - some of the app forms ask people to put their CV and write about each work experience - how would you approach this? The app form asks you to outline details/detail the responsibilities in 150 words or less. I find that I do repeat the tasks I mentioned in my CV. Or is it more appropriate to address how each experience shaped my decision to become a solicitor?

Thank you so much! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica - some of the app forms ask people to put their CV and write about each work experience - how would you approach this? The app form asks you to outline details/detail the responsibilities in 150 words or less. I find that I do repeat the tasks I mentioned in my CV. Or is it more appropriate to address how each experience shaped my decision to become a solicitor?

Thank you so much! :)

I’d expect the CV to be more factual, focusing on tasks and responsibilities, and key achievements.

If the application includes a CV, I would focus my 150 answer on the things I enjoyed/found most challenge/learnt the most from etc. There will be some repetition/cross over but the tone should be very different.

Reactions: Eva

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
I’d expect the CV to be more factual, focusing on tasks and responsibilities, and key achievements.

If the application includes a CV, I would focus my 150 answer on the things I enjoyed/found most challenge/learnt the most from etc. There will be some repetition/cross over but the tone should be very different.

Thank you so much!! This is very helpful! :)

Sophie Warren

Sep 23, 2019
Hi Jessica, in your opinion, how many years would you define a ‘recent graduate’ as? And subject to this definition, should you talk about extra curricular activities/positions of responsibility in first year/second year of university if this was 6 years ago for example? Equally, if you are working in practice as a paralegal for example, could you use this as a position of responsibility as well as listing it within your list of work experience? As a post graduate with two years of experience of working in practice, I often find that application forms seem to be aimed at university students and I struggle to answer questions focussed around extra curricular activities etc. Are you able to suggest the best approach to these questions as a post graduate. Thank you in advance!

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, in your opinion, how many years would you define a ‘recent graduate’ as? And subject to this definition, should you talk about extra curricular activities/positions of responsibility in first year/second year of university if this was 6 years ago for example? Equally, if you are working in practice as a paralegal for example, could you use this as a position of responsibility as well as listing it within your list of work experience? As a post graduate with two years of experience of working in practice, I often find that application forms seem to be aimed at university students and I struggle to answer questions focussed around extra curricular activities etc. Are you able to suggest the best approach to these questions as a post graduate. Thank you in advance!

Does the job application suggest you need to be a “recent graduate”? If so....o_O:rolleyes:

I don’t agree with the term but a recent graduate to me is someone who graduated in the last 18 months (maybe 24 months at a push). But it’s one of those definitions that is up for debate - seen some employers deem recent as graduated in the last 12 months. But that would be someone who is a “recent” PG grad as much as a UG grad.

Any job is not a position of responsibility - it is work experience. But if you have had additional responsibility in that job then explain that. By that I mean things like mentoring, CSR initiatives, being involved in volunteering/fund raising, or getting involved in work outside of your jobs remit (and by that I mean things like helping with graduate Recruitment - attending fairs, interviewing, helping out with their events etc - although could be other departments like Marketing CSR).

I wouldn’t personally focus on things you did 6-7+ years ago. You probably have a lot more recent experience that shows off your skill set better. It’s not that you should explain your first year ECs, just don’t waste word count on describing them.

Based on the above, do you have any ECs / PoR from the last 3-4 years (eg while working or during your masters).?

wwood

Distinguished Member
Jan 19, 2019
Hi Jessica - many thanks for your guidance - it is incredibly helpful.

I am wondering if the application form asks "how is [firm I'm applying to] different from other firms you applied to?" - how would you approach this? Should you really mention other firms? Or don't mention at all (treat it like the generic "why this firm")?

Thank you so much! Look forward to your insights.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica - many thanks for your guidance - it is incredibly helpful.

I am wondering if the application form asks "how is [firm I'm applying to] different from other firms you applied to?" - how would you approach this? Should you really mention other firms? Or don't mention at all (treat it like the generic "why this firm")?

Thank you so much! Look forward to your insights.

I don’t think it really matters either way. If you want to name firms, go for it. But don’t approach it like a “why this firm” question - that’s not answering the question .

Marco Mendola

Jan 8, 2019
How much experience do you have in other jurisdictions?

The LPC isn’t an issue - but the challenge might be that you are seen as over experiences for a TC.
Hi Jessica. I have completed the equivalent of a training contract in Italy (2 years) after LLB and LLM/LPC like a trainee solicitor in the UK, but I am not qualified to practice as a lawyer yet because we have a final state bar exam, which unfortunately I failed 2 years ago. I can try that again, but in the meantime, I am shaping my legal studies and profile into the UK system to be qualified in this country as a permanent resident.
There is anything you suggest to facilitate or being more focused on my apps? Could I consider myself within the career changers group of applicants? I haven't changed studies or career, but only the country where I am living.
Please let me know your thoughts, very appreciated.
Thanks
Marco

Marco Mendola

Jan 8, 2019
Hi Jessica. I have completed the equivalent of a training contract in Italy (2 years) after LLB and LLM/LPC like a trainee solicitor in the UK, but I am not qualified to practice as a lawyer yet because we have a final state bar exam, which unfortunately I failed 2 years ago. I can try that again, but in the meantime, I am shaping my legal studies and profile into the UK system to be qualified in this country as a permanent resident.
There is anything you suggest to facilitate or being more focused on my apps? Could I consider myself within the career changers group of applicants? I haven't changed studies or career, but only the country where I am living.
Please let me know your thoughts, very appreciated.
Thanks
Marco

PS: Otherwise, the worst-case scenario would be, finishing my GDL and holding the fire until the new SQE exam to qualify as a solicitor in Eng&Wal? Thanks

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.