Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

D

Deleted member 2707

Who told you to centre your application around a deal? I rarely see applications that are better off because of the mention of a deal. Most of the time, I find it comes across as quite artificial and doesn't give me any more insight into why a candidate is applying to a particular firm.

On one of the 'Training Contract/Vac Scheme tips' websites. Shearman & Sterling also did a Q&A today on their instagram and they said often most good applications would include talking about a deal. I'm just not sure how to incorporate as my interest in the deals is often due to the fact that they are either big clients or just in relation to a practice area I am interested in.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    On one of the 'Training Contract/Vac Scheme tips' websites. Shearman & Sterling also did a Q&A today on their instagram and they said often most good applications would include talking about a deal. I'm just not sure how to incorporate as my interest in the deals is often due to the fact that they are either big clients or just in relation to a practice area I am interested in.

I’d be interested to hear the context in which they said that. If you come across a deal as you’re researching the firm and it helps to back up your point then fine - but I wouldn’t go looking for a deal just for the sake of it. There are so many ways to differentiate a firm that finding a deal isn’t necessary.

Edit - I just found the question was: ‘Is it imperative for us to talk about specific deals in our application?’. If we’re talking about this for the rest of your applications - the answer is no.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Jade
    D

Deleted member 2707

I’d be interested to hear the context in which they said that. If you come across a deal as you’re researching the firm and it helps to back up your point then fine - but I wouldn’t go looking for a deal just for the sake of it. There are so many ways to differentiate a firm that finding a deal isn’t necessary.

Edit - I just found the question was: ‘Is it imperative for us to talk about specific deals in our application?’. If we’re talking about this for the rest of your applications - the answer is no.

Thanks Jaysen! I don't usually focus on deals so thats a huge relief. On a side note, for the work experience section, how detailed do we have to describe our internship positions?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks Jaysen! I don't usually focus on deals so thats a huge relief. On a side note, for the work experience section, how detailed do we have to describe our internship positions?

That's hard to say without seeing the answer. As long as you're using the space to make sure you're focusing on the specific things you did on your internship, you'll be fine. If you feel confident that you've said everything you need to say - and the rest would be just fluff - you can stop there.

Reactions: Deleted member 2707

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Practice area is more specific and useful to state. But there’s little reason in explaining the deal, just explain why it interests you (just make sure it is a UK based matter).

Reactions: Deleted member 2707

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

Focus on achievements and what you learnt. Avoid filler phrases like “During this internship I had the opportunity to...”.

People are going to know you are doing basic admin and research tasks, and that you worked with trainees or associates so you don’t need that kind of detail.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just came across Linklaters' plans to scrap its application: https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/09/...g-contract-application-to-save-students-time/

@Jessica Booker - do you reckon this is a one-off or think we'll see more firms doing something like this in the future?

I think it will be an increased trend - or at least very stripped back applications to the basics (your contact details).

Evidence shows time and time again that application forms are a really unreliable way of recruiting, so I am not surprised firms like Linklaters are “scrapping” applications for more reliable forms of assessment.

Matty900

Feb 9, 2019
    I received my 1st year module results (RG uni) at the beginning of June. My overall grade is 61%, with a low 2:2 in Contract Law. I don't want to talk about the circumstances which led to such a low result (they are not "extenuating").

Will I have to wait until my final year to apply for vacation schemes at City (SC/MC/US) firms? Can a good application override the 2:2 in the most important first year module? I'm guessing my work experience at City firms and extra-curricular stuff will be worthless with this poor Contract Law result. Even if I achieved a high 2:1 in 2nd year, would this grade prevent me from getting a TC at a "top" (SC/MC/US) firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I received my 1st year module results (RG uni) at the beginning of June. My overall grade is 61%, with a low 2:2 in Contract Law. I don't want to talk about the circumstances which led to such a low result (they are not "extenuating").

Will I have to wait until my final year to apply for vacation schemes at City (SC/MC/US) firms? Can a good application override the 2:2 in the most important first year module? I'm guessing my work experience at City firms and extra-curricular stuff will be worthless with this poor Contract Law result. Even if I achieved a high 2:1 in 2nd year, would this grade prevent me from getting a TC at a "top" (SC/MC/US) firm?

You need to change your attitude - that will hold you back far more than a 2.2 contact module.

1) Contract isn’t necessarily the most important module to law firms - especially if they can see a strength elsewhere

2) your work experience and ECs will never be “worthless”

I doubt the contract module is the issue though - you’re only just on a 2.1 overall so clearly other modules are either no consistent or also low. That could be more worrying than the contract module alone.

Focus on getting your grades up, continue to build the rest of your CV up and give applications a go this year anyway. You’ve got nothing to lose apart from some time and energy - both of which could pay off later down the line even if you didn’t secure a vac scheme this summer.

• 🏆
    Reactions: wwood, Jade and Daniel Boden

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Hi again Jessica,

I have two more questions for you! I was reading the thread from Abstruser, where they state that they had never met the firms they were offered a training contract at before an interview.

I would think that nearly everyone who applies for a TC or Vac Scheme at a firm they've never met reads the Chambers Student Guide, LawCareers.Net etc. and has a poke around the firm's website or see where it has been featured in the legal or business press. But it can still be hard to properly grasp what a firm is all about without meeting them and asking them questions yourself. What would you say the best way to learn about a firm is, if you're in that position?

Secondly, if you have the opportunity to meet recruiters at Open Days, what are the best things to ask, or to avoid asking?

Thanks again.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi again Jessica,

I have two more questions for you! I was reading the thread from Abstruser, where they state that they had never met the firms they were offered a training contract at before an interview.

I would think that nearly everyone who applies for a TC or Vac Scheme at a firm they've never met reads the Chambers Student Guide, LawCareers.Net etc. and has a poke around the firm's website or see where it has been featured in the legal or business press. But it can still be hard to properly grasp what a firm is all about without meeting them and asking them questions yourself. What would you say the best way to learn about a firm is, if you're in that position?

Secondly, if you have the opportunity to meet recruiters at Open Days, what are the best things to ask, or to avoid asking?

Thanks again.

Q1) I don’t think there is a best way. I think you have to find out what works for you. There’s loads of ways you can inform yourself these days - whether it’s thorough searches on the internet, social media, connecting with people on LinkedIn, using your university alumni network, just asking people for advice, forums like this, YouTube clips, Glassdoor, Google alerts, careers events through the likes of Aspiring Solicitors/Legal Cheek/Rare/SEO, campus events etc. But all of that depends on your preferences and also which type of firms you are looking to apply to.

Q2) Just genuine questions. Don’t try too hard or try to be too clever. You aren’t really going to impress them by doing so - you just need to come across as genuinely intrigued to learn more. Just try to avoid questions that are obvious from their website (shows lack of research on your part) or questions that isn’t appropriate for a recruiter to answer (often questions about firm strategy/technical aspects of law etc).

Reactions: Abstruser

AMLaw

Standard Member
    Jul 25, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

When an application form asks 'do you have any links with this firm?', what exactly do they mean? There is a separate question re knowing somebody that works there.

Many thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

When an application form asks 'do you have any links with this firm?', what exactly do they mean? There is a separate question re knowing somebody that works there.

Many thanks.

I would take it as:

Have you met anyone that might not know who you are (eg have you been to any of their careers events)

Have you worked with the firm before (eg done informal work experience with the firm, but the person you worked for is no longer there).

Have you had any other connection, just not to specific individuals (eg have you worked at a client.

Literally take it as have you had any connection to the firm rather than an individual at the firm

AAS18

Aug 5, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I am currently making an application for Slaughter and May's vac scheme and have been advised to make my Cover Letter very short and not to repeat information I have included in my CV. I wanted to check with you whether cutting my content to exclude details about my extra-curricular activities and information about my work experience (already mentioned in my CV) is an ideal approach?

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I am currently making an application for Slaughter and May's vac scheme and have been advised to make my Cover Letter very short and not to repeat information I have included in my CV. I wanted to check with you whether cutting my content to exclude details about my extra-curricular activities and information about my work experience (already mentioned in my CV) is an ideal approach?

Definitely - if you have been told to not repeat info in your CV, don’t replicate it in your cover letter.

Focus your cover letter on what your CV doesn’t tell people.

Reactions: Alice G

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.