Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Jess, I have a quick question there is a question on adaptability and how I can demonstrate it? I have suffered an undiagnosed case of dyslexia until I came to UK for my high school I got diagnosed, I used this to show my adaptability. Is this good way to go about it.

Depends how you frame it. It’s not that you can’t use it, but I would think about whether you have other examples you could use

hashneevvora

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2018
Depends how you frame it. It’s not that you can’t use it, but I would think about whether you have other examples you could use
I have framed it is saying that I realised from a young age I have a learning difficulty. Coming from a small town such difficulty is not easily recognised by schools. But I had to teach myself things in order to better understand concepts by spending extra time on it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have framed it is saying that I realised from a young age I have a learning difficulty. Coming from a small town such difficulty is not easily recognised by schools. But I had to teach myself things in order to better understand concepts by spending extra time on it.

What other examples do you think you may have?

Jason

Sep 2, 2019
I am about to begin my second year at a RG university. In my first year I got a low 2.1 (60%). Is this grade likely to prevent me from getting a VC at the top firms or do I have a chance? Should I instead spend the year working on my grades ready for applications for my third year? TIA

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am about to begin my second year at a RG university. In my first year I got a low 2.1 (60%). Is this grade likely to prevent me from getting a VC at the top firms or do I have a chance? Should I instead spend the year working on my grades ready for applications for my third year? TIA

They aren’t mutually exclusive - you can choose both to apply and work on your grades.

Is the rest of your application very strong/excellent?

KLaw125

Junior Lawyer
Aug 21, 2018
I moved to uk from foreign myself at 16 years old, the culture shock and adaption required

Hi, I understand this is for Jessica to help out but thought I could offer some perspective.

Firstly, regarding your dyslexia, I have similar circumstances and would say prioritise positive things within applications. Try to use mitigating circumstances section as the place to explain this. I have had vacation schemes opportunities regardless of my disabilities because I reinforced my strengths at all times. You are at no disadvantage.

Secondly, with your experience moving to the UK, I can relate as I used my experience adjusting to new country whilst working within Africa/ living alone on applications. However, the best rule to live by is 'Show don't tell'. Although this is a very impressive accomplishment, you can ground this experience by making it tangible and attribute how it shows adaptability/resilience directly. I wrote on applications adjusting to the wider culture directly by mentioning the practical steps I took to accomplish goals (which were projects at work/ making a good impression). For example, I managed my commute to work, leaving 2 hours in advance for work daily to account for poor infrastructure from rural area I was living in, ensuring I was punctual and completed my work placement successfully. Additionally, I adjusted to a more meritocratic system in the country by ensuring I was attentive to cultural norms for junior employees, and prioritised tasks for senior managers when assigned to ensure that I did not make a bad impression. Writing this was under the theme of resilience and adapting, so i concluded I was able to be involved in an important project for the company, but the main point is that you specifically mention exactly what you have done in the example.

For your circumstance, mention potential challenges you overcame directly through the moving to the UK and living alone. It is unique experience and no small thing, so communicate that in your application! Whether it be language or cultural transitions you adapted to (always state the exact aspect though, culture can be vague at times), working part time to ensure you can financially manage yourself whilst living independently and still gaining quality grades etc.

To summarise, try to show competencies by reflecting on your experience meaningfully, show evidence of how you've developed yourself through your unique them. Regardless of how different it may be, you can communicate your success and how you can be impactful in a law firm.

Apologies for the length but hope this helps.

Last edited:

ELA

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Sorry if this question has already been asked.

I'm set to start the GDL this October without a TC (though I have an interview coming up), I'm getting worried about the SQE and lack of clarity around some of it.

For example, I read this on a website:

"Anyone who commences a law degree, GDL or LPC before September 2021 can qualify through the old system. They will have until 2032 to complete the route and qualify as solicitors. However, they may choose to qualify through SQE if they prefer.

However, City law firms have indicated that they won’t cater for the old route until 2032 – they are likely to require all candidates to take the SQE from 2022.

This is because firms don’t want dual streams of SQE and LPC graduates in the same trainee intake. In turn, if firms only want their trainees to do SQE, law schools will stop teaching the LPC as it will no longer be profitable. This means that LPC teaching could end before the old route officially expires in 2032.

If you are a GDL or LPC student or are planning to start one of these courses in 2019 or 2020, don’t worry. The introduction of SQE is still at least a couple of years away at least and nothing will change until it is introduced."

I know that guidance says things like "Anyone who commences a law degree, GDL or LPC before September 2021 can qualify through the old system", but is this assuming that you have got your TC secured when you start the GDL and that you'll therefore have one before the SQE starts? In reality, there are many people who have completed the LPC, are paralegals, and are still applying for TCs. It's not a situation I aspire to be in obviously, but I had found it reassuring to think "I've got an indefinite amount of years to find a TC. Even if it takes me 3, 4 or 5 years, I'll get there eventually."

But my question is, does the SQE mean that essentially, starting the GDL now, there will be a limit to how long I've got to get a TC? Is there going to be a point when someone who has completed the GDL and LPC but hasn't got a TC would have to pay for, and pass, the SQE 1 and 2 on top of that (and perhaps even the preparation courses)?

Thanks,

Elise

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Sorry if this question has already been asked.

I'm set to start the GDL this October without a TC (though I have an interview coming up), I'm getting worried about the SQE and lack of clarity around some of it.

For example, I read this on a website:

"Anyone who commences a law degree, GDL or LPC before September 2021 can qualify through the old system. They will have until 2032 to complete the route and qualify as solicitors. However, they may choose to qualify through SQE if they prefer.

However, City law firms have indicated that they won’t cater for the old route until 2032 – they are likely to require all candidates to take the SQE from 2022.

This is because firms don’t want dual streams of SQE and LPC graduates in the same trainee intake. In turn, if firms only want their trainees to do SQE, law schools will stop teaching the LPC as it will no longer be profitable. This means that LPC teaching could end before the old route officially expires in 2032.

If you are a GDL or LPC student or are planning to start one of these courses in 2019 or 2020, don’t worry. The introduction of SQE is still at least a couple of years away at least and nothing will change until it is introduced."

I know that guidance says things like "Anyone who commences a law degree, GDL or LPC before September 2021 can qualify through the old system", but is this assuming that you have got your TC secured when you start the GDL and that you'll therefore have one before the SQE starts? In reality, there are many people who have completed the LPC, are paralegals, and are still applying for TCs. It's not a situation I aspire to be in obviously, but I had found it reassuring to think "I've got an indefinite amount of years to find a TC. Even if it takes me 3, 4 or 5 years, I'll get there eventually."

But my question is, does the SQE mean that essentially, starting the GDL now, there will be a limit to how long I've got to get a TC? Is there going to be a point when someone who has completed the GDL and LPC but hasn't got a TC would have to pay for, and pass, the SQE 1 and 2 on top of that (and perhaps even the preparation courses)?

Thanks,

Elise

You’re seeing the SQE as a negative - it could actually work to your advantage if you did decide to or had to take it.

The GDL should be your prep course for the SQE. I think it’s equivalent will exist even when the only option is the SQE.

As long as you start the GDL before September 2021 you have the flexibility of both routes. Knowing what your chances are of completing which route based on the preferences of the firms you are applying to is really difficult to speculate on, without knowing what kind of firm you are aiming for

ELA

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Jan 20, 2019
You’re seeing the SQE as a negative - it could actually work to your advantage if you did decide to or had to take it.

The GDL should be your prep course for the SQE. I think it’s equivalent will exist even when the only option is the SQE.

As long as you start the GDL before September 2021 you have the flexibility of both routes. Knowing what your chances are of completing which route based on the preferences of the firms you are applying to is really difficult to speculate on, without knowing what kind of firm you are aiming for

Helpful, thank you!

JonnyS10

Aug 4, 2019
Hi Jessica,

If you don't mind, I have a few interrelated questions concerning the work experience section of a vacation scheme application. During your time as a graduate recruiter, did you notice a trend regarding the physical number of work experiences that the more successful applicants had?

Also, would you say there is an 'ideal' number to hit, and is there a minimum number you recommend an applicant to not go under?

Many thanks,
Jonathan

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

If you don't mind, I have a few interrelated questions concerning the work experience section of a vacation scheme application. During your time as a graduate recruiter, did you notice a trend regarding the physical number of work experiences that the more successful applicants had?

Also, would you say there is an 'ideal' number to hit, and is there a minimum number you recommend an applicant to not go under?

Many thanks,
Jonathan

Definitely no trend. I’ve offered plenty of people with 0 legal work experience on their application to know there isn’t a trend. I’ve also seen too many people with numerous placements still put in poor application forms

There is no ideal either. There’s too many variables that may impact someone’s ability to get a number of work placements to make that crude judgement. It also doesn’t factor in the length of the work experience, nor what you achieve within it.

It’s about content and quality rather than quantity

Dannys

Aug 14, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Just a quick question about application follow up emails. I applied for a winter vacation scheme at a MC firm that said that they take 21 days to respond to an application. It’s now been 24 days since my application me 22 days since I did their SJT and I haven’t received a response.

Do you think it would be better to continue waiting for their response or should I send a follow up email regarding when I should expect to receive a response? Do firms generally view follow up emails as annoying?

Thanks for the help!
Danny

Reactions: aspiring_solicitor
D

Deleted member 2707

Hi Jessica,

I have a question regarding making applications to US firms. Upon researching the kind of deals/work a US firm does, I stumbled upon a specific pro-bono case that this firm worked on that really inspired me and really drove me to apply for a vac scheme at the firm. However, the case was handled by the US office rather than their London office. Is this still worth mentioning?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Just a quick question about application follow up emails. I applied for a winter vacation scheme at a MC firm that said that they take 21 days to respond to an application. It’s now been 24 days since my application me 22 days since I did their SJT and I haven’t received a response.

Do you think it would be better to continue waiting for their response or should I send a follow up email regarding when I should expect to receive a response? Do firms generally view follow up emails as annoying?

Thanks for the help!
Danny

Don’t chase up at this stage. You’re harassing them at one of their busiest times of the year.

If you haven’t heard back by the end of September, call then and see what they say

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I have a question regarding making applications to US firms. Upon researching the kind of deals/work a US firm does, I stumbled upon a specific pro-bono case that this firm worked on that really inspired me and really drove me to apply for a vac scheme at the firm. However, the case was handled by the US office rather than their London office. Is this still worth mentioning?

Thank you!

I’d avoid in all honesty

1) it’s a US matter

2) it’s pro bono

You are rarely if ever going to have exposure to that type of work.

Red

Premium Member
Sep 5, 2019
Hi Jessica, I posted a thread about this but really value someone experienced in graduate recruitment to give their take on it. Sorry for the double-posting but I'm going through a lot of anxiety attacks over the application process, and whether I even realistically stand a chance of getting through:

Last edited:
Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I posted a thread about this but really value someone experienced in graduate recruitment to give their take on it. Sorry for the double-posting but I'm going through a lot of anxiety attacks over the application process, and whether I even realistically stand a chance of getting through:

My personal situation is probably very different from the vast majority of applicants, but I would appreciate any insights as to my prospects of securing a vac scheme and/or TC.

I study Law at University College London (UCL), after achieving very good GCSE and A Level grades. I achieved the highest marks in my home country for two out of my three subjects. However, my first year results were dismal, to say the very least. I initially struggled to keep up with the rigours of the course, and I suffer pure-O OCD and GAD. Whatever the cause was, I ended up failing my Contract Law module, which was probably the worst outcome for someone interested in commercial law. I re-sat and passed but my official mark is capped at 40%, so a bare pass. My performance in my other modules wasn't great either, with 2:2s and low 2:1s.

I was determined to turn things around and I really worked hard this year, alongside getting proper medication and counseling support. I've ended up with a mid-2:1 average of 64% for second-year, including a 70% in EU Law. I know that for most law students such results come naturally, but after my first year, I am quite proud of how far I've progressed. I've been a Committee member on four different societies and I've taken up a part-time retail job. In terms of legal experience, I've done four internships at prestigious international law firms based in my home country; I've attended first-year insight schemes and campus Careers events, and I actively volunteer as a caseworker at a legal clinic. I'm also bilingual and have advanced proficiency in two more languages.

In short, do I still have any chance for even getting a vacation scheme? Firms keep on going on about how they're willing to take extenuating circumstances into account, but realistically, even if I write the best app I can; I have relevant ECs and good A-Levels/good second year grades (from a very reputed/competitive uni), does my first-year pull me back? My degree is awarded based only on second and third year performance so I can still achieve a 2:1 overall, but are firms going to reject me instantly because of Contract/an average of 2:2 in first year?

Would really appreciate any advice/support because I've been getting very anxious about my future. I do want to qualify as a solicitor in a commercial firm, and I feel like I've screwed up years of hard work and dedication because of one bad examination.

Given what you have said, your first year clearly is a blip and you will have medical and academic references to support there were circumstances that led to that blip. If your academics were strong before and have been subsequently, there is not an issue.

You need to explain the circumstances and highlight how those challenges have now been overcome rather than fixating on the result.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018

My personal situation is probably very different from the vast majority of applicants, but I would appreciate any insights as to my prospects of securing a vac scheme and/or TC.

I study Law at University College London (UCL), after achieving very good GCSE and A Level grades. I achieved the highest marks in my home country for two out of my three subjects. However, my first year results were dismal, to say the very least. I initially struggled to keep up with the rigours of the course, and I suffer pure-O OCD and GAD. Whatever the cause was, I ended up failing my Contract Law module, which was probably the worst outcome for someone interested in commercial law. I re-sat and passed but my official mark is capped at 40%, so a bare pass. My performance in my other modules wasn't great either, with 2:2s and low 2:1s.

I was determined to turn things around and I really worked hard this year, alongside getting proper medication and counseling support. I've ended up with a mid-2:1 average of 64% for second-year, including a 70% in EU Law. I know that for most law students such results come naturally, but after my first year, I am quite proud of how far I've progressed. I've been a Committee member on four different societies and I've taken up a part-time retail job. In terms of legal experience, I've done four internships at prestigious international law firms based in my home country; I've attended first-year insight schemes and campus Careers events, and I actively volunteer as a caseworker at a legal clinic. I'm also bilingual and have advanced proficiency in two more languages.

In short, do I still have any chance for even getting a vacation scheme? Firms keep on going on about how they're willing to take extenuating circumstances into account, but realistically, even if I write the best app I can; I have relevant ECs and good A-Levels/good second year grades (from a very reputed/competitive uni), does my first-year pull me back? My degree is awarded based only on second and third year performance so I can still achieve a 2:1 overall, but are firms going to reject me instantly because of Contract/an average of 2:2 in first year?

Would really appreciate any advice/support because I've been getting very anxious about my future. I do want to qualify as a solicitor in a commercial firm, and I feel like I've screwed up years of hard work and dedication because of one bad examination.

I just wanted to add that you were very brave to share this and you’re not the only one with such circumstances either so don’t feel as though you’re alone. It sounds like you’re doing incredibly well and I don’t doubt that you’ll succeed and make a great trainee, especially with the perseverance and resilience you clearly have and have demonstrated. If you ever want to chat don’t hesitate to send a message, we are all in this together on this platform :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.