TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

applicant2023

Standard Member
Mar 2, 2022
hello, any help on this would be appreciated. I have a virtual AC tomorrow but I am quite ill. Completely blocked nose, mild cough, sneezing 4 times in a row etc. I really don't want to cancel or reschedule, but I also don't want to look like an idiot in front of the partner(s). Could I mention to them that I am ill, or should I avoid this?

di

Star Member
Sep 27, 2022
If a firm has 31 TCs and recruits 50% of trainees through direct TC, 50% from vac scheme and there’re 55 vac schemers, does that mean that the conversion rate from VS to TC is (25%)? I’m wondering about Macfarlanes specifically.

@Jessica Booker any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Reactions: refy

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
hello, any help on this would be appreciated. I have a virtual AC tomorrow but I am quite ill. Completely blocked nose, mild cough, sneezing 4 times in a row etc. I really don't want to cancel or reschedule, but I also don't want to look like an idiot in front of the partner(s). Could I mention to them that I am ill, or should I avoid this?
A very brief and subtle reference, especially if you do cough/sneeze - eg “apologies, I am recovering from a cold” is fine. However there is no point in emphasising it or asking for them to take it into account.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, bit of a strange question (and I assume the answer is no), but will firms ever pay more during a VS for accessibility reasons? Eg. Needing to live nearer the offices for the scheme, but this being significantly more expensive. Thanks
They are unlikely to pay more - salary needs to be consistent. However, some firms may reimburse some expenses and others on occasion provide bursaries to those in financial need to cover things like accommodation.

I wouldn’t say this is common though but if you are concerned you won’t be able to afford to attend the scheme (you will effectively be out of pocket if your expenses exceed your outgoings), it is worthwhile speaking to the firm to see what support they can provide. There is no harm in at least asking and the worst they can say is no (which is no different a position to what you are in now).

Be mindful that you don’t need to be “close” to an office - anything commutable (probably up to 75 mins each way) will be something many of their staff are doing in terms of a commute.

• ℹ️
Reactions: HopefulFutureTrainee123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
idk who this is with but I think some firms suggest that they may.

Slaughters invite says this for example: "We will cover your expenses by giving you £450 per week. The firm is committed to ensuring that the scheme is accessible to everyone. To ensure that no-one is prevented from joining us due to financial constraints, we are happy to provide advance and/or top-up payments if the £450 per week will not adequately cover your expenses while you are attending the scheme."
Advances on salaries can be quite easy for many firms if you need to pay for accommodation up front and haven’t got the funds, so it’s worthwhile speaking to them to see if this is an option.

kmo15

Feb 16, 2022
Hi everyone!
I just have a quick question, what law firms in London predominantly take up interns and offer internship positions? Apart from paralegal positions and the usual dispute resolution boutiques which have internship program, any other leads from anyone?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone!
I just have a quick question, what law firms in London predominantly take up interns and offer internship positions? Apart from paralegal positions and the usual dispute resolution boutiques which have internship program, any other leads from anyone?

Thank you!
Do you mean outside of vacation schemes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.