TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fd321

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Mar 3, 2023
I went to a CRS open day two months ago and haven't been reimbursed yet . Wanna ask them to forget about the reimbursement and just give me a place on the scheme instead 🤣🤣🤣
(This is obviously a joke, please don't come at me)
I feel like everyone has either gotten an offer or a PFO and I’m just like has my PFO got lost in the post 😂

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
other than emailing what do you do if a firm hasn't sent you the interview link before your interview? 😭
Call - much quicker than relying on email
Hi everyone! Got some slightly unique circumstances and would be really grateful for any advice - without going into too much detail, I have some good legal work experience with my dad's company from a few years ago, which I obviously mentioned on my application forms, but since applying, a whole lot of drama has unfolded and I'm no longer on speaking terms with my dad. I'm now worried about background checks since I'd really prefer that firms didn't contact him (I'm nervous about him knowing my future plans, apart from anything else), but I'm not sure how to bring this up to grad rec, or if it's just something I'm going to have to deal with?

When I've done similar pre-employment checks in the past, I've mentioned that it's my father's company in case it was a conflict of interest for him to give me a reference, but the company just said they had to contact all previous employers and asked him for a reference regardless, which wasn't a problem until now! Obviously I won't be mentioning this work experience in future application cycles to avoid having to deal with this again next year - it's a shame because it's proved useful to talk about in interviews but doesn't seem worth this stress!!
There would be no reason for the reference check company to give specifics of who the reference is for or for your contact details to be given (if that’s what you are concerned about). Therefore, they wouldn’t know what your plans would be.

I would flag this to Graduate Recruitment and the reference check company and see what they advise on this though/to express your concerns about the information the reference could receive and also to flag up the contentious element that could come back if they did seek a reference.

Reactions: rosec

Bubbles

Legendary Member
Jan 19, 2022
Just got a reserve list email from CRS - might be the same for anyone still waiting
Congratulations, hope you get on!

Does anyone have any idea on what differentiates reserve list candidates from rejected candidates? I looked at rhe general feedback email that CRS sent and honestly I can tick off everything that they said on it. There's no personal feedback so I don't know what I did wrong 😔

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Aug 8, 2022
Same here. Can anyone give insight generally into what the odds are that you get on a scheme from a reserve list placement? Assuming the odds are extremely low but still encouraging to get on.
perhaps not as low as would initially seem. Feel like lots of people start declining offers this late into the year as they have other opportunities. Depends on the firm though.

• 🤝
Reactions: LawBrah

Alison C

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Nov 27, 2019
    Congratulations, hope you get on!

Does anyone have any idea on what differentiates reserve list candidates from rejected candidates? I looked at rhe general feedback email that CRS sent and honestly I can tick off everything that they said on it. There's no personal feedback so I don't know what I did wrong 😔
    The rejection email also has typos... never reassuring.

Para 1 alone:
    "Its important to highlight..... you appreciate what our means to our clients..."

And really, they think we need reminding about the STAR technique?

Sigh...

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.