TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 18, 2022
Hi, I think the Links vac scheme applications open up today but with my uni exams I'll only be able to apply in May - I know they review on a non-rolling basis but I'm a lil worried. And I wanted to confirm if this is for folks graduating in 2025 and those who will be starting their TCs in 2026?

I'm doing my application prep but it's a little last minute and I feel overwhelmed. Do you have any tips for me to navigate this along with uni exams?
@Jessica Booker, could you share something that would help? Thanks :)

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
On the subject of references, are firms likely to contact me prior to checking work experiences? I used to volunteer at a branch of a large national charity, but was never formally registered on their systems until my final month. I am worried if they contact the charity directly, it will look like I didn't volunteer for the length of time I did. Whereas if the firm ask me for contact details, I can give them the email of my direct supervisor who can confirm?
Out of curiosity, do firms check volunteering in reference checks then?

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Also, is it normal to have not been given a seat in any of your three seat preferences for an upcoming vacation scheme, and instead one in an area of law you have shown no interest in, either in the application or the interview?

Pretty confused as to how the seat allocation has worked for this...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Do you provide information to background check companies or do they automatically check against your application form? I'm no longer working one of the roles but it would say on my written application that I am (as I stopped after)
    You generally have to provide the information although the reference check company will have your application to cross reference the information against.

Reactions: rosec

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    I thought maybe other people are interested. It’s basically a ranking based on a report on vault 100 law firms https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...8519/2022+LSCA+Law+Firm+Climate+Scorecard.pdf View attachment 4926
    Myself and a bunch of other students from different universities are currently working on the same report but for UK based firms. It won't be finished until April but I'd be more than happy to share it with the forum once it's done. If anyone else is interested in this sorta thing, feel free to shoot me a DM, we could always use more members! :)

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker, if a firm has two summer schemes, and you can only attend one of the two schemes, will firms ever be flexible on numbers on each scheme? I don’t want to give up an offer, but I also know I’m likely one of the last people to choose a scheme date as I had one of the last interviews, and there’s a chance my preference of scheme dates are all booked up now. TIA.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker, if a firm has two summer schemes, and you can only attend one of the two schemes, will firms ever be flexible on numbers on each scheme? I don’t want to give up an offer, but I also know I’m likely one of the last people to choose a scheme date as I had one of the last interviews, and there’s a chance my preference of scheme dates are all booked up now. TIA.
    Up to a certain point - they will have a capacity issue that will limit the number of people they switch across schemes.

It is something to discuss with them at the point of offer.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Up to a certain point - they will have a capacity issue that will limit the number of people they switch across schemes.

It is something to discuss with them at the point of offer.
    Ok, thank you. Do firms generally allocate dates as and when people sign their offers? I was told I’d get the paperwork a week after my verbal offer (so early next week), but I know others got offers over a month ago due to choosing earlier ACs.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Ok, thank you. Do firms generally allocate dates as and when people sign their offers? I was told I’d get the paperwork a week after my verbal offer (so early next week), but I know others got offers over a month ago due to choosing earlier ACs.
    Possibly, but there are other factors in play here. For instance, people declining offers can influence what schemes are available/under subscribed.

I wouldn't spend time trying to over analysing this - I don't think its productive. If you have been made a verbal offer, then you should call them to discuss which scheme you can join (assuming they haven't specified the dates to you in the verbal offer).

KBLAW

Star Member
    Feb 12, 2021
    Hi, I have some vac schemes coming up but grad rec from each firm keep asking me whether I have a TC offer with another firm (not whether I have accepted it, just whether I have the offer) I was wondering why grad rec ask this? Is it seen as a positive or a negative? @Jessica Booker
    Thanks for the help

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I have some vac schemes coming up but grad rec from each firm keep asking me whether I have a TC offer with another firm (not whether I have accepted it, just whether I have the offer) I was wondering why grad rec ask this? Is it seen as a positive or a negative? @Jessica Booker
    Thanks for the help
    Because they are trying to work out whether you will renege their VS offer or are likely to not accept a TC with them even if you are to join them on the vac scheme.

Its a double-edged sword - it could be seen positively that you have secured an offer elsewhere, but negatively that you may be less likely to accept a TC with the firm.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Possibly, but there are other factors in play here. For instance, people declining offers can influence what schemes are available/under subscribed.

I wouldn't spend time trying to over analysing this - I don't think its productive. If you have been made a verbal offer, then you should call them to discuss which scheme you can join (assuming they haven't specified the dates to you in the verbal offer).
    Thank you ☺️

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Has anyone who has had a feedback call post AC felt it was really positive?

Are they all supposed to be like that?

I didn't really learn anything new about what I could improve but was told I performed really well in all the exercises.

Reactions: aleo
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.