TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathans784

Feb 14, 2023
Hi there, Just wanted to know if I got offered a TC this summer for a September 2025 start date, could I start the SQE in September 2024 and complete it before September 2025? My background is that I have done a history degree followed by GDL and am now working full time. Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there, Just wanted to know if I got offered a TC this summer for a September 2025 start date, could I start the SQE in September 2024 and complete it before September 2025? My background is that I have done a history degree followed by GDL and am now working full time. Thanks
Possibly…

You could sit SQE1 in January 2025 and potentially register for SQE2 in April 2025 if you allowed to register for SQE2 without having your SQE1 results (someone else in the forum have said this is possible). At the moment it takes 4-5 months for you to get your SQE2 results, and so if you need to have confirmation you have passed SQE2 before starting your TC, the July SQE2 sitting would be too late.

The SRA’s website says you can’t book SQE2 until you have SQE1 results though, so if this is the case, you have to hope their is availability to register for SQE2 late on or that your firm will allow you to start your TC without your SQE2 results for the time lines to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: laurabeaumont

nathans784

Feb 14, 2023
Possibly…

You could sit SQE1 in January 2025 and potentially register for SQE2 in April 2025 if you allowed to register for SQE2 without having your SQE1 results (someone else in the forum have said this is possible). At the moment it takes 4-5 months for you to get your SQE2 results, and so if you need to have confirmation you have passed SQE2 before starting your TC, the July SQE2 sitting would be too late.

The SRA’s website says you can’t book SQE2 until you have SQE1 results though, so if this is the case, you have to hope their is availability to register for SQE2 late on or that your firm will allow you to start your TC without your SQE2 results for the time lines to work.

Hi Jessica. Many thanks for your response. I see, so really the SQE takes longer than the LPC as I believe if I started the LPC in September 2024 I would definitely have it finished and the results back by September 2025. If I got offered a TC this summer my ideal plan was to work for another year and then do the SQE then but seems from what you area saying I would basically need to start that SQE as soon as possible.

Is a January 2024 start date for the SQE a possibility? As in I could work till Jan, then sit SQE 1 in summer and then SQE 2 in early 2025 and have everything completed before the TC starts in Sept 2025.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica. Many thanks for your response. I see, so really the SQE takes longer than the LPC as I believe if I started the LPC in September 2024 I would definitely have it finished and the results back by September 2025. If I got offered a TC this summer my ideal plan was to work for another year and then do the SQE then but seems from what you area saying I would basically need to start that SQE as soon as possible.

Is a January 2024 start date for the SQE a possibility? As in I could work till Jan, then sit SQE 1 in summer and then SQE 2 in early 2025 and have everything completed before the TC starts in Sept 2025.
Not necessarily - it’s really just the delay in getting results means there is a time lag. The time needed to study can be a lot less than the LPC.

There are lots of SQE courses that you can start outside of September, so if you did want to start the SQE earlier, that could easily be an option and then you could sit SQE1 in July 2024 instead of January 2025.

wz_13

Distinguished Member
Jan 3, 2023
Hi! Just noticed that some of the Farrer TC app questions don't have word counts. Is this normal and also how many words should I aim for where its not specified if anyone has any advice?

nathans784

Feb 14, 2023
Possibly…

Ah okay that makes sense, thanks very much Jessica!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
For the NRF direct TC, which is for "finalists or graduates," can we apply if we are about to go into our final year this October
Typically I would only take this as people who are in that year of the course already. If applications are open in September/October though, then you could. You can always email/contact them to double check though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.