Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Free text/ interview question :)
Ok - then in this instance I would try to identify the variables you would need to consider and who you have got to support you.

Ultimately explaining you did not make an error is going to be important both short term and long term though - how you go about that is what you need to discuss here though.

EBC

Oct 24, 2022
Ok - then in this instance I would try to identify the variables you would need to consider and who you have got to support you.

Ultimately explaining you did not make an error is going to be important both short term and long term though - how you go about that is what you need to discuss here though.
Would it be acceptable to explain that you did not do anything wrong to the client? Or would you suggest speaking to a supervisor first?

kmo20

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2023
Hi, is it recommended to put upcoming work experience on an application if it is confirmed and happening in a few weeks time? I was wondering if this would benefit my application if the firm knows I will have had some legal experience.

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Hi, is it recommended to put upcoming work experience on an application if it is confirmed and happening in a few weeks time? I was wondering if this would benefit my application if the firm knows I will have had some legal experience.
    Congrats on securing some work experience! I don't recommend it, because I don't think it'll be beneficial – you haven't done the experience yet so there's nothing about it you can talk about.

Reactions: kmo20

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Congrats on securing some work experience! I don't recommend it, because I don't think it'll be beneficial – you haven't done the experience yet so there's nothing about it you can talk about.
    I think I am neutral on this subject. I remember I did put an upcoming vacation scheme on some applications as I believed it set me apart as a 'wanted' applicant. It depends on how relevant the work experience is and when you are going to complete it, however. If its really near and you may be interviewed/attend an AC after you have completed it, then I'd say include it. If it's further away in the future than that potential AC/interview, then I'd suggest not including it.

What do you think @Jessica Booker ?

Reactions: Jaysen and kmo20

kmo20

Legendary Member
    Jan 20, 2023
    I think I am neutral on this subject. I remember I did put an upcoming vacation scheme on some applications as I believed it set me apart as a 'wanted' applicant. It depends on how relevant the work experience is and when you are going to complete it, however. If its really near and you may be interviewed/attend an AC after you have completed it, then I'd say include it. If it's further away in the future than that potential AC/interview, then I'd suggest not including it.

What do you think @Jessica Booker ?
    Thank you so much, this is really helpful :)

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    This is slightly both unrelated and related to vacation schemes but i have finished my LLB however even though i have not had my official graduation ceremony yet, would it be appropriate to describe myself to be a law graduate?

Last edited:
    Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is slightly both unrelated and related to vacation schemes but i have finished my LLB however even though i have not had my official graduation ceremony yet, would it be appropriate to describe myself to be a law graduate?
    Have your grades been confirmed? I would wait until you have your degree certificate, even if this is before any official graduation ceremony. For instance, I got my degree confirmed at the end of July but my graduation as such was not until August/September.

However, I know things are a bit crazy with the university strikes and so there might be a level of discretion on this during this summer.

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Have your grades been confirmed? I would wait until you have your degree certificate, even if this is before any official graduation ceremony. For instance, I got my degree confirmed at the end of July but my graduation as such was not until August/September.

However, I know things are a bit crazy with the university strikes and so there might be a level of discretion on this during this summer.
    Thank you for replying! Okay, i believe there is a board meeting soon and so i will wait until i have my degree certificate. Thank you :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Can I apply to law firms in Edinburgh with an English law degree? @Jessica Booker
    Possibly not - the Scottish qualification system is different and you’d need to check what additional qualifications you would need of undertake to complete the Scottish qualification route.

However, I have heard of SQE Scottish TCs and in these instances, as you’d effectively be qualifying as a solicitor of England and Wales, but are based in Scotland, that could be feasible.

Reactions: DKLaw and Bubbles

DKLaw

Star Member
    Feb 8, 2023
    Possibly not - the Scottish qualification system is different and you’d need to check what additional qualifications you would need of undertake to complete the Scottish qualification route.

However, I have heard of SQE Scottish TCs and in these instances, as you’d effectively be qualifying as a solicitor of England and Wales, but are based in Scotland, that could be feasible.
    This is something I also want to explore, do you have any tips on how to find firms that do SQE TCs in Scotland @Jessica Booker? I have tried to research any such routes without much success, would it be fruitful to email firms individually? Thanks

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.