TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    “As many people as possible” is not the right approach here.

Firstly, you should only do this if you have the time first of all - I have seen too many vac schemers spend too much time away from their department meeting up with people and not impressing their department/people they are working with.

Secondly, there needs to be a purpose or reason for meeting the individuals you choose to meet with. Meeting with anyone/everyone is not appropriate. Only meet with people if you are not going to have direct experience in their department, if they work in an area that particularly interests you etc. If you don’t know what you would talk to them about, there is no reason to meet with them.

I would try to find a more deeper reason for connecting with the individual than just to hear about their experiences. Why are you choosing them to meet with rather than another person on the firm? That will ensure your reasoning for meeting them is more tailored and that you have meaningful questions to ask them.

In terms of asking them, I wouldn’t over think it - just keep it brief and polite but explain your reasoning for meeting them and what you would hope to get out of the coffee meeting. You can also explain your availability too so they can consider this against their own commitments
    That's great advice thank you! Would it be appropriate to send a Teams message/email to someone in a department I am interested in and asking them if they are free for a quick chat? Or is it better to ask them in person? Also, how do i approach them if i'm not working in the same department as them and have never come into contact with them? Is it not a good idea to ask someone for a chat if i've never met them before? Should i stick to just asking the people I have already met if i can chat to them about their experience?

Reactions: laurabeaumont

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    “As many people as possible” is not the right approach here.

Firstly, you should only do this if you have the time first of all - I have seen too many vac schemers spend too much time away from their department meeting up with people and not impressing their department/people they are working with.

Secondly, there needs to be a purpose or reason for meeting the individuals you choose to meet with. Meeting with anyone/everyone is not appropriate. Only meet with people if you are not going to have direct experience in their department, if they work in an area that particularly interests you etc. If you don’t know what you would talk to them about, there is no reason to meet with them.

I would try to find a more deeper reason for connecting with the individual than just to hear about their experiences. Why are you choosing them to meet with rather than another person on the firm? That will ensure your reasoning for meeting them is more tailored and that you have meaningful questions to ask them.

In terms of asking them, I wouldn’t over think it - just keep it brief and polite but explain your reasoning for meeting them and what you would hope to get out of the coffee meeting. You can also explain your availability too so they can consider this against their own commitments
    Just to add to this:

It is also important to have an appreciation for how busy each person/lawyer may be. Most will be very willing to talk to you about their work/practice area/the firm but you never know if they are currently going through a busy deal or period currently, particularly senior associates and partners.

So, if you have a specific question to ask someone and it can be adequately answered in an email, do. Equally, do not ask open-ended questions via email that might take a while to articulate on paper (and where a quick conversation over Zoom or in person might suffice).

Just something to keep in mind.

Hope this helps!

Laura :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    That's great advice thank you! Would it be appropriate to send a Teams message/email to someone in a department I am interested in and asking them if they are free for a quick chat? Or is it better to ask them in person? Also, how do i approach them if i'm not working in the same department as them and have never come into contact with them? Is it not a good idea to ask someone for a chat if i've never met them before? Should i stick to just asking the people I have already met if i can chat to them about their experience?
    Yes, this is an appropriate approach if you don’t have the chance to bump into them/cross paths in the office.

You can just contact them as you have suggested. You don’t have to be working directly with them.

You are introducing yourself - it’s very normal to have not met someone before asking them to meet!

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Is there anyone who has done an in-person Eversheds Sutherland vacation scheme who I could arrange a call with? I am absolutely sick to my stomach with nerves and I think it would really help to talk to someone who has done it so I at least know what to expect.

Reactions: Rachel.B

Law Student

Distinguished Member
    Dec 20, 2022
    Hi, I need help.

I have a vacation scheme coming up but on the last day of the VS, I have an assessment centre with another firm for a TC.

Which should I skip? The assessment centre or the last day of the VS. If I skip one day of the VS, should I tell them why?

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Is there anyone who has done an in-person Eversheds Sutherland vacation scheme who I could arrange a call with? I am absolutely sick to my stomach with nerves and I think it would really help to talk to someone who has done it so I at least know what to expect.
    I am a paralegal there and know a few people who have done VS at Eversheds. Do you have any in particular questions.

Reactions: hanz123

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I need help.

I have a vacation scheme coming up but on the last day of the VS, I have an assessment centre with another firm for a TC.

Which should I skip? The assessment centre or the last day of the VS. If I skip one day of the VS, should I tell them why?
    You will need approval from your vacation scheme firm to skip the last day. If you are going to miss a day you have to tell them why, and lying isn’t a good look in this industry.

Reactions: FM302989

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Hi, I need help.

Hey @Law Student,

Have you tried contacting the firm you will have the AC with and asking if you could change the date of the AC? It may not be an option but it is worth trying. I have found graduate recruitment was quite understanding in general in relation to other interviews/deadlines/VS. As @Jessica Booker said, however, do not lie to the firm you are currently completing the vacation scheme with!

Hope that helps :)

Laura

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    For law firms that have a 400 word or 500 word cover letter and it says to address your cover letter to Graduate Recruitment if you don't put Yours Sincerely is it bad because you are out of words. Also if you don't put dear GR. Is that going to look bad.

FM302989

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 16, 2020
    For law firms that have a 400 word or 500 word cover letter and it says to address your cover letter to Graduate Recruitment if you don't put Yours Sincerely is it bad because you are out of words. Also if you don't put dear GR. Is that going to look bad.
    If it's 'Dear Graduate Recruitment', then it surely isn't 'Yours sincerely' as you can't be sincere to someone whose name you don't know. 'Yours faithfully' maybe? Are you sure there isn't a named contact you can find? Lawcareers.net?

And it sounds like 4/5 words to add these so I'm sure you can find space to cut words from the body of your letter to add them. Presentation will be assessed just as much as the content

Last edited:
    Reactions: laurabeaumont

laubedusixjuin

Esteemed Member
    Oct 14, 2022
    If they tell you explicitly to address the letter to Graduate Recruitment and you don't address the letter to Graduate Recruitment, it will look like you can't read or follow instructions

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If they are explicitly asking for a cover letter, I would put an appropriate introduction and sign off - that only needs to be 7 words and I suspect you could say something more concisely elsewhere.

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    If it's 'Dear Graduate Recruitment', then it surely isn't 'Yours sincerely' as you can't be sincere to someone whose name you don't know. 'Yours faithfully' maybe? Are you sure there isn't a named contact you can find? Lawcareers.net?

And it sounds 4/5 words to add these so I'm sure you can find space to cut words from the body of your letter to add them. Presentation will be assessed just as much as the content
    Thank you very much for this and agree presentation is key here.
    If they tell you explicitly to address the letter to Graduate Recruitment and you don't address the letter to Graduate Recruitment, it will look like you can't read or follow instructions
    Thank you for this and yes I agree.
    If they are explicitly asking for a cover letter, I would put an appropriate introduction and sign off - that only needs to be 7 words and I suspect you could say something more concisely elsewhere.

Thank you for this and yes need to find places where to cut down words.

Thank you all for the responses.

EBC

Oct 24, 2022
    Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this situational based question as I am unsure of what the right answer would be ethically and morally:
    "You are working on a project with a client. The client sends an email to your team berating your poor attention to detail. You notice that it was the client who made the mistake. What do you do?"

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this situational based question as I am unsure of what the right answer would be ethically and morally:
    "You are working on a project with a client. The client sends an email to your team berating your poor attention to detail. You notice that it was the client who made the mistake. What do you do?"

Thanks.
    Multiple choice response or free text answer?

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 23, 2020

Thanks.
    Gosh that’s so difficult

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.