TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious_cat

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Mar 21, 2021
@Jessica Booker Hi! I have international qualifications (Indian CBSE Board) instead of A-Levels. Would that put me at a disadvantage while applying to first-year schemes as an incoming first-year law student at a UK Uni?
Hello, I did ICSE board and law firms do not mind as long as you have achieved the equivalent grade. Do let me know if you need any help with applications 😁

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi! I have international qualifications (Indian CBSE Board) instead of A-Levels. Would that put me at a disadvantage while applying to first-year schemes as an incoming first-year law student at a UK Uni?
No - it’s quite common to see these grades in applications. Many recruiters know what they are, and those that don’t can find quick comparisons to work out what they are roughly equivalent to in terms of A-levels. Some candidates also provide a rough calculation themselves as to what it is equivalent to (if they have a reliable source for this info).

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021
    Are Forage courses helpful in preparing for Vacation Schemes? I have been doing them to prepare for my VS in a few weeks, but I don't know if they are helpful or not. Are the tasks in Forage schemes similar to the tasks I would be given in a VS? Some of the tasks I have done in Forage are legal research, writing memos, interpreting contracts. Are these the sorts of things I will be doing in the VS? I really don't know what to expect in my VS and am SO NERVOUS. What is the best way to prepare???

Reactions: Ali A

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Are Forage courses helpful in preparing for Vacation Schemes? I have been doing them to prepare for my VS in a few weeks, but I don't know if they are helpful or not. Are the tasks in Forage schemes similar to the tasks I would be given in a VS? Some of the tasks I have done in Forage are legal research, writing memos, interpreting contracts. Are these the sorts of things I will be doing in the VS? I really don't know what to expect in my VS and am SO NERVOUS. What is the best way to prepare???
    This will definitely help IMO. Writing memos, reading contracts and legal research are tasks that you may be asked to complete on the VS. I know certain firms even use Forage to set the tasks to complete. However, I would not overwhelm myself and try completing as many as possible.

Reactions: confusedlawstudent

BeGrateful.101

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 1, 2021
    Hi Guys, I have been a longstanding member of TCLA. I've faced countless of rejections after rejections. I must say this wouldn't have been possible without the support and encouragement of all of you guys. I remember posting about how hopeless and lost I felt about my training contract journey. So many of you guys messaged me and kept me motivated. Thanks to each one of you. I have now secured my training contract following my Spring vacation scheme. Thanks @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for everything you do for us, aspiring solicitors :)

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Hi Guys, I have been a longstanding member of TCLA. I've faced countless of rejections after rejections. I must say this wouldn't have been possible without the support and encouragement of all of you guys. I remember posting about how hopeless and lost I felt about my training contract journey. So many of you guys messaged me and kept me motivated. Thanks to each one of you. I have now secured my training contract following my Spring vacation scheme. Thanks @Jaysen and @Jessica Booker for everything you do for us, aspiring solicitors :)
    Congrats champ!

• 🤝
    Reactions: BeGrateful.101

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    This is amazing news - congratulations!!

Season 1 Applause GIF by America's Got Talent

• 🤝

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Congratulations, this is very inspiring to hear!

• 🤝

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    My first vac scheme is coming up for T&H and I'm so nervous about converting it. I would greatly appreciate anyone's advice either on here or via DM. Thank you 🙏🏼🙏🏼
    Hey @LS_1998 ,

The following things really helped me during my VS, I hope they can help you out too:
    • Keep a diary throughout the whole VS with notes of my conversations with lawyers; every talk was given by the firm; my experiences with the work; keeping a note of how I felt I was progressing and what I was learning at the end of each day
    • Actively reaching out to other lawyers (perhaps in areas of particular interest) to have coffee chats with them or even just simply emailing to ask particular questions (lawyers are busy people). By the time of your exit interview, you should have a complete view of the firm and how it fits against your career goals/aims and your skillset. Ideally, you shouldn't have any outstanding questions. That way, when you are asked 'Why X firm' you can offer a tailored answer.
    • Find out where the firm's areas of growth (from any talks or coffee chats) and work out whether they align with your career interests
    • Appearances are key. Make sure you are respectful and engaged in every conversation/activity. Good manners may seem like an obvious trait to demonstrate but you would be surprised how negatively impactful even one slight slip in manners or tone or not paying attention can be. The firm is putting in a huge amount of effort into ensuring your VS is a fruitful experience for everyone involved, make sure your conduct on the VS simply reflects your respect for that fact and your desire to learn :))
    • Put your absolute all into the work they give you. Of course, ask questions when needed, but also make sure you try to answer them yourself first via any research channels. Practice researching if you haven't already - universities often provide Westlaw and Lexis Nexis introductions (you can access Westlaw and Lexis Nexis via some university services too, have a play around and become accustomed to those sites).
    • Group exercises: Put your absolute all into the group exercise (aligning with the comments in the above post I made). Spend ample time preparing for it too! The key word here is, of course, teamwork. You can demonstrate and achieve this skill in numerous ways. First, depending on the exercise, communicate with your team members both before and, often during, the exercise in hand. For example, in a negotiation, have you adequately delegated each role and made sure everyone is saying something? Never bombard the exercise with only your ideas - give your peers space to speak - but equally never stay too quiet because, well, your ideas matter too and you need to demonstrate your creativity in response to the assessors. Second, the way you communicate is important. In the case of a negotiation, being adequately deferential to all your peers is necessary - indeed, you are trying to obtain a compromise which requires not only persuasiveness to get your client's side over but also ample respect for the other side too to find that middle ground. Lastly, identifying the straightforward will be as important as adding a flare of creativity to your answers which you should communicate - even if you may think you are wrong - at the appropriate stage i.e. during your delegated time to speak or during tough stages of negotiation, for example. As you can see your style of communication will be important in your demonstration of teamwork, so practising through debating, mooting or other advocacy-based exercises can be helpful or even just watch advocacy in action.
    Reply on this thread if you have any further questions!

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Anyone know how you can get cheap accommodation for a vacation scheme in London over the summer?
    I thought you could stay in Uni accommodation that isn't being used. How do you get that?

Agree with @Jessica Booker - university accommodation is the best shout and you can book it via this website https://www.universityrooms.com/en-GB/city/london/home/

I was at International Hall during my time at UCL (in Bloomsbury) and that is a great hall with good facilities in a lovely (and very central) area.

Reactions: lawapplicant
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.