Blair.11

Standard Member
Feb 22, 2019
Hi guys,

I’m going to be starting my LPC next year. I took a year out of graduation to gain some work experience. However, now I’m curious if it would make sense to apply for a vacation scheme first then a training contract for the next intake instead of this current intake.

My work experience is outside of the UK but in an international firm and I’m an international student

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi guys,

I’m going to be starting my LPC next year. I took a year out of graduation to gain some work experience. However, now I’m curious if it would make sense to apply for a vacation scheme first then a training contract for the next intake instead of this current intake.

My work experience is outside of the UK but in an international firm and I’m an international student

Do you need a work permit? If so, a vac scheme will be more tricky if you haven’t got the right to work in the UK. Most firms won’t apply for a visa on your behalf for such a short scheme, so I’d go directly for a TC.

Taking a gap between finishing your LPC and TC will also complicate work visa processes and is typically avoided, so best to avoid this as an applicant too.

Obviously if you don’t need a work permit, then it’s up to you either way but I think most people would question why you are trying to delay the process by going for a later intake when you could start earlier.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.