Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica

If an interviewer asks a long question, does it look good or bad to write details down of the question and bullet-point things I want to cover in my answer before speaking?

Thank you!

Depends how long you take and whether the answer needs to be long too.

Although it is not an issue to do so, I’d honestly try to avoid it if it’s going to take more than 10 seconds. Exceptions are if you are asked to “calculate” something, then it is reasonable to do so.

Another option is to repeat the question back to the interviewer in a more condensed format, or ask for clarity on the question.

Reactions: 123454321

Giovanni Figa

Oct 1, 2019
1) Typically reference checks are limited to 3 or 5 years depending on the company policy. They will need to seek any employment you’ve put on your CV, including voluntary work if it is for significant periods of time.

2) No

3) it’s typically just dates and job title as it’s practically impossible to get detail of work you have done from formal references. You may have to provide a character reference though, so getting someone who can vouch for this stepping up (if you are asked) is probably a good idea

Thanks Jessica

Young Kim

Oct 28, 2019
Dear Jessica

I was an international student at top 5 RG uni studying LLB. I got 2:1 (mid 2:1, around 64 with some 2:2 modules) as my final grade. I finished LPC with commendation and done a Vac Scheme with PwC legal. I was not offered TC. Because I cannot stay in the UK anymore, I came back to my home country and studied for NY Bar. I passed the Bar exam at one sitting this Feb and became NY lawyer this August.

I am currently preparing for the QLTS route (I got an exemption for part 1), but I am still considering TC route as I found out that many firms prefer to have NQs who gained some experience with TC .

Do you have any suggestions for me at this moment? I am planning on applying for the US firms or UK firms with links to the US (NY especially).

What would be your idea for someone who has gone through the QLTS route with no legal experience except some legal internships?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Dear Jessica

I was an international student at top 5 RG uni studying LLB. I got 2:1 (mid 2:1, around 64 with some 2:2 modules) as my final grade. I finished LPC with commendation and done a Vac Scheme with PwC legal. I was not offered TC. Because I cannot stay in the UK anymore, I came back to my home country and studied for NY Bar. I passed the Bar exam at one sitting this Feb and became NY lawyer this August.

I am currently preparing for the QLTS route (I got an exemption for part 1), but I am still considering TC route as I found out that many firms prefer to have NQs who gained some experience with TC .

Do you have any suggestions for me at this moment? I am planning on applying for the US firms or UK firms with links to the US (NY especially).

What would be your idea for someone who has gone through the QLTS route with no legal experience except some legal internships?

Ok this is going to be tricky for a number of reasons:

1) assuming you need a work permit for the UK, this will be trickier to get if you are not coming from a UK student visa

2) being qualified means very little if you have not got comparable work experience.

3) most firms are recruiting 2-3 years in advance. For someone like yourself, the advice would be to get experience in the jurisdiction your are qualified in during that 2-3 years, and then come across as an experienced NQ. Otherwise what else would you do between now and the start date, if most firms are now recruiting for their 2022 intakes?

Would be good to get your thoughts on this above comments first before I give you more direction.

hashneevvora

Premium Member
Dec 26, 2018
Hello Jessica,
I have quick question, Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations etc. in terms of answering this question would you do in detail or list?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello Jessica,
I have quick question, Please use the space below to provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations etc. in terms of answering this question would you do in detail or list?

Thanks

Definitely no detail needed here - just the date and title of the event will be sufficient.

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Hi @Jessica Booker i just did a WG test for a firm who don’t give you a benchmark pass email. I would quite like to see my report to get a gauge for how I did and also to see where I need to improve going forwards. Do you think it would be ok to email a report request or might it make me look a bit pushy?
I just really want a bit of peace of mind in seeing my score :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker i just did a WG test for a firm who don’t give you a benchmark pass email. I would quite like to see my report to get a gauge for how I did and also to see where I need to improve going forwards. Do you think it would be ok to email a report request or might it make me look a bit pushy?
I just really want a bit of peace of mind in seeing my score :)

You don’t always get a report from a WG.

You can ask for it, but the firm might not have one to provide to you.

Reactions: Alice G

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jessica!

The other thing to mention is that even if they do have a report, they might not provide it to you until more people have completed the assessment.

there is no harm in asking for it (whether that is a report or your percentile score) though.

Reactions: Alice G

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

Just wondering, would you encourage spelling out explicitly the skills learnt/utilised in the work experience sections? Or should I demonstrate by detailing specific tasks and the steps I took to complete certain responsibilities - and therefore Graduate Recruitment would be able to infer without necessarily for me to spell them out.

Because I hear differing views all the time so I thought would be good to clarify. Thank you so much Jessica!! :):)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Just wondering, would you encourage spelling out explicitly the skills learnt/utilised in the work experience sections? Or should I demonstrate by detailing specific tasks and the steps I took to complete certain responsibilities - and therefore Graduate Recruitment would be able to infer without necessarily for me to spell them out.

Because I hear differing views all the time so I thought would be good to clarify. Thank you so much Jessica!! :):)

this is a preference thing - you will find different people telling you different things.

But for me, unless the firm tells you to do it, it is really unnecessary. It’s only when it isn’t obvious/self explanatory, that a attribute or skill needs to be explained.

Typically people are claiming the same attributes/skills - team working, time management, dealing with pressure, attention to detail, analytical skills, verbal or written communication skills - they are more often than not really self explanatory. I find it a complete waste of word count (and generally really annoying).

• 🏆
    Reactions: Jaysen, R203 and Abstruser

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Thank you so much Jessica!

Also, do you have any advice in answer this question? I am afraid of repeating things in my work experience section. Also, I am pretty confused as to what kind of statements should I lead with.

Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd? (250 words)

Thank you!! :):)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you so much Jessica!

Also, do you have any advice in answer this question? I am afraid of repeating things in my work experience section. Also, I am pretty confused as to what kind of statements should I lead with.

Please detail below any further information that you would like us to consider when reviewing your application in the light of the many others we receive? What makes you stand out from the crowd? (250 words)

Thank you!! :):)

Definitely avoid repeating detail - this is not what the question is asking.

This is two opportunities:

1) to detail something new that hasn’t fitted into any previous questions

2) your chance to do a written elevator pitch

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Definitely avoid repeating detail - this is not what the question is asking.

This is two opportunities:

1) to detail something new that hasn’t fitted into any previous questions

2) your chance to do a written elevator pitch

Thank you!!

Would I have to link what I have said back to the firm? Like linking the pitch to the firm?

:)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you!!

Would I have to link what I have said back to the firm? Like linking the pitch to the firm?

:)

not necessarily, although if you feel there is anything about you personally that really matches the firm, then probably a good place to mention it.

• 🏆
    Reactions: R203

Joe R

Standard Member
    Dec 3, 2018
    Hi Jessica,I have been rejected from a couple of MC firm open days but received emails that seemed slightly strange or encouraging; i was just wondering if they were likely to be generic and therefore not worth worrying about ?

1. 'I We understand that this may be disappointing however your application was strong and we would encourage you to apply for one of our schemes should you remain interested. Given that you have already passed the Watson Glaser test you will not need to complete it again.'

2.' Due to the high level of interest we are sorry to inform you that we cannot, on this occasion, invite you through to the Open Day, given your level of experience we think that you may be better suited to apply for one of our other programmes.' (not sure what this means given I didn't think i had a lot of experience)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,I have been rejected from a couple of MC firm open days but received emails that seemed slightly strange or encouraging; i was just wondering if they were likely to be generic and therefore not worth worrying about ?

1. 'I We understand that this may be disappointing however your application was strong and we would encourage you to apply for one of our schemes should you remain interested. Given that you have already passed the Watson Glaser test you will not need to complete it again.'

2.' Due to the high level of interest we are sorry to inform you that we cannot, on this occasion, invite you through to the Open Day, given your level of experience we think that you may be better suited to apply for one of our other programmes.' (not sure what this means given I didn't think i had a lot of experience)

1) Generic response.

2) doesn’t think you will benefit from the open day, probably because you have significant legal work experience/other open days that will supersede the open day they are offering. Basically saying you won’t benefit from an open day.

But either way, nothing to worry about and if you want to apply for other opportunities you should.

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica, just want to clarify the idea of rolling basis. :)

What personal deadlines would you suggest so as to not be disadvantaged by being "late" due to spaces being filled out early. Because many firms operate on this basis and I wouldn't want to rush, but I won't also submit close to deadlines as well. Just wondering if one month away from the deadline seems too late?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, just want to clarify the idea of rolling basis. :)

What personal deadlines would you suggest so as to not be disadvantaged by being "late" due to spaces being filled out early. Because many firms operate on this basis and I wouldn't want to rush, but I won't also submit close to deadlines as well. Just wondering if one month away from the deadline seems too late?

My advice on this is try to apply in the first two thirds of the application window. You’ll probably be ahead of two-thirds of applicants.

Most applications are received in the last week (or days or hours) of the deadline

• ℹ️
    Reactions: wwood and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.