Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Discussion in 'Applications Discussion' started by Jaysen, Aug 1, 2019.

1. Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker Legendary Member
    Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    not necessarily, although if you feel there is anything about you personally that really matches the firm, then probably a good place to mention it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Joe R

Joe R New Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica,I have been rejected from a couple of MC firm open days but received emails that seemed slightly strange or encouraging; i was just wondering if they were likely to be generic and therefore not worth worrying about ?

1. 'I We understand that this may be disappointing however your application was strong and we would encourage you to apply for one of our schemes should you remain interested. Given that you have already passed the Watson Glaser test you will not need to complete it again.'

2.' Due to the high level of interest we are sorry to inform you that we cannot, on this occasion, invite you through to the Open Day, given your level of experience we think that you may be better suited to apply for one of our other programmes.' (not sure what this means given I didn't think i had a lot of experience)

3. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    1) Generic response.

2) doesn’t think you will benefit from the open day, probably because you have significant legal work experience/other open days that will supersede the open day they are offering. Basically saying you won’t benefit from an open day.

But either way, nothing to worry about and if you want to apply for other opportunities you should.

4. Sherard

Sherard Active Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica, just want to clarify the idea of rolling basis. :)

What personal deadlines would you suggest so as to not be disadvantaged by being "late" due to spaces being filled out early. Because many firms operate on this basis and I wouldn't want to rush, but I won't also submit close to deadlines as well. Just wondering if one month away from the deadline seems too late?

5. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    My advice on this is try to apply in the first two thirds of the application window. You’ll probably be ahead of two-thirds of applicants.

Most applications are received in the last week (or days or hours) of the deadline

• Like Like x 1
  6. Giovanni Figa

Giovanni Figa Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica

For firms that recruit their trainees two years in advance am I correct in assuming the referencing will take place at the start of that period, once the offer and acceptance has taken place, rather than towards the end just before the actual training contract is about to commence?

Giovanni

7. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Not necessarily. Most likely to happen about 3-4 months before joining.

depends on what you are doing though - some firms may do the referencing earlier if they are putting you through the LPC and therefore know what you are committed to during that time.

8. Giovanni Figa

Giovanni Figa Standard Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks Jessica

9. ELA

ELA Valued Member
    Premium Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica,

If at during a video interview, a question was asked which was also part of the written application (e.g. 'Why commercial law?' or 'Why us?'), is it okay to focus on the same ideas you included in your written application? It seems logical, insofar as those were my genuine reasons, but at the same time, I worry about not adding anything new, if that makes sense.

Thanks,
    Elise

10. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Hi everyone,

Anyone who has submitted an application for the crash course should have just received a link to Doodle.

The link will provide you with various time slots for us to arrange a call/meeting to discuss your application feedback - there are 15 minute slots, so please book in at a time that suits you. Times start from tomorrow morning, running all day tomorrow, Saturday afternoon and all day Sunday.

I will be at the course from around 2.45pm, so hope to meet you all, although know it will be a busy afternoon!

Please let me know if you haven't received the link to the Doodle platform.

Jess

11. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    I think it is important to bring more depth to your answers than you may have presented on your application form. It seeming like it is literally word for word might seem more that is too rehearsed/not as genuine.

The person reviewing your video interview may not have your application in front of them though - so its difficult to know how important this is/isn't.

12. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Please can I also ask a BIG favour.

I have been getting more private messages of late, and although I am more than happy to answer them, I often feel the questions you are asking will benefit other members if they saw the answers.

If your matter is more personal, e.g. you want to talk about your individual circumstances, then it makes sense to PM me with the detail. But if your question is more generic, and could apply to other people, please could you post in this thread. Otherwise, please feel free to tag me in other threads if that is easier (it is really easy to do this - just type @Jess and my name will pop up)

I think this approach will benefit everyone; it also helps me not having to repeat things to people too!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    I would echo this. Unfortunately I receive too many PMs that it's difficult for me to respond to them all. If it's a generic question, please post in the forum and tag me. If it's something personal or can't be answered in the forums, it would be great if you can email admin@thecorporatelawacademy.com.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Soliha

Soliha Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Jessica, I am sorry if this question has been already asked, but I could not find it in the thread.
    'Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements'-no word limit

1. Should I just include the dates and names of extra-curricular activities? How detailed do they need to be?
    2. Is it fine to give the answers in bullet points?
    3. How do the positions of responsibility differ from extra curricular activities?

#394 Soliha, Nov 8, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  15. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    1) yes being specific with names and dates is helpful in most instances. Otherwise saying things like “for 3 years” gives a sense of how long you did something for.

2) yes - should be fine

3) sometimes they are the same thing.

Extra curricular tends to be the things attached to your school/college/university. PoR can be things outside of that environment (eg volunteering in your local community instead). PoR also tends to be something where you have had to turn up regularly - is if you didn’t, you’d be letting people down (eg you are taking on responsibility and are therefore accountable). Extra curricular can be less demanding - and can be things like individual pursuits too (eg you like pursuing a hobby, but you are never accountable for it).

• Like Like x 1
  16. tractor12

tractor12 Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hey Jess, so I was wondering what sort of things you read on applications that tells you that the candidate has done extensive research on the firm, rather than just fact listing?

Also on a cover letter structured with why commercial law/why the firm/why you, is it okay to leave the first and third parts largely untouched when using it for other firms?

17. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    I don’t need to know a candidate has done extensive research. An application form is about the person not the firm.

Fact listing is not telling me anything about the applicant. It’s just telling me things about the firm that I already know (or don’t need to know). The difference between fact listing and a good application is linking it back to you - why is this relevant to you, why is it important to you etc.

I wouldn’t say “untouched” - parts of the why you may need to be modified slightly to align to what the firm is particularly recruiting. I don’t think it should be “why commercial law” though, I say it should be “why the opportunity”, although in part that will cover commercial law.

18. tractor12

tractor12 Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks Jess! I was also wondering the approximate ratios of each stage. E.g. the percentage of applications getting to the second stage, video interview to assessment centre, AC to VS etc

19. Olivia178

Olivia178 Star Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi @Jessica Booker, I was just wondering whether there are any questions that grad rec are asked during an interview that you get really bored of hearing? Aside from those to which answers could have been found elsewhere. Thanks!

20. Jessica Booker

Graduate Recruitment

TCLA Credits:
    Varies massively, from firm to firm, from application cycle to application cycle, to vacancy to vacancy. I have had the same vacancy see 80% drop in applications, just because the dates clashed with other firms' schemes. An 80% of applications skews your ratios massively. Don't worry about how many people are getting through to what stage.

Firms will typically bring in somewhere from 2.5-4 x the number of candidates to final stage as they have vacancies though. That will factor in people declining offers/people no-showing at interviews etc too though.

Non-completion rates for tests and video interviews also makes ratios brought through to those stages not important.

#400 Jessica Booker, Nov 10, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1