Ask A Graduate Recruiter Anything!

Sergiulix

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
They could have not looked at any post final assessment decisions until after the scheme. It sounds like they just assessed someone ahead of the scheme ending. That doesn’t mean they made any decisions at that time.

The two decisions (who to assess and then who to offer) can be very separate processes.

But agree that this is by no means ideal and awkward. I don’t think there was any “bad faith” to it though

I agree. Thanks for your opinion.

On an unrelated note, I am currently studying for the New York Bar. I wanted to ask you whether it is worth mentioning it in my applications. I have heard mixed opinions about doing the NY Bar. To some it seems like a good idea to add something different on your CV, to others it seems quite useless considering most firms will still need you to go through the same process as any other trainee, and thus it might not be worth it financially.

I decided to do it as I do believe it might help me in the future. In any case, is there a way in which I could put this experience in a good light? The partner at the firm I did my VS at told me that some interviewers might look at that and think that it’s a sign that I am not ‘all in’ on a career in the City. However, given that the experience is anyways meant for the London market (the chances of getting an NY legal job are very slim), I think there are ways to see it as a good experience.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica!

Would it be okay for me to, in cover letters, explain what got me into wanting to pursue a legal career, and thereafter, a commercial legal career? In like a gradual process rather than a sudden interest for commercial law?

Thank you so much!! :)

as long as it is concise and isn’t too drawn out, yes that’s fine.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I agree. Thanks for your opinion.

On an unrelated note, I am currently studying for the New York Bar. I wanted to ask you whether it is worth mentioning it in my applications. I have heard mixed opinions about doing the NY Bar. To some it seems like a good idea to add something different on your CV, to others it seems quite useless considering most firms will still need you to go through the same process as any other trainee, and thus it might not be worth it financially.

I decided to do it as I do believe it might help me in the future. In any case, is there a way in which I could put this experience in a good light? The partner at the firm I did my VS at told me that some interviewers might look at that and think that it’s a sign that I am not ‘all in’ on a career in the City. However, given that the experience is anyways meant for the London market (the chances of getting an NY legal job are very slim), I think there are ways to see it as a good experience.

A few questions:

did you do your degree in the UK?
Have you started your legal education (eg GDL/LPC)?
Do you require a work permit?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
1. Yes, I finished my LLB in the UK.
2. I have not started my LPC, choosing to do this instead. I am currently applying to jobs though.
3. I am a European citizen so, at least for now, I do not require a work permit.

Ok - this is not so much of an issue, although the question will be what you will do with your time out.

Especially with the move to the SQE, you are a prime candidate to do the SQE rather than the LPC.

I’d probably mention it then unless it’s to a firm with no or very little US presence.

IntrepidL

Legendary Member
Jul 29, 2018
Hi Jessica, I am struggling with certain competency-based questions, and was wondering whether you might have any tips on what would be the best way to answer them? The questions are "how did you motivate your team as this is a skill most lawyers need?" and "has there ever been a time when you had to change someone else's opinion?"

Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, I am struggling with certain competency-based questions, and was wondering whether you might have any tips on what would be the best way to answer them? The questions are "how did you motivate your team as this is a skill most lawyers need?" and "has there ever been a time when you had to change someone else's opinion?"

Thank you so much!

Motivation:

think about a team that wasn’t working cohesively. How did you change this to ensure everyone worked together successfully but also made the process more enjoyable/less painful

Influence:

doesn’t really matter what the decision was, but explain any situation when someone (or more than one person) has been opposed to your thinking, but you have successfully changed their mind so it was more aligned to you. Talk about how you influenced those people

6Demetris

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
Hello. I wanted to ask whether it is better to address my cover letter to Dear Sir/Madam, or to Dear Graduate Recruitment team, when the application form does not mention anything regarding that.

Thank you in advance,

Demetris

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello. I wanted to ask whether it is better to address my cover letter to Dear Sir/Madam, or to Dear Graduate Recruitment team, when the application form does not mention anything regarding that.

Thank you in advance,

Demetris

If you can, find a name of the person who heads up the team.

If you can’t find anything, then I would go with Dear Graduate Recruitment

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you for you response. Well, what if I can find the head of the team but I am not sure whether that person would actually read it. Is it still better to go with the person's name?

that’s fine. Your letter might not even be read by the graduate recruitment team, yet that’s deemed acceptable to address it to

Shane

Distinguished Member
Jul 22, 2018
Hi Jessica,

Since A&O has been recruiting on a rolling basis since August and the deadline is the 22nd of December , is it a bit late to apply now ? Also, would it make a difference which start date I apply for i.e. will the 2023 applications be reviewed after 2021 and 2022 ?

Thank you

Shane

Distinguished Member
Jul 22, 2018
I’m also not that sure how to interpret this question on the Vinson & Elkins application form.

“Please give details of any plans you have for a gap year and why do you propose to take one (if at all)”

If you don’t plan on taking a gap year, do you still need to answer the question, or do you have to justify why you don’t plan on taking one ?
Not really sure what they are looking out for in this q.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Since A&O has been recruiting on a rolling basis since August and the deadline is the 22nd of December , is it a bit late to apply now ? Also, would it make a difference which start date I apply for i.e. will the 2023 applications be reviewed after 2021 and 2022 ?

Thank you

I can’t believe they are now recruiting 4 years in advance - that’s crazy!! That must mean they are offering first years TCs

I doubt it makes any difference to the way applications are screened though, so don’t try to “game” the system - just apply to the intake that’s most suitable for you given your eligibility and want for a start date (eg if you want time out).

If it was me, I’d try to get my application in by the end of this month. You’ll still be ahead of a significant proportion of people who apply much closer to the deadline

6Demetris

Star Member
Sep 8, 2019
I’m also not that sure how to interpret this question on the Vinson & Elkins application form.

“Please give details of any plans you have for a gap year and why do you propose to take one (if at all)”

If you don’t plan on taking a gap year, do you still need to answer the question, or do you have to justify why you don’t plan on taking one ?
I am also confused with that question. For example, if I finish my LPC in September 2021 and they recruit on September 2022, is that a gap year? Potentially yes, but if I intend to do a postgraduate degree, or work in another sector for a year until 2022, is that still considered a 'gap year'?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

given the time leg in recruitment and start dates, it is not uncommon for people to have time out at some point between graduating and starting a TC.

it is just working out whether you are one of those people and what your provisional plans.

If you haven’t got any time out (eg you are committed to studies until 2021 and then go straight into the SQE/LPC), then just say thy at and explain why you are happy to do that.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am also confused with that question. For example, if I finish my LPC in September 2021 and they recruit on September 2022, is that a gap year? Potentially yes, but if I intend to do a postgraduate degree, or work in another sector for a year until 2022, is that still considered a 'gap year'?

yes - that is a gap year. You don’t have to take it as a “gap year abroad”, it is just time out before the TC.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.