Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I was wondering if you had any advice on answering "tell me about a time where you have shown your dedication to the law?"

Just avoid cliches like reading books or dedication to TV shows/films. Otherwise it’s such an individual answer, it’s quite difficult to give advice on

Sergiulix

Star Member
Oct 27, 2019
Hi Jessica,

In the Clifford Chance application question:
“You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you. This should include your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of.”

I understand that academic achievements and work experience should be generally excluded from the section. However, if the most important achievement is for me something related to one of the two areas, should I write about it? Or should I think of something else?

Also, what do you think in general about stating that your biggest achievement is something to do with academics (high marks/ greatly improving your results throughout university)? Is it too common and simplistic?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

In the Clifford Chance application question:
“You have told us about your academic achievements and work experience and now, in no more than 600 words, we are keen to hear more about you. This should include your extra-curricular activities, positions of responsibility and an achievement of importance which you are most proud of.”

I understand that academic achievements and work experience should be generally excluded from the section. However, if the most important achievement is for me something related to one of the two areas, should I write about it? Or should I think of something else?

Also, what do you think in general about stating that your biggest achievement is something to do with academics (high marks/ greatly improving your results throughout university)? Is it too common and simplistic?

the important achievement is fine to mention if work/academic. It’s just that this section is all about others things you have done outside of work and study. Make sure it covers both parts.

Unless there is something spectacular about your academic achievements (eg getting the highest mark whilst having other significant commitments or obstacles), I’d personally avoid it.

Kelvin

Apr 14, 2019
Hi Jessica, thanks for all the help/advice you've given so far - building up a really useful thread of info!

My questions concern transferring to a foreign office: when should/can this be done, and what are the main factors that will determine whether your request is permitted (i.e. prior secondment at that location, but assuming English-speaking role)?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, thanks for all the help/advice you've given so far - building up a really useful thread of info!

My questions concern transferring to a foreign office: when should/can this be done, and what are the main factors that will determine whether your request is permitted (i.e. prior secondment at that location, but assuming English-speaking role)?

depends on your experience and skill set. If you haven’t got the local language, or your experience is heavily in an area not practiced in that location, it’s probably less likely to ever happen, let alone when.

Think it’s most likely between 2-7 years though. How quickly will depend on growth of the other office, retention of staff, experience with cross jurisdictional clients, how long the “transfer” is, budgets etc.

reality is it could be as early as 12 months into your UK TC. At the other end of the spectrum, it could never happen.

Reactions: Kelvin

Joshua Patterson

Nov 20, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I am a third-year student at the University of Portsmouth. My A-level grades are BCC with mitigating circumstances. I have achieved an average of 75% throughout my law degree, so far. I have completed work experience in a number of City firms, such as Reed Smith and White & case.

I have asked a number of people but have never felt like I have been given a straight-up answer. Would completing an LLM at a top university, such as Kings, improve the chances of being offered a TC at a City firm? I know several people with A-level grades similar to mine that work for firms such as Mayer Brown but they worked in another industry for a year or so before being offered a TC.

Many thanks in advance

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

I am a third-year student at the University of Portsmouth. My A-level grades are BCC with mitigating circumstances. I have achieved an average of 75% throughout my law degree, so far. I have completed work experience in a number of City firms, such as Reed Smith and White & case.

I have asked a number of people but have never felt like I have been given a straight-up answer. Would completing an LLM at a top university, such as Kings, improve the chances of being offered a TC at a City firm? I know several people with A-level grades similar to mine that work for firms such as Mayer Brown but they worked in another industry for a year or so before being offered a TC.

Many thanks in advance

sorry this may seem like a non straight answer, but it’s as straight as I can put it.

not necessarily.

there is an assumption that the Masters will make people look past the A-level grades. I think in most cases it won’t, because either

1) your application is actually strong enough as it is (you’ve got Ex Circs)

2) or if your application isn’t strong enough (not just because of your grades), it isn’t going to be sorted by you doing a masters

where a masters can help? it gives you an extra year to build out your CV, and your application - some people benefit from that, not because of the Masters, but more because they get a year to develop their skills and knowledge further

Sam1912

Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Firstly, I have to say what a great idea this thread is! So beyond helpful!

I have a question about the Skadden open day application. The application has an opportunity to upload a cover letter - I'm wondering how important a cover letter is in the context of an open day application? Should it be detailed and tailored to the firm or short and high-level (i.e. why commercial law etc)?

Many thanks,
Sam

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica,

Firstly, I have to say what a great idea this thread is! So beyond helpful!

I have a question about the Skadden open day application. The application has an opportunity to upload a cover letter - I'm wondering how important a cover letter is in the context of an open day application? Should it be detailed and tailored to the firm or short and high-level (i.e. why commercial law etc)?

Many thanks,
Sam

It will be vital if they are asking for it!

Cover letter for an open day should focus on why the firm, why commercial law and what you hope to get out of the opportunity (not necessarily in that order).

AMLaw

Standard Member
Jul 25, 2019
Hi Jessica, one of the application forms asks:
'What do you consider to be the key attributes of a lawyer in business? What kind of qualities and expertise do you think they should have? Can you give us an example of where you have demonstrated these qualities?'

Re the 'lawyer in business', do you take this to mean the role of a lawyer in general or specifically relating to business law?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi Jessica, one of the application forms asks:
'What do you consider to be the key attributes of a lawyer in business? What kind of qualities and expertise do you think they should have? Can you give us an example of where you have demonstrated these qualities?'

Re the 'lawyer in business', do you take this to mean the role of a lawyer in general or specifically relating to business law?

I would take this as a lawyer who has to work with businesses, not business law specifically

Reactions: AMLaw and Alice G

R203

Legendary Member
  • Dec 14, 2018
    Hi Jessica!

I have a quick question.

If I have received a Watson Glaser link on 11th Nov at 9am, with the email stating "Please complete the assessment within 2 weeks of receiving this email", does this mean that the deadline is on the 25th November 9am? I am asking as I intend to complete the test on the 24th Nov and am worried that it would have expired by then.

Thank you so much! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica!

I have a quick question.

If I have received a Watson Glaser link on 11th Nov at 9am, with the email stating "Please complete the assessment within 2 weeks of receiving this email", does this mean that the deadline is on the 25th November 9am? I am asking as I intend to complete the test on the 24th Nov and am worried that it would have expired by then.

Thank you so much! :)

If you are taking it on the 24th there’s nothing to worry about. It’s in the time limit

• 🏆
    Reactions: R203

Emily Collett

Oct 15, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Sorry if you've answered this elsewhere, but I've just been offered a winter vacation scheme. I currently have another winter vacation scheme application pending that would clash with this one. The VS I've got has a really low chance of converting to a TC, so I still really want to be considered for this other firm's summer scheme instead. Should I wait for a reply, and if I'm invited to an assessment day ask them if I could attend one for the summer cycle instead?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

Sorry if you've answered this elsewhere, but I've just been offered a winter vacation scheme. I currently have another winter vacation scheme application pending that would clash with this one. The VS I've got has a really low chance of converting to a TC, so I still really want to be considered for this other firm's summer scheme instead. Should I wait for a reply, and if I'm invited to an assessment day ask them if I could attend one for the summer cycle instead?

yes

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    So for an American firm, how important is talking about their work in the US, or is it more important to focus on London deals and work?

I don’t think this is a UK vs US firm point. Same could equally apply to non US firms.

you need to focus on the work in your jurisdiction. You won’t be working on US matters as someone training to become qualified within England and Wales.

Zsaurcaks1

Distinguished Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 4, 2018
    Hi Jessica,

One of the applications I am currently drafting asks you to tick 'Yes/No' on whether you were made a TC offer from a past vacation scheme. It then has a follow-up question, asking you to give '..any detail you feel comfortable providing', if the answer is 'no'. Do you have any advice on how to answer this? Is it a good idea to go into detail about the feedback I received from the firm?

Thank you!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica,

One of the applications I am currently drafting asks you to tick 'Yes/No' on whether you were made a TC offer from a past vacation scheme. It then has a follow-up question, asking you to give '..any detail you feel comfortable providing', if the answer is 'no'. Do you have any advice on how to answer this? Is it a good idea to go into detail about the feedback I received from the firm?

Thank you!

well either way, it’s still a tricky question. If it is yes, you need to explain why you aren’t looking to take up that TC offer with that firm.

If no, I think it’s not appropriate to go “into detail” about your feedback, but I think it’s important to focus on one or two key areas of the feedback and then explain why or how you have moved on/developed from that.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Zsaurcaks1

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.