TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Loveslaw1234

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 3, 2023
Does anyone have experience applying to law firms after receiving a range of grades in second-year modules? I have a couple of firsts, 2:1's and 2:2s and am afraid that this is having an impact on my applications... or are there any firms that take module marks *less* into account?

Reactions: axelbeugre

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hi! I've emailed them about this before, here's what they said:

"Our vacation schemes are for second year law students, and penultimate year non-law students only.
    We do have direct training contracts which will be for final years, training contract to stat in 2025.
    Our paralegal academy will open for application in springtime too, which law grads/final years are eligible for, if they can start in June 2024.
    "
    They confirmed yesterday at the law fair that grads can't apply but can apply for Bristol TC instead or paralegal academy

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    Does anyone have experience applying to law firms after receiving a range of grades in second-year modules? I have a couple of firsts, 2:1's and 2:2s and am afraid that this is having an impact on my applications... or are there any firms that take module marks *less* into account?
    I have two 40s marks in first year and one 58 mark in second. Graduated with a 68 overall in third. Not one grad recruiter has asked about them, and I have made it past application stage for almost all applications I’ve made, sans a few US firms that are known to be really strict on grades.

Might depend on the subject - e.g is it in Contract law or e.g. law and philosophy?

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I think that it will depend on which subjects the lower grades are in. However, I would not let this discourage you as law firms are more and more trying to utilise an holistic approach to their application review procedures and I honestly think that, as long as, you graduated with a 2.1 you are fine. If you are still insecure about them, it would be worth:

1. Either flagging that to HR and asking them your true chances of getting an interview with your grades
    2. Or, if you have extenuating circumstances that are worth sharing, it might be good to flag them in the additional information section of the applications just to be on the safer side.
    I am sure that the lower grades will not hinder your chances of getting a TC so do not worry at all! Godd luck with the cycle! @Loveslaw1234

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.