TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Are in-person law fairs truly worth it? I have a university fair today but have come down with an awful cold. I'm a recent graduate and no longer live in the same city so would have to travel a few hours to attend. For one firm, it's the only in-person opportunity to engage with recruitment but I can't help but feel they're meeting so many people at once that they'd likely never remember me anyway.

Am I really missing out if I don't go?
It is a really cool opportunity to be meeting the firm and graduate recruitment but it is not in the slightest the only option to get through application stages so I would say that if you are sick, just take care of yourself! I got through law firms applications to firms I did not attend any events and did not know anyone there so it is the norm for many of us! Take care and good luck with the application cycle!

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    I've just received a rejection email from HSF after attending their AC. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement, especially since I felt the process went rather positively. According to their feedback, I performed well in the scenario-based interview and I really showcased my skills in the competency-based interview. I'm genuinely so confused right now. The case study might not have been my strongest point, but I genuinely believed I'd done enough to prove my worth.

I've dedicated six years to legal education, pouring my heart, soul, time, and energy into the field. I've seized every opportunity that came my way, and I've always tried to give my best in every situation. It feels disheartening to continually face rejections, especially after investing so much into a firm I truly admired.

I'm at a point where I'm questioning my own abilities, my efforts, and even my place in this field. Is there anyone here who has experienced something similar? How did you cope? How did you find the strength to move forward and keep pushing? I'm genuinely curious to understand what makes one successful in these assessment centres and where I might be going wrong. When I talked with trainees at law firms, many mention, "This was my first assessment centre," or "I didn't even look into other firms because I received an offer here after an interview." Surprisingly, I haven't heard anyone discuss the challenges of getting in. Is there something I'm missing? Despite having a First-Class law degree and a Distinction in my LPC, I can't help but feel a bit out of place. The HSF Assessment Centre was notably challenging from a legal perspective. I've learned that there were participants during the AC, or even a current trainee I spoke to, who had backgrounds in areas like biochemistry. I genuinely wonder how individuals from such diverse educational backgrounds can excel in a legal case study, especially in contract law, while I, with six years of legal education, found it challenging. I'm genuinely seeking insight into this disparity in performance, and I'm open to any explanations or feedback. Please don't hesitate to reach out to me to clarify this.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. Any advice, shared experiences, or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.