TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

EM23

Esteemed Member
Dec 10, 2022
Any idea on how WBD allocate their training contracts based on the work experience days locations?

Assuming a larger percentage would be hired in Newcastle since it is on eof their biggest offices.

Percypig12

Valued Member
Oct 19, 2021
Has anyone who has been successful for HSF got advice on the ‘topic of interest’ question? Thanks 😊
Grad rec confirmed to me at an event that you can talk about absolutely anything that interests you. They're looking to see that you can write concisely. I know a future trainee who wrote about a favourite sportsperson. My guess is they would ask you about it at an AC so don't write about something you're not that interested in but you think is impressive.

Reactions: Wannabe_Lawyer

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Has anyone who has been successful for HSF got advice on the ‘topic of interest’ question? Thanks 😊
Pick something that truly interests you. It doesn’t matter what the topic is really - I have seen everything from Greek architecture, to a particular charitable cause, to martial arts, to more “commercial” topics.

Pick a subject you can confidently talk about and present with enthusiasm. Try to think about how you can make the topic engaging or interesting to someone as if they had no knowledge or interest in the topic.

If you can show something that also demonstrates some kind of commitment to the topic then that’s great - for instance how you have perused your interest in the topic in a way that either benefits others or has resulted in some kind of development in you.

Reactions: MR218

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Any advice for Burges Salmon AC? It is my first and I am SO nervous! Concerned that my WG performance will pull down my performance across the rest of the day too.... :(
Your WG was clearly good enough to be brought through to this stage. They really wouldn’t have brought you through if you needed a higher score.

Previous assessments will never pull down your performance at an AC, and especially across the whole range of assessments. At best/worst, they will use your WG results to verify your abilities in particular competencies, such as writing or analytical skills. But even if that happens, it is used as an indicator to support the outcome of the assessment, not something that actually influences the assessment score itself.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Pick something that truly interests you. It doesn’t matter what the topic is really - I have seen everything from Greek architecture, to a particular charitable cause, to martial arts, to more “commercial” topics.

Pick a subject you can confidently talk about and present with enthusiasm. Try to think about how you can make the topic engaging or interesting to someone as if they had no knowledge or interest in the topic.

If you can show something that also demonstrates some kind of commitment to the topic then that’s great - for instance how you have perused your interest in the topic in a way that either benefits others or has resulted in some kind of development in you.
    @Jessica Booker would you say speaking about the lack of diversity in the commercial bar of graduates coming from non oxbridge universities and choosing commercial law as a solicitor instead to be too much of a touchy subject to speak about when addressing this question? As recruiters or Partners may have went to an Oxbridge university.

BlueMoon

Standard Member
    Oct 18, 2023
    Your WG was clearly good enough to be brought through to this stage. They really wouldn’t have brought you through if you needed a higher score.

Previous assessments will never pull down your performance at an AC, and especially across the whole range of assessments. At best/worst, they will use your WG results to verify your abilities in particular competencies, such as writing or analytical skills. But even if that happens, it is used as an indicator to support the outcome of the assessment, not something that actually influences the assessment score itself.
    The WG is assessed on the day at the AC. Does there tend to be equal weighting across all the components? ie. if I really mess it up will it discount me altogether?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker would you say speaking about the lack of diversity in the commercial bar of graduates coming from non oxbridge universities and choosing commercial law as a solicitor instead to be too much of a touchy subject to speak about when addressing this question? As recruiters or Partners may have went to an Oxbridge university.
    I think this risks being seen as trying to fit in motivational aspects to your application rather than truly picking a topic that interests you.

The question has absolutely no link to why you are applying for the firm. The only way I could see this working is if you have done lots of research or activity into improving access to either profession.

Reactions: Legalstalker

ruetorubble

Standard Member
    Mar 27, 2022
    Hi, anyone know what the SH test is like? is it SJT? Watson Glaser? Thanks!
    It's SJT, and there's a pre-recorded interview at the end.

Was wondering if anyone here has finished their SH test and willing to share how they structure the pre-recorded interview? Do you have unlimited time to prep before recording? How many questions were there? Were there commercial awareness questions?

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    It's SJT, and there's a pre-recorded interview at the end.

Was wondering if anyone here has finished their SH test and willing to share how they structure the pre-recorded interview? Do you have unlimited time to prep before recording? How many questions were there? Were there commercial awareness questions?
    Hiya, When did you apply and when did you get a test invite please?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.