TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
It depends as to whether it makes sense for your and your interests. I think that it is not a necessity to be honest. I did it for most applications but not all of them and I manage to get through some firms without mentioning any deals. As long as you are mentioning a deal and link it back to you and why it is interested to you. This is an important point.

There are many other things you can talk about when you are trying to give reasons as to why you are applying to a certain firm: their commitment to ESG, D,E & I, the strength and reputation of a practice area, the structure of their training contract and international opportunities. These factors are perfectly fine to mention, especially if you can link it back to you. This link is what differentiates you from other people.
Oh this is very helpful, thank you!! Do you have any guidance on how you would link a deal back to yourself and your interests?
The D, E and I is definitely the thing I steer to the most, but the other stuff you mentioned didn't even cross my mind!!

(First cycle of applications but it actually baffles me how much I don't know!!)

Reactions: axelbeugre

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Why'd you say that? I have an interview with them in 2 weeks time..
    Hahaha, please do not worry! I just (personally) didn't like the firm, maybe because it's Oxbridge so heavy and I felt a bit like an outsider. I had an assessment centre with Macfarlanes a couple of days before my S&M interview and I COULD TELL THE DIFFERENCE. I really loved the atmosphere at Macfarlanes, but S&M just wasn't for me. I was happy they rejected me honestly, I already had imposter syndrome with some firms - but this was on another level. If you're from a Russel group Uni maybe you would not feel it as much.

But that's the nature of these processes, right? It's as much about you assessing them as they are assessing you. It's all very subjective and based on personal preferences :)

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I am struggling with this question on CMS's TC application: How could CMS use technology to help you further your legal career?

Does anyone have any idea on how to approach it? Is it asking what CMS's current technology can do to help me or generally what tech it can use? Thanks very much!
    I have looked at the website of the firm just now and they seem to have a lot of articles about legal tech and AI. They also seem to provide some legal tech AI services such as machine learning software to analyse contracts and other legal documents quickly and efficiently.

I would talk about examples like these machine learning software will be very useful for you as a lawyer as they will allow you to focus on the key details of deals and agreements between your client and other parties, since you will not have to worry to draft a lot of documents on a day to day basis.

I would also emphasise how technology will be important to spread knowledge and expertise to lawyers at the firm. CMS has in fact stated that ''we are constantly developing new and improved systems for internal knowledge networking'', so I would emphasise this point and how this is important in your opinion.

You can also link these factors to your experience with technology in the workplace. Have you used technology which helped you during an internship for instance? Did you see the benefits of it? These could be very good links as to how you personally will benefit from utilising technology and improve your skills whilst training as a lawyer at the firm.

I hope that helps and good luck with the application! @Flavius Aurelius

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Oh this is very helpful, thank you!! Do you have any guidance on how you would link a deal back to yourself and your interests?
    The D, E and I is definitely the thing I steer to the most, but the other stuff you mentioned didn't even cross my mind!!

(First cycle of applications but it actually baffles me how much I don't know!!)
    I totally understand the confusion, I was very naif when I started applying last year too, you learn through the process so do not worry too much!

In terms of linking the deals back to you, I think that after you have expressed your interest in a specific deal, you also need to specify why you are interested in it.

For example, in my Latham application last year, I mentioned a case regarding the Latin American Development Bank, CAF, on its $800 million global bond offering. I expressed that this was very interesting to me as someone who was studying economic development during my MSc and also because I dealt with advising international government officials in North and South America during an internship I did with an American political consulting company.

I hope the example is helpful!

Reactions: lawyerinzootopia

lawapplicant

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 19, 2023
    Are these interviews being conducted at Oxford?
    Confused by the reactions to this - was kinda a tongue in cheek Q - but there was a post in last years VS thread saying this about a firm, so I would not be surprised.

I am not an Oxford student nor do I have an SM interview - if you thought that I had an interview with SM at Oxford and was asking the poster if they had the same.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    @Jessica Booker Hi! When an application form asks "what country are you based in?", do I mention my permanent residence (so say I'm an international student from China) or do I mention UK (where I'm actually doing my law degree at uni)?
    I would mention the UK as this is your residence since you are a university student. When I was applying I used to put London (since I was an international student studying in London). You can be more specific whenever they give you the chance to put both permanent and term time address. However, this application seems to suggest to only put your term time address, so I would include the UK.

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 23, 2023
    Has anyone heard regarding Mayer Brown open day?
    I received an email Thursday 23 November saying that they’ve moved the open day to the 14th of December due to planned rail strikes. But it wasn’t a confirmation of a place at the open day. I was told I’d know by today the outcome but haven’t received anything yet.
    Did you receive the same email on Thursday?

trainingcontract

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 17, 2023
    @Jessica Booker Hi! As an international student, I did not sit GSCE's or any equivalent formalised exam at 16. Thus far I've been leaving that section blank with this explanation, but I'm starting to worry I come off as evasive. I did sit internal exams but they did not count towards anything, especially since I switched to IB the next year. Plus, they're not fantastic grades. Any advice on approach? Thanks!

jas1502

Aug 2, 2023
    Just got an invite to Paul Hastings Insight Day!

Was wondering if other people got the invite also? I'm not sure how many people they've invited.
    Congrats, I also got an invite!

I got an email from Dechert today too letting me know they've filled up their WVS but are still in the process of reviewing my application, so will roll it to the Spring/Summer Schemes. Has anyone else received this email?

Reactions: Sharon Wu and pb15

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.