TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
Should we talk about deals and firm-related issues and what not in applications? For example, I'm writing a cover letter for Wedlake Bell's open day (on the deadline lol so not hopeful) and the prompt is Demonstrate your interest in Wedlake Bell and a career in Law. Is it necessary to talk about the firm's deals for questions like this?
Since the question is "demonstrate" your interest, I'd say they are probably looking for you to provide a personalized answer where you link aspects of the firm to yourself and your experiences and interests! Deals that you can specifically link to your own interests can work but probably only if it is clear how it connects to you.

lawyerinzootopia

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 12, 2023
Since the question is "demonstrate" your interest, I'd say they are probably looking for you to provide a personalized answer where you link aspects of the firm to yourself and your experiences and interests! Deals that you can specifically link to your own interests can work but probably only if it is clear how it connects to you.
Ah this makes sense, thank you!!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Should we talk about deals and firm-related issues and what not in applications? For example, I'm writing a cover letter for Wedlake Bell's open day (on the deadline lol so not hopeful) and the prompt is Demonstrate your interest in Wedlake Bell and a career in Law. Is it necessary to talk about the firm's deals for questions like this?
It depends as to whether it makes sense for your and your interests. I think that it is not a necessity to be honest. I did it for most applications but not all of them and I manage to get through some firms without mentioning any deals. As long as you are mentioning a deal and link it back to you and why it is interested to you. This is an important point.

There are many other things you can talk about when you are trying to give reasons as to why you are applying to a certain firm: their commitment to ESG, D,E & I, the strength and reputation of a practice area, the structure of their training contract and international opportunities. These factors are perfectly fine to mention, especially if you can link it back to you. This link is what differentiates you from other people.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.