TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

futuretrainee202X

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2022
Hi does anyone have any insight on the TW test? Is it critical thinking? I can see it's no longer arctic shores (yay!) so just wondering if anyone had any insight into the style of test. thank you! :)
Hi! Could I ask when you applied and when an invitation to complete the TW test was sent? I sent off my application on 30 November, and the portal still has not been updated (i.e., the date submitted remains the same).

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

EllaClayton

Valued Member
Jan 23, 2023
Hi! Could I ask when you applied and when an invitation to complete the TW test was sent? I sent off my application on 30 November, and the portal still has not been updated (i.e., the date submitted remains the same).
I applied 29th and mine is still the same, I’d imagine there’s a lot of us around the deadline they’re still working through

• 🏆
Reactions: futuretrainee202X

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Things can change in five years. The people qualifying in 2023 were most likely recruited in 2018/2019. Considering the firm merged in 2018, they may have been optimistic about the firm’s future and growth. If that hasn’t transpired (wouldn’t be overly surprising giving Covid hit shortly afterwards) or the growth has been outside of the U.K., it could be the case that the need for NQs has changed considerably in that period of time. Also NQ rates can be influenced by positive factors (eg low attrition rate), so it might not always be a bad reasons why it is low (although 2 out of 25 is exceptionally low - I have never heard of a less than 10% retention rate, although it might just be that firms have kept quiet if they have had that).

I strongly suspect their more recent intakes are smaller.
    That makes sense. Thank you as always Jessica.

missingh

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 14, 2022
    I applied 29th and mine is still the same, I’d imagine there’s a lot of us around the deadline they’re still working through
    Hey! I applied on the 27th Nov, my job portal still says 'reviewing all applications' and is dated 12th Dec. I received an email from Taylor Wessing inviting me to the test on the 12th December and received the link today for the 22nd. But yeah still hasn't updated on my portal so I'd keep an eye out on your emails rather than the portal :) keeping my fingers crossed for you both!

• 🏆
    Reactions: EllaClayton

laby201

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 28, 2021
    Hi does anyone have any insight on the TW test? Is it critical thinking? I can see it's no longer arctic shores (yay!) so just wondering if anyone had any insight into the style of test. thank you! :)
    It’s essentially a WG, just slightly different (from memory they have “a fairly strong/weak argument and “a very strong/weak argument” with the evaluating arguments section). I think there’s a practice test they provide before you start and it’s identical to that.

It was honestly quite difficult and harder than a typical WG. Best of luck!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi everyone, for Gibson's application there is a word limit of 250 words for each job section... anyone know how strict they are on this say if we wrote 200 words? As some experiences i would stuggle to fill this limit without waffling on
    I wrote 200 words for some of the experiences last year and it was fine!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Ash2323

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Latham PFO for SVS.

Really gutted as felt it was one of my stronger apps.

This cycle has become really demoralising if I’m honest as receiving far more PFOs this time round than last year, even though substantially more research and effort is being put into applications. Ah well, onto the next one.
    That’s exactly me right now. I’m being rejected faster than I’m making apps. Last Friday it was CC, now Latha, god knows which firm it might be next Friday 🤣 it would be nicer if law firms don’t reject us on a Friday afternoon and spoil our weekend

missingh

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 14, 2022
    It’s essentially a WG, just slightly different (from memory they have “a fairly strong/weak argument and “a very strong/weak argument” with the evaluating arguments section). I think there’s a practice test they provide before you start and it’s identical to that.

It was honestly quite difficult and harder than a typical WG. Best of luck!
    ohhh no that sounds tricky- thank you so much though!! would it be worth practicing WG style questions as well as the practice test they give you? :)

milo

Premium Member
    Dec 23, 2022
    Rejected from a few firms this week and wondering where I'm going wrong. Last year my apps weren't the best, and I only progressed after the initial application phase for 3 firms, with only 1 final round interview. I applied for c.15 firms in total. This, despite an improved CV and (what I think) is a much better understanding of how to answer application questions, I'm currently receiving more rejections than last year, and still yet to progress past app. stage. My academics are reasonably good, 2 results in my firs year aside but I have mitigating circumstances for them, so I'm beginning to wonder if it's just not for me... I know it's competitive but lots of people on here seem to get past the first round at least. Any thoughts or experiences would be welcome- I'm looking to make an informed decision about what my (lack of) success tells me! Thanks

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Latham PFO for SVS.

Really gutted as felt it was one of my stronger apps.

This cycle has become really demoralising if I’m honest as receiving far more PFOs this time round than last year, even though substantially more research and effort is being put into applications. Ah well, onto the next one.
    Keep going champ! It only takes one to click.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.