TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Cynthia14

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    I personally do not think this section refers to online courses or certificates you have obtained outside of your undergraduate degree or postgraduate degree, rather it it a space for those candidates who have international qualifications when it comes to high school diploma or university (that was my case last year). Here, you would include the marking scale for your country and the overall grade you obtained and how it would translate in A levels or classification at university (i.e. a first class, two one etc).
    So I do not need to write anything if I attend the A-level and university within UK?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre ,
    I'm writing my application for Weightmans and they only have one question:
    What does 'See the Possibility' mean to you as a potential trainee, and how can it help our lawyers to deliver a high-quality service to our clients?' (500words)
    I'm struggling a bit with the structure for this.
    See the Possibility campaign embodies three core values. I am planning on talking about them and what they mean to me, but am I expected to give examples of when I have shown those values?
    Also struggling with how much focus should be given on the latter part of the question?

Any help would be appreciated!
    The way I would structure this is:
    • Start with what See the Possibility mean to you, how you have developed the core values it encompasses and, if you want and have the word count to do it (since 500 words is a big word count) I would also include one or two examples where you have demonstrated these core values. This is not necessary but I feel like it would allow you to make your answer more tangible and convince the reader that you have mastered these core values in your previous endeavours. If you are uncertain on how much focus you should give to each part of the question, I would divide them in 2 equal parts and see if the answer makes sense and specifically answers the question. This means 250 words for the first part of the question and 250 words for the second part.
    • The second part of the question is asking you to focus on displaying your research into the firm. Here in fact I would look for examples, whether these are cases or deals the firm has worked on, projects or programs the firms has organised over the years aimed at bettering its lawyers, and mention them as examples that these core values have substantially helped to deliver top tier service.
    I hope this helps! Good luck with the application and the cycle!

Reactions: Jaysen and Bubbles

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Reactions: ah898

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I wanted insight on an application question for a Vacation Scheme. The question is: Think of a current commercial issue that has recently attracted your attention. Why does it interest you, why do you consider it to be significant and how do you think this will impact on the firm's clients? What does "significant" mean? Does the firm want to know about the potential opportunities and challenges of the commercial news story?
    I would say that they care about knowing why the news you decided to talk about is important according to you. This could be because of the impact it has on the business sector, on society, on law firms, on their clients, whatever you deem significant or important. It is a personal consideration regarding the issue at hand so you should investigate what kind of news you want to talk about and discuss its consequences, and according to those, coupled with other factors (some of which I have mentioned before), you have to specify why the news is important.

Reactions: amrita6399

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hi, I was just wondering, if I got through to a firm's VI stage last year, and re-applying this year, and their questions for their application are essentially the same, can I more or less copy paste my answers from last year (with some minor edits), or will it be flagged up as plagiarism?
    Thanks!
    I would try and change the answer. This can also mean changing the verbs and nouns with synonyms without necessarily changing the content of the answer, if you do not have anything to change. However, try to use different experiences if you can or describe experiences you have already talked about last year from a different angle.

Reactions: Bubbles

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think this question has been asked before so my apologies for repeating - but what is considered a small trainee intake? Is it anything under 10? Is 12 considered a small intake?
    I would say it is generally smaller than many firms, but it depends on the context you are describing here. For a US firm 12 would be large, but for a multi location national firm it may not be that small.

Reactions: lawyerinzootopia

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Got 2 PFOs already - is this usually an indication as to how the rest of my application turnouts are gonna be this cycle? :/
    I think I've had 23 PFO's , don't let two stop you! you might not be a right fit for their firm but another firm will be perfect for you, keep applying and be positive :)

good luck!!

Last edited:

hirene

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 2, 2022
    Anyone having issues with CMS VI? My status says error and it keeps telling me to try later (which i still cant) - I reached our to CMS team and awaiting their response but in this case they would give me extension if the issue doesn't get fixed until the deadline right?? 🥺😭

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.