White & Case online form

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
There is a section for work experience and also career events which asks you to "provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations etc."

Would I be right to assume the work experience section is for paid work experience only and the career events is for legal work experience such vacation schemes? There is a 350 word limit for the Career events section so I'm not sure.

Also would you have to write in prose or could you bullet point. This goes for the Extra-Curricular Activities section as well, which asks for "details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements".

Simone

Future Trainee
Nov 21, 2018
I applied last cycle and got to the final interview. For work experience, I included volunteering work and vac schemes/internships, and for the career section I put in workshops and White & Case's Open Day (which I numbered, with some short sentences). For ec, I split the section into EC, positions or responsibility, and achievements. If you can, you should try to attend an Open Day, where grad rec guides you through the application (e.g. structure they prefer) and review your application on-one-on. I can't quite remember, but I think they said the most important thing is that you write and structure it in an intelligible way.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There is a section for work experience and also career events which asks you to "provide details of any careers events you have attended e.g. insight days, workshops, presentations etc."

Would I be right to assume the work experience section is for paid work experience only and the career events is for legal work experience such vacation schemes? There is a 350 word limit for the Career events section so I'm not sure.

Also would you have to write in prose or could you bullet point. This goes for the Extra-Curricular Activities section as well, which asks for "details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements".

no - work experience is any work experience (eg where you have responsibilities to deliver work)

careers events are any open day, open evening, networking events, training events, conferences etc where you just have to turn up and don’t have any responsibilities to deliver work.

It won’t really matter if you choose to bullet point or use prose. Just keep it succinct and to the point.

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
I applied last cycle and got to the final interview. For work experience, I included volunteering work and vac schemes/internships, and for the career section I put in workshops and White & Case's Open Day (which I numbered, with some short sentences). For ec, I split the section into EC, positions or responsibility, and achievements. If you can, you should try to attend an Open Day, where grad rec guides you through the application (e.g. structure they prefer) and review your application on-one-on. I can't quite remember, but I think they said the most important thing is that you write and structure it in an intelligible way.

Thank you

Osh

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2018
no - work experience is any work experience (eg where you have responsibilities to deliver work)

careers events are any open day, open evening, networking events, training events, conferences etc where you just have to turn up and don’t have any responsibilities to deliver work.

It won’t really matter if you choose to bullet point or use prose. Just keep it succinct and to the point.

Thank you

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    How would you approach the following question: What is(are) the business objective(s) behind the guaranteed international seat for trainees at White & Case?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How would you approach the following question: What is(are) the business objective(s) behind the guaranteed international seat for trainees at White & Case?

I’d look at the firm’s wording on international secondments for trainees, I’d look at articles like the Chambers student guide to see where trainees go, I’d look on LinkedIn to find any NQs and where they went on secondment. I’d then look at the firm’s general business strategy globally and see where there are connections

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019

I write in prose - I think it's generally received better (as long as it is concise).

Romiras

Legendary Member
    Associate
    Apr 3, 2019

The firm has a large international network that often has to work with each other on transactions. International secondments allow trainees to feel more involved with the international culture, workflow and strategy of the firm. It also helps develop your appreciation for how things may operate in different jurisdictions both culturally and in terms of work.

Reactions: CF and gricole

Sammie

Star Member
    Nov 13, 2019
    Hi guys, just been invited to the W&C video interview - is there a specific thread on that? Im a new member and am browsing through the threads, trying to find it...
    Does anyone have any tips on the VI? :)

AAA_a

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 14, 2019
    Hi guys, just been invited to the W&C video interview - is there a specific thread on that? Im a new member and am browsing through the threads, trying to find it...
    Hi when did you submit your application? Is this for a winter vac scheme or what?

Lana

Nov 15, 2019
    Hello, have you completed your video interview? If so I would greatly appreciate it if you could tell us how it was and what kind of questions you were asked? Thanks!!

traineeintraining

Star Member
    Oct 29, 2019
    Hi guys i'm writing my cover letter and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how i can get a deeper understanding on W&C's international practice; beside of just looking at the firm website / insight. I am really trying to unpack their concept of being "truly global"

Amy1

Jan 30, 2019
    Hi guys i'm writing my cover letter and i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how i can get a deeper understanding on W&C's international practice; beside of just looking at the firm website / insight. I am really trying to unpack their concept of being "truly global"

Hi, here are a few things you can consider:
    1. Guaranteed international secondments for trainees - what does it mean for you as a trainee, and the firm as a whole?
    2. Their approach to international expansion and their impact in countries with barriers to entry e.g Saudi Arabia
    3. Their impact in countries where they don’t have a physical office or alliance
    Goodluck!

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen

M1999

Legendary Member
    Nov 28, 2019
    Are people applying now for the summer vacation scheme at White & Case? I was going to do mine later but I realised I may reduce my chances due to the rolling applications...

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are people applying now for the summer vacation scheme at White & Case? I was going to do mine later but I realised I may reduce my chances due to the rolling applications...

just apply. You will complete limit your chances if you don’t apply at all based on some perception of what others might or might not be doing.

Reactions: Serah O and Daniel Boden

LuLa

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Nov 28, 2019
    Hi, I think you could also consider their 2020 strategy and how this links in with their international practice. they are basically focussing on 4 sectors and trying to heavily grow in the London and US (new york) market. i think this is quite a good one to raise because this will allow them to become even more competitive on a global scale. they are probably the only "us-based" firm in London who has a truly strong presence in both the UK and the US. hence by strategically targeting private equity, oil and gas, technology and financial services I believe they will be able to not only grow in the uk and us markets but also better service other countries from there.
    If i were you i would then link this to the potential opportunities that would be made available for trainees.
    aka --> strategic growth in lucrative markets= more high quality work coming in= more cross border work coming in = more possibilities for trainees to get involved in complex, cross border deals (which is in a way w&c's selling point)

• 🏆
    Reactions: Serah O and Soliha

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.