Simmons & Simmons video interview

xelania

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 29, 2019
Could someone who's recently done Simmons & Simmons' video interview tell me a little bit about what it entails? The email that I received says that it consists of 'competency, motivational and scenario questions', however threads I've found from a few years ago say that it also includes commercial awareness questions. Any advice?

P.S. Is anyone's server being v temperamental?

Thanks.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
From last cycle (not sure if the same this cycle):
  1. Tell me about yourself
  2. A favourite business you admire and talk about why you admire it, the opportunities and risks for the business
  3. A question relating to ambition or collegiality and how you have demonstrated it/the importance of it
  4. A question relating to challenge/ how do you challenge people and would you feel comfortable doing so?
  5. Why are you interested in law and what will you be doing as a trainee solicitor day to day

• ℹ️
  • 🤝
Reactions: TT98, Biena and gricole

Alice10

Jan 27, 2019
Is this for the winter vacation scheme or the summer one?

Could someone who's recently done Simmons & Simmons' video interview tell me a little bit about what it entails? The email that I received says that it consists of 'competency, motivational and scenario questions', however threads I've found from a few years ago say that it also includes commercial awareness questions. Any advice?

P.S. Is anyone's server being v temperamental?

Thanks.

xelania

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 29, 2019
From last cycle (not sure if the same this cycle):
  1. Tell me about yourself
  2. A favourite business you admire and talk about why you admire it, the opportunities and risks for the business
  3. A question relating to ambition or collegiality and how you have demonstrated it/the importance of it
  4. A question relating to challenge/ how do you challenge people and would you feel comfortable doing so?
  5. Why are you interested in law and what will you be doing as a trainee solicitor day to day
Cheers, really appreciate that. How long do you get to prepare for each question, and for how long can you speak? Can you re-record answers?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Cheers, really appreciate that. How long do you get to prepare for each question, and for how long can you speak? Can you re-record answers?

From what I've heard it's 90 seconds to answer the question. Not sure about the others I'm afraid.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018

As Jaysen said, I think it’s 90 seconds to prepare for each question, and 60 seconds to speak. The first question only gave you 60 seconds to prepare and 30 seconds to speak though, iirc. You can’t re-record answers!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Okay, that would imply that there are more than 5 questions then because the interview is supposed to last around 30 minutes?

Possibly. But by the time you go through all the processes and practice time, it could easily be up to 30 mins even with 5 questions.

5 mins set up
    5 mins practice question
    3 mins per question x 5 questions

= 25 minutes

rounded up to 30 to ensure candidates give themselves adequate time to complete it.

FutureCity

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Dec 23, 2018
    Hi there! Do you mind sharing some tips on what to expect for the video interview questions?

Thank you

Hey! Of course. Honestly, if you look at the posts, all the people have pretty much summed it up.

The only advice I will give is that 90 seconds is a lot shorter than you think if you go in unprepared. So use the time for preparation seriously and quickly map out your answer (you need to have certain points prepared beforehand that you can draw on).

However, don’t over prepare. Know what you will say but don’t rehearse answers. In regards to the actual questions asked, it’s already covered in this thread or another more general one.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.