TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Just had a look through my feedback report from Akin and it states that one of my weak points is collaborating.

When you lot are answering SJT questions of a sliding scale and it says would you work best working alone or collaborating, what do you put.

I put the slider directly in the middle, as I see pro's and con's to both, and realistically, no one will ever be collaborating and working as part of a team for the full working week.

Interested to hear how others would approach a sliding scale in answer to this question!

Reactions: zdzd and BM99

CarolineC

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 23, 2019
    Just had a look through my feedback report from Akin and it states that one of my weak points is collaborating.

When you lot are answering SJT questions of a sliding scale and it says would you work best working alone or collaborating, what do you put.

I put the slider directly in the middle, as I see pro's and con's to both, and realistically, no one will ever be collaborating and working as part of a team for the full working week.

Interested to hear how others would approach a sliding scale in answer to this question!
    I hate slider questions - in the majority of the cases, answer would be more dependent on the context

hopefultrainee888

Distinguished Member
    Feb 1, 2023
    for those that heard back from akin - did you ever receive an email that said
    "Thank you for taking the time to complete the Akin online assessment. We are currently reviewing assessment scores and will be in touch in the coming weeks to provide an update on your application.

Thank you for your patience."

Reactions: sxw517

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021

I haven’t received my outcome but I agree it’s very confusing. I got collaborating as my weakness too, but for strength I got inclusion, which is essentially saying I’m good at engaging with others, gather diverse views, and promoting openness. I mean, isn’t that a key part of collaborating with others as well? 😂🤷🏻‍♂️

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I hate slider questions - in the majority of the cases, answer would be more dependent on the context
    I haven’t received my outcome but I agree it’s very confusing. I got collaborating as my weakness too, but for strength I got inclusion, which is essentially saying I’m good at engaging with others, gather diverse views, and promoting openness. I mean, isn’t that a key part of collaborating with others as well? 😂🤷🏻‍♂️
    Agreed, I always end up second-guessing what I have put in SJT questions, as barely any context is ever given.

& yes, leadership was one of my strengths, and surely, like inclusion, leadership requires the ability to collaborate... Oh well!

Sometimes these processes seem arbitrary.

Good luck both, I'm sure you'll hear back with good news, as they've sent today's batch of PFOs already :)

Reactions: yasmars

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    Agreed, I always end up second-guessing what I have put in SJT questions, as barely any context is ever given.

& yes, leadership was one of my strengths, and surely, like inclusion, leadership requires the ability to collaborate... Oh well!

Sometimes these processes seem arbitrary.

Good luck both, I'm sure you'll hear back with good news, as they've sent today's batch of PFOs already :)
    Thanks! Also may I ask when did you go the online test?

ah898

Star Member
  • Nov 9, 2023
    Mischon PFO. Bit of a weird one for me cause it wasn't a firm that's high up on my list, but I thought my answers were particularly good.

Starting to think there's just more and more luck involved in getting past the application stage, specially since some of the ones I have gotten past I did really quickly and they were very impersonal.

Maybe my judgement on the quality of my application is the problem.

Regardless, onto the next.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.