TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Lopez2017

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 11, 2023
I am currently working on Reed Smith’s application and was wondering for the question “Focusing on one of Reed Smith’s sectors, what current issues do you think will impact this sector? What opportunities or challenges could this present Reed Smith or our clients? (300 words)” Do I have to talk about more than one issue? I‘ve picked one issue to dive into and that was already 250 words. I feel like I won’t be able to cover the issue in depth otherwise. Anybody has similar experience or advice?
Grad rec said one or two issues for this question in their session with TCLA.

Reactions: MrHubertLouis

lawtab

Star Member
Jul 19, 2023
What do you guys think a law firm is looking for in response to this question: Please tell us something that not many people know about you
Is this for D&P? If so, I took it to mean that they’re looking for something interesting (achievements, sport etc) that showcases your personality/skills

I found this useful as a starting point:

Reactions: JohnF and ayiiii05

77777law

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 22, 2023
Does anyone know if we need to complete the WG test again in the same academic year for Hogan Lovells, if rejected after Lift off and now applying for VS?

Does anyone know if we need to complete the WG test again in the same academic year for Hogan Lovells, if rejected after Lift off and now applying for VS?
I messaged grad rec and they told me you would have to resit the test again for the VS as it is a separate application- hope this helps!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What do you guys think a law firm is looking for in response to this question: Please tell us something that not many people know about you
It is about finding something interesting about you that maybe isn't something you'd naturally shout about in an application or tell all your friends/family about. It might be something you are proud of but isn't something that is a core part of who you are/what you do. Maybe you have developed a new skill/hobby/knowledge as something that is very different to the things you usually do.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
When answering the "why this firm" question, is it unwise to talk about a practice area that a different office excels in? For example, London office may rank Band 3 while Manchester is Band 1.
My first thought is whether the ranking is really adding anything to the point you are making? If you are applying to the London office and it has a lower ranking, can you just not focus on your interests in this work and they type of work the London office does without the reference to the ranking?

Reactions: Sharon Wu

eleven14og

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    I applied with them back in September/ October and the whole application process took several weeks (interview + tests + visa check) and I have not heard back from them since. If anyone has heard back from them please do let me know!
    I received plenty of emails from them re job openings (but mostly short-term doc review) maybe drop them an email to check?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.