Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
My W&C cover letter is about 850 words (1.6 pages). its written extremely concisely and I am really reluctant to cut down more since I think its really good and really links to the firm. However, is this excessively long to the point where it will get rejected for length alone? I know the recommend length is a page (400-600 words). Not sure what to do..
Seen successful W&C letters that are more than 850 words. I wouldn’t worry about this if it is still concise and well structured

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was told that the W&C cover letter should not exceed 1k words. I wrote 950 words for my cover letter, which in hindsight, I regret not shortening. Do you think it is possible that it will be rejected based on that alone?
No - you are within the limit you have been told. You will not be rejected because of the number of words you wrote.

law2022x

Legendary Member
Feb 21, 2022
Does anyone know what Jones Day cares about the most application-wise? Are they very academic? I am completing my application for the Summer VS right now and I would like to know whether or not doing their Forage programme will benefit my application. Is it bad if I don't do it given the form has a section where they explicitly ask if you have?

eleven14og

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    Would law firms prioritise external applicants for their vac scheme? I am currently contracting at a firm so cannot go the internal TC route. Having a hard time deciding whether to apply for VS or TC.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Guys if you botch one VI question COMPLETELY (I literally apologised midway through!!!), but think you did okay in the other questions, is it an instant PFO 😭😭💔
    I have no advice for you so I’m sorry but to make you feel better I did a VI for Simmons WVS a few months back and farted whilst talking (quite loud).…. I tried to continue but started to laugh😭 I didn’t have time to say sorry. I don’t think grad rec found it funny as I was unsurprisingly unsuccessful! Got invite to apply again through 10K interns did my VI a few weeks ago and I think it went much smoother but its Never a PFO until they tell you😁 good luck!

JoannaAHA

Jan 9, 2024
    I have no advice for you so I’m sorry but to make you feel better I did a VI for Simmons WVS a few months back and farted whilst talking (quite loud).…. I tried to continue but started to laugh😭 I didn’t have time to say sorry. I don’t think grad rec found it funny as I was unsurprisingly unsuccessful! Got invite to apply again through 10K interns did my VI a few weeks ago and I think it went much smoother but its Never a PFO until they tell you😁 good luck!
    Hahahahahaha omg!!! I would've let that slide clearly HR don't have a sense of humour 🤣

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would law firms prioritise external applicants for their vac scheme? I am currently contracting at a firm so cannot go the internal TC route. Having a hard time deciding whether to apply for VS or TC.
    Really depends on the firm but if you are working for them already, they are likely to think a vacation scheme is a bit of a waste of time. Most of the things you will get out of a vacation scheme, you’d get out of working for the firm more generally.

Reactions: eleven14og

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.