TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
I am having trouble answering a potential interview question based on the competencies.

"Tell me about a time when you had to influence others with your opinion/suggestion"

@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre what kind of examples or scenarios can I use? I'm having a hard time with this question.
Hey @amrita6399,

This is something that I have been asked when I was interviewing last year quite a lot. What I found worked really well was trying to be super honest in terms of expressing my examples from my previous experiences. One of the examples I should to talk about for instance was being part of a group project in one of my previous internships about generation trauma and how that affected marginalised communities. Being the only person of colour in my group, it was really important for me to be able to share my experience and make that relatable to the other group members who might have not been able to understand the question fully. This was able to influence them into following a certain research structure I suggested which ended up being extremely appreciated by the managers and we won the competition.

This was received really well and I think that as a story it not only answers the questions but it also tells a lot about my values, personality and values, which I think it is the point of a great example. An effective example will answer the question but also make you shine in other areas and show what an invaluable asset to the firm you would be too. So I would suggest try to find an example in your life that you can talk about similar to the one I shared.

I hope this is helpful and good luck!

• 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen, amrita6399 and NJS

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Do people prepare for group exercises?
If so, how?
It is really hard to prepare for those honestly, and it really depends on what you are going to do in the exercise. I had one during my vacation scheme and I did not prepare as much. What I did was asking for advice from trainees at the firm and everyone told me to be myself and to understand earlier on what kind of player I would want to be in the group exercise. Do you want to be the leader? Do you want to be the time keeper? Do you want to be the organised person who guides the conversation and keep everyone on track? Do you want to say crucial points but let everyone be heard and foster an inclusive environment? (this was the role I tried to embrace as it shows how good of a team player you are and it is easier to control yourself and not be the loudest in the room, which not always works in these exercises).

I feel like these are some of the questions you would want to reflect on. Additionally, talking to people who went through the process at the firm you have applied to is essential as they are the only ones who can tell you how it was and what the firm might be looking at in these exercises.

I hope that helps and good luck with the group exercise and congratulations in obtaining one, this is an amazing opportunity and achievement!

• 🤝
Reactions: Apple, Jaysen and flower

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
My W&C cover letter is about 850 words (1.6 pages). its written extremely concisely and I am really reluctant to cut down more since I think its really good and really links to the firm. However, is this excessively long to the point where it will get rejected for length alone? I know the recommend length is a page (400-600 words). Not sure what to do..
nah, ur good, mine was about 800 and i got to vi :)

Reactions: Sharon Wu

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
My W&C cover letter is about 850 words (1.6 pages). its written extremely concisely and I am really reluctant to cut down more since I think its really good and really links to the firm. However, is this excessively long to the point where it will get rejected for length alone? I know the recommend length is a page (400-600 words). Not sure what to do..
I know it is difficult to cut words but 1,6 pages I feel like it is a bit too much especially due to the fact that so many people apply to the firm. You do not want to give them a reason to disregard you immediately based on the fact that your cover letter is too long. So, what I would say is cut down everything that does not show you as a perfect candidate or does not relate to the firm specifically. There are always a lot of sentences or words we use in cover letters or personal statements that we feel are relating to the firm but in reality are just very generic. Try to see if you have something like this in your cover letter and potentially reduce these general sentences. I am sure that you can also shorten some sentences or cut unnecessary words or adverbs in your cover letter that will help the word count to go down. I would say that 800 might be good, I know people who got through the process with 800 too so if you feel like you cannot cut anything, then trust yourself! (For context, I applied to the firm last year and I receive the video interview and my cover letter was 670 words!)

I hope this is effective and I am sure you wrote an amazing piece of work, good luck with your application!!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

airyfairy123

Sep 1, 2022
I know it is difficult to cut words but 1,6 pages I feel like it is a bit too much especially due to the fact that so many people apply to the firm. You do not want to give them a reason to disregard you immediately based on the fact that your cover letter is too long. So, what I would say is cut down everything that does not show you as a perfect candidate or does not relate to the firm specifically. There are always a lot of sentences or words we use in cover letters or personal statements that we feel are relating to the firm but in reality are just very generic. Try to see if you have something like this in your cover letter and potentially reduce these general sentences. I am sure that you can also shorten some sentences or cut unnecessary words or adverbs in your cover letter that will help the word count to go down. I would say that 800 might be good, I know people who got through the process with 800 too so if you feel like you cannot cut anything, then trust yourself! (For context, I applied to the firm last year and I receive the video interview and my cover letter was 670 words!)

I hope this is effective and I am sure you wrote an amazing piece of work, good luck with your application!!
I was told that the W&C cover letter should not exceed 1k words. I wrote 950 words for my cover letter, which in hindsight, I regret not shortening. Do you think it is possible that it will be rejected based on that alone?

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.