TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Updating this in the spirit of accountability! Please do give me insight on any of these applications. For context, all of these are Spring/Summer Vacation Scheme, and this is my first application cycle.

Applied so far:
  • Slaughter and May - Rejected ❌
  • Allen & Overy - Rejected post VI & SJT ❌
  • Herbert Smith Freehills - Passed WG, waiting ⏳
  • Latham & Watkins - taken test & VI, waiting ⏳
  • Linklaters - taken WG, waiting ⏳
  • Hogan Lovells - taken test, waiting⏳
  • Katten - waiting⏳
  • Macfarlanes - taken test, waiting⏳
  • Travers Smith - applying now 🔜
  • NRF - applying soon 🔜
  • Freshfields - taken WG, Assessment Centre incoming 📍
I am procrastinating my Travers Smith application because I am very very very burned out atm ugh
Nice way to hold yourself accountable, good luck with the process!!!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Baker McKenzie VS application - Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you. (300 words max) - Do they really mean anything or is it always a better idea to relate it back to business/finance/law in some way?
I am pretty sure they mean anything otherwise they would have specified pertaining to the business or corporate world so have fun with this question. I remember hearing people talking about a diverse set of topics in the HSF application. Some people talked about Taylor Swift, or swimming, climbing, music or anything like that. It really is a chance to showcase who you are and your interests so show them just that. Ideally, if you want to keep it more professional or legal adjacent, I would probably talk about how helping others excites me or how reading about successful lawyers helping people in danger really inspired me, mentioning famous lawyers or something like that. The question is open and general because they are interested in you so be creative and talk about your genuine interests!

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
Jan 8, 2024
fair enough. good luck with the AC tomorrow! I picked 23/01 because I wanted it to be in-person but i'm envious of you getting it out of the way
appreciate it -- there were a few more days this week that were available in person as well I don't know if you saw them or not -- you'll be good though that extra prep time should help you nicely

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023
    I am pretty sure they mean anything otherwise they would have specified pertaining to the business or corporate world so have fun with this question. I remember hearing people talking about a diverse set of topics in the HSF application. Some people talked about Taylor Swift, or swimming, climbing, music or anything like that. It really is a chance to showcase who you are and your interests so show them just that. Ideally, if you want to keep it more professional or legal adjacent, I would probably talk about how helping others excites me or how reading about successful lawyers helping people in danger really inspired me, mentioning famous lawyers or something like that. The question is open and general because they are interested in you so be creative and talk about your genuine interests!
    I talked about Taylor Swift and Barbie but I think I was too conceptual with it 😭😭😭

Reactions: axelbeugre

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023
    Is it necessary to put "training contract offer holder" on Linkedin anyway? I've seen it a lot recently (even vacation scheme offer holder) and I'm genuinely curious about the reason for putting this online - is it to connect with more people at the firm, or something more?
    Most likely it’s used as a status symbol

cwhite233

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 26, 2020
    Hi all! When an application asks you to talk about work that the firm has 'done recently,' what counts as recent? I was thinking the last 6 months is fair game, though I'm not completely sure on this. For reference, the deal I am keen to reference was announced in January 2023 but was completed in mid July 2023. I'm slightly scared it's too old! If anyone has any guidance it would be much appreciated! :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Hi all! When an application asks you to talk about work that the firm has 'done recently,' what counts as recent? I was thinking the last 6 months is fair game, though I'm not completely sure on this. For reference, the deal I am keen to reference was announced in January 2023 but was completed in mid July 2023. I'm slightly scared it's too old! If anyone has any guidance it would be much appreciated! :)
    That is fine. Anything before Q4 2022 might be a bit old, so 2023 is fine

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.