TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Just out of curiosity, I have noticed that some people tend to post on linkedin that they are a 'Training Contract Offer Holder" at a firm, and then will continue to do more vac schemes at other firms and get additional TC offers throughout the cycle. Do law firms let you attend future vac schemes at other firms (if they have already given you an offer) before deciding which you'd like to accept a TC with? or are these people just accepting offers and then reneging on them later down the line?
    Hi there! Firms will invariably give you deadline to accept or reject your TC offer by. They might grant time extensions to a candidate if they have other VS lined up or are holding other TC offers, but equally they might not. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing preventing a candidate from attending VS at other firms, especially if they haven't accepted any TC offers. You can also accept an offer and renege on it later.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: Sharon Wu

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Just out of curiosity, I have noticed that some people tend to post on linkedin that they are a 'Training Contract Offer Holder" at a firm, and then will continue to do more vac schemes at other firms and get additional TC offers throughout the cycle. Do law firms let you attend future vac schemes at other firms (if they have already given you an offer) before deciding which you'd like to accept a TC with? or are these people just accepting offers and then reneging on them later down the line?
    Considering how competitive the process is I’m super indifferent on people with offers trying to seek out more offers and taking a place away from someone who needs it, nobody asked but just my thoughts on that

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Depends what stage they are at. If before mid-September in their penultimate year, there is this "best practice" code that you can hold the offer until mid-September and not have to accept or decline it until then do they can do other schemes with other firms. Not all firms keep to the code though.

But if they are writing "offer holder" rather than future trainee, this suggests to me the firm is taking this approach.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Considering how competitive the process is I’m super indifferent on people with offers trying to seek out more offers and taking a place away from someone who needs it, nobody asked but just my thoughts on that
    I look at it differently - lots of people do different schemes each year and then weigh up which firm is the best for them. I'd much prefer people to do this and make an informed decision than being forced to accept the first offer they get.

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
    Oct 2, 2023
    Hi there! Firms will invariably give you deadline to accept or reject your TC offer by. They might grant time extensions to a candidate if they have other VS lined up or are holding other TC offers, but equally they might not. As far as I'm aware, there's nothing preventing a candidate from attending VS at other firms, especially if they haven't accepted any TC offers. You can also accept an offer and renege on it later.

Hope this helps!
    I think I read that Goodwin doesn't allow you to participate in other vacation schemes if you accept their offer. @axelbeugre, do you know if this is still true? Is this a Goodwin thing or do you know other firms that have a similar policy? :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

manifestingtrainingcontract

Distinguished Member
  • Dec 24, 2023
    Updating this in the spirit of accountability! For context, all of these are Spring/Summer Vacation Scheme, and this is my first application cycle.

Applied so far:
    • Slaughter and May - Rejected ❌
    • Allen & Overy - Rejected post VI & SJT ❌
    • Herbert Smith Freehills - Passed WG, waiting ⏳
    • Latham & Watkins - taken test & VI, waiting ⏳
    • Linklaters - taken WG, waiting ⏳
    • Hogan Lovells - taken test, waiting⏳
    • Katten - waiting⏳
    • Macfarlanes - taken test, waiting⏳
    • Travers Smith - waiting ⏳
    • NRF - applying soon 🔜
    • Freshfields - taken WG, Assessment Centre incoming 📍

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think I read that Goodwin doesn't allow you to participate in other vacation schemes if you accept their offer. @axelbeugre, do you know if this is still true? Is this a Goodwin thing or do you know other firms that have a similar policy? :)
    I would expect this to only be a TC offer rather than vacation scheme.

Firms can add terms to their TC offers that state you can’t do vacation schemes elsewhere, but that will be subject to you accepting first. If you can get them to extend the offer, then you won’t have accepted this term and so don’t need to abide by it until accepted.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.