Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am actually quite concerned that by the time they get to me (28th February) they'll have filled up all the Vac Scheme spots. Kinda upset that I napped through the email and only reserved my spot 2 hours after I received it 😅
Really wouldn’t worry about this. Freshfields have a labour intensive process and only get through so many candidates a day. I suspect they are only interviewing on certain days as well.

They won’t be scheduling interviews they won’t need, and if need be they can always up their VS numbers slightly to accommodate a strong cohort of candidates.

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
Baker McKenzie VS application - Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you. (300 words max) - Do they really mean anything or is it always a better idea to relate it back to business/finance/law in some way?
It can be anything, I wrote about musical theatre last year and got to vi

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Baker McKenzie VS application - Tell us about something - anything - that excites and inspires you. (300 words max) - Do they really mean anything or is it always a better idea to relate it back to business/finance/law in some way?
Can be absolutely anything and doesn’t have to have any connection to law/business. Pick something that genuinely excites and inspires you.

Reactions: AlCapone

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
i spoke about historical property last year and passed app stage - it can literally be anything

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Trooper007

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2023
Updating this in the spirit of accountability! Please do give me insight on any of these applications. For context, all of these are Spring/Summer Vacation Scheme, and this is my first application cycle.

Applied so far:
  • Slaughter and May - Rejected ❌
  • Allen & Overy - Rejected post VI & SJT ❌
  • Herbert Smith Freehills - Passed WG, waiting ⏳
  • Latham & Watkins - taken test & VI, waiting ⏳
  • Linklaters - taken WG, waiting ⏳
  • Hogan Lovells - taken test, waiting⏳
  • Katten - waiting⏳
  • Macfarlanes - taken test, waiting⏳
  • Travers Smith - applying now 🔜
  • NRF - applying soon 🔜
  • Freshfields - taken WG, Assessment Centre incoming 📍
I am procrastinating my Travers Smith application because I am very very very burned out atm ugh
You've got a couple of hours for the TS CL; you can do it!

EliteWhovian

Legendary Member
  • Dec 8, 2022
    Updating this in the spirit of accountability! Please do give me insight on any of these applications. For context, all of these are Spring/Summer Vacation Scheme, and this is my first application cycle.

Applied so far:
    • Slaughter and May - Rejected ❌
    • Allen & Overy - Rejected post VI & SJT ❌
    • Herbert Smith Freehills - Passed WG, waiting ⏳
    • Latham & Watkins - taken test & VI, waiting ⏳
    • Linklaters - taken WG, waiting ⏳
    • Hogan Lovells - taken test, waiting⏳
    • Katten - waiting⏳
    • Macfarlanes - taken test, waiting⏳
    • Travers Smith - applying now 🔜
    • NRF - applying soon 🔜
    • Freshfields - taken WG, Assessment Centre incoming 📍
    I am procrastinating my Travers Smith application because I am very very very burned out atm ugh
    literally doing mine now, you got this!

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
    Jan 8, 2024
    Really wouldn’t worry about this. Freshfields have a labour intensive process and only get through so many candidates a day. I suspect they are only interviewing on certain days as well.

They won’t be scheduling interviews they won’t need, and if need be they can always up their VS numbers slightly to accommodate a strong cohort of candidates.
    I've got my AC with them tomorrow so I'm really praying it goes well -- I didn't know their VS numbers were fluid though that's reassuring

yxngd2x

Distinguished Member
    Jan 8, 2024
    Freshfields is killing me. From what it seems, it looks like a rejection email incoming tomorrow morning.
    nah nah not necessarily -- they'll hand out a lot of invitations for sure because of the number of TCs they offer -- the only reason mine is this early is because I did the spring last year so those of us who converted have ours over this next week -- I definitely wouldn't lose hope, especially because the deadline only passed last week I'm pretty sure

PlimptonWeld

Star Member
    Jul 13, 2022
    nah nah not necessarily -- they'll hand out a lot of invitations for sure because of the number of TCs they offer -- the only reason mine is this early is because I did the spring last year so those of us who converted have ours over this next week -- I definitely wouldn't lose hope, especially because the deadline only passed last week I'm pretty sure
    Fingers crossed.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.