TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

IwantaVacSchemePlz

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
I wrote 670 words for TS, and that has hit around a page. TS grad recruitment emphasised at an event they want the CL to be engaging throughout, so whilst it was ok to go slightly longer than a page, everything you write has to be super concise and serve a purpose, and tell your story.
Mine is around 890 words
I think as long as those 900 words have a clear structure to them and are written well, it doesn't really matter how long it is. I think anything above 1,000 and I'd definitely look to be cutting down, but I feel 900 is fine.
Currently doing my Travers Smith cover letter. Is 900 words too much or is it ok? I’m trying to cut it down but I feel like I’m removing important things.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Is the BCLP Direct TC a viable route, I have been planning to apply for a Direct TC, but need to make my mind up in the next few hours as to whether its the best option.

Does anyone know the split that BCLP has between TC's offered to those on VS and those that apply for a TC directly?

Thanks in advance! :)

Annadetutu

Sep 18, 2023
    @Jessica Booker I've just submitted the Freshfields written assessment, and realised immediately after submission that I'd missed something obvious, and made a couple of errors. Do you recall how forgiving FFs are for the assessment (i.e. do successful applicants typically have stellar written assessments, or generally are they a tad imperfect but not terrible)?

I know what's done is done etc, just trying to put my mind at ease/evaluate my chances 😅
    Hi! I've heard that a good few vac schemers failed their written assessment last year and had to redo it during the vac scheme so I dont think it will make or break your success. I am about to do mine this interview. Could you speak a little bit on the structure of the assessment?

jplaw1010

Legendary Member
    Apr 11, 2023
    Is the BCLP Direct TC a viable route, I have been planning to apply for a Direct TC, but need to make my mind up in the next few hours as to whether its the best option.

Does anyone know the split that BCLP has between TC's offered to those on VS and those that apply for a TC directly?

Thanks in advance! :)
    BCLP VS is now closed

iz1

Jan 5, 2024
    Maybe. I don't know - I need to ask him. I'm non-law, so maybe that's why I'm on a different timescale? My other law friend has got an AC invite and he applied a few days before the deadline like me. Hopefully, I'm in consideration for a later batch of ACs...
    If the PFO was post-WG those of us who are still waiting to hear back from them would seem to be sort of on hold?? Which would be really weird because someone here who got an AC invite said there were limited options available on the calendar so it seems like they're done with the AC invites

NJS

Legendary Member
  • Aug 21, 2021
    Okay so my Linklaters app is at 77% and on hold. Does this mean a PFO? Please help!!
    I honestly would just forget about it until the email comes, I got rejected then unrejected on the system, I think someone got a summer ac, and I've heard nothing when applying for the spring ac, so I think the whole system itself is a bit messy.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Currently doing my Travers Smith cover letter. Is 900 words too much or is it ok? I’m trying to cut it down but I feel like I’m removing important things.
    I’d try to cut it by about 50-75 words if you can but it’s not completely necessary to do so if your writing is structured and concise:m.

Remember to not repeat info in other sections (like your work experience descriptions). This post may also help with conciseness - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....r-applications-within-their-word-limits.3701/

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.